Dish Mover not such a benefit...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
I've been a loyal Dish subscriber for about 9 years now. Got the 501 DVRs, then the 508 and am now on to a pair of the dual 722 HD boxes.

I moved recently and after hearing all the ads in the past on what to do when you move, I called up and requested dish mover. I remembered it as a free service...you leave your dishes w/ all switches and wiring at the old place (Dish now has a base for a new customer) and they'll come install what you need at the new place! As has probably already been discussed here, that is no longer the case.

I was quoted $100+ (I forget the exact amount) just to move and use dish mover. Or, I could get on their service plan and then it'd only be $15. They informed me I could cancel the plan at any time in the future (for a $25 cancellation fee). I wasn't happy about it, but it was my only option so I chose that route.

They came, did an okay job (missed one appointment, did okay on the second), then I got a bill for an additional $50, plus some other fees I wasn't expecting, but were creditted to me. The $50 was to install a second dish. I pointed out that I had two Dishes at the old house, and would have taken it with me if I knew they were going to charge me that (unquoted) on top of the other fees. This prompted a conversation with a very rude supervisor, I asked for another supervisor and was put on hold for well over an hour! (no, I wouldn't normally wait that long but I put the phone on speaker and did some painting).

Anyway, the experience so soured me with Dish that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else and if/when I move again I'll change services. With Verizon FIOS, DirectTV and Comcast all offering solid plans to my house, I would have thought Dish would work just a little harder to keep a long term customer. I know they have costs as well, but I could sign up as a new customer for cheaper than I was charged for being loyal.

I guess it was the experience, on top of the automated customer service, long hold times and unfriendly and unhelpful operators that sealed the deal.

Dish...I still have 'em, but wouldn't recommend 'em. What a pain in the butt they are.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/support/moving/default.aspx

DishMOVER: A fee will apply for the technician visit. Additional installation charges may apply, including for customers with non-qualifying International programming, markets requiring a second DISH Network antenna and installations requiring additional equipment. Additional charges will apply for customers with more than 6 tuners. Limited to existing residential DISH Network subscribers who reside in the continental U.S. Existing residential DISH Network subscribers who reside in Hawaii or Alaska should contact their participating authorized DISH Network Retailer for similar offers.
Equipment upgrade: requires 24-month commitment to qualifying programming. If qualifying service is terminated prior to end of 24-month period, a cancellation fee of $17.50 per cancelled month of service will apply. Some customers may not be eligible. Receiver is leased and must be returned to DISH Network if qualifying programming is downgraded or terminated. Installation restrictions apply. Limits apply to number of tuners/receivers. Maximum of one DISH'n It Up upgrade transaction per 12-month period (unless upgrading to HD for the first time). For each receiver activated beyond the first, a monthly equipment rental fee will apply based on receiver model. HD programming requires HD television (sold separately). Offers valid through 5/31/10 and subject to change without notice. ©2010, DISH Network L.L.C. All rights reserved.

I hear you, but note that those are new terms. Additionally, when I was on the phone setting up the move I very clearly asked what all the charges would be. I was not directed to a website for details, and I was not told about the additional $50. They were looking on the screen at my account and knew I had 3 receivers, 2 dishes, and a few switches and I wanted the exact same setup at the new place. When I called back with my bill and stated I was charged a fee which was not previously disclosed to me, the response was "but that is a valid fee." "But I was not told of this fee." "but this is a valid fee." ...etc.

Used to be free. You call them, you leave the gear at the old place, bring your receivers with you, they set you up at the new place, shake your hand and you're off to paying your typical $100+ / month bill like nothing happened.

So, I'm not saying this policy is not currently documented, just that is is stupid in the current competitive market place. Or maybe I'm just saying that it pissed me off. Yeah, nobody can dispute with that one. :)

I believe the DISHMOVER program changed as of February 1st.

It was free, but now is $15 is you have the protection plan or $90 if you do not.

Prior to Feb. 1, E* subs got one free Dishmover per lifetime. If you had DHPP, you had unlimited free Dishmovers. There was always a charge for a second antenna to the best of my knowledge. I did battle with them myself over this issue a year ago. What I don't understand is why you now have two antennas. Everyone, with some exceptions, is supposed to be either pure western arc or pure eastern arc now. I hope you don't have a D500 for 110/119 and another for 61.5. If you do, call them and have them come take that away and give you a 1000.4 instead as that's what should have happened in the first place. If you have the mixed arc set up I noted, you will have to have them back out, possibly at your expense, to get a 1000.4 anyway. The national HD is leaving 61.5 at yearend based on current plans.

Prior to Feb. 1, E* subs got one free Dishmover per lifetime. If you had DHPP, you had unlimited free Dishmovers. There was always a charge for a second antenna to the best of my knowledge. I did battle with them myself over this issue a year ago. What I don't understand is why you now have two antennas. Everyone, with some exceptions, is supposed to be either pure western arc or pure eastern arc now. I hope you don't have a D500 for 110/119 and another for 61.5. If you do, call them and have them come take that away and give you a 1000.4 instead as that's what should have happened in the first place. If you have the mixed arc set up I noted, you will have to have them back out, possibly at your expense, to get a 1000.4 anyway. The national HD is leaving 61.5 at yearend based on current plans.

Interesting. Let me explain my setup and you tell me if I should be calling 'em back! (I'm not happy, at all, about how my cables were routed on the house as it is)

I have two 722 receivers (2 dual tuner, obviously).
I then hook up my old 508 as a guest room television.
He told me that I wouldn't have needed the 2nd Dish if I didn't have the 508.

Not knowing about the 1000.4 Dish, I just figured they didn't have enough LNBs on the one Dish to handle the 5th tuner. ?

Thanks for the info, either way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)