Dish Mover from rented townhouse to purchased house

toddhawk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Lancaster, WI
Just had an interesting call with DISH. I FINALLY sold my house in another venue and could buy in the area I'm in now (NE Indiana). In 3 weeks I move from my 2-story rented Townhouse to the home I'm purchasing 15 miles away. As I suspected, yesterday when the Landlord rep took me through the "what had to be done before I leave" checklist, she said that everything that DISH put into and outside my townhouse (the dish's, polls, cables everything) had to be removed. All I could leave were the holes in the wall where they screwed in the cable holders.

I've done 3 other moves with Dish and each time they tell you to leave everything except your receivers and remotes which you take with you. Since my travel schedule will leave me limited time in the townhouse before I close on the house, I figured I'd call DISH and see what about the rest of the stuff. They said I'd have to remove it all myself (which was no surprise and I'm OK with that). So I asked them if I should just bring it all out to use at the new house and they said no. I asked them what to do with the dish's, cables, LNB and polls and they said realistically I'd just have to throw it away. When DISH would come to install my new setup, apparently they're required to use new equipment.

So my question especially to any DISH reps on here is this: I hate to see stuff that is 8 months old thrown away that is pretty much new. Is there a place that takes this stuff back for resuing (I have a DISH retailer literally across the street from the townhouse)? Just curious. I understand why it's like that but throwing it away doesn't seem like the best use of resources. Thanks for any help and comments. GREAT FORUM SCOTT!!!

Hey todd!

The information given to you was correct on our side, we do like to usually do a new install and usually leave the old equipment in place at the previous residence. As you're required by your Landlord to move it you do actually have a few options you can try. I would talk to the retailer across the way and ask them if they can do a de-install for you, or ask if they can take the equipment. Usually retailers can make use of the equipment again (No guarantees though). If they're unable to take it, then it may have to be tossed after all.

You can also take the equipment to your new location if it's no trouble. If it's re-usable the tech may be able to use the existing equipment you bring. If it's not then he would put in new equipment. If he can't use it he may take it back with him, or have to toss it. If you have the extra room and it's no trouble it can't hurt to bring it and see what the tech can do (Also no guarantees he can). That or as above you can check out the retailer regarding it.

Thanks Thomas. I appreciate these options. I just told me wife (who's with the grandchildren for 3 weeks) about this and she said this would be a REAL problem as they poured some cement to secure the polls. I do NOT want to have to deal with that. So I guess a walk across the street is in order. I'll keep you posted.
Todd

Thanks Thomas. I appreciate these options. I just told me wife (who's with the grandchildren for 3 weeks) about this and she said this would be a REAL problem as they poured some cement to secure the polls. I do NOT want to have to deal with that. So I guess a walk across the street is in order. I'll keep you posted.
Todd
if you were local.. I'd take that stuff.. rather than have you throw it out.. LOL..

kinda stupid that the home owner wouldn't let you leave the dish and pole outback .. incentive to the next renter ... and so that renter doesn't have to have new holes punched, unless they wanted to relocate etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts