Dish Network 3rd-quarter profit falls

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Plus, around half of DirecTV's ads were in their Latin America service. I bet the Dish ads were primarily English.

I think you meant " adds ".

I suppose it is not a misspelling, since it is not a real word ( which would be "additions" ).

" Ads " means " advertisements ".

So, while most of the " their " and " there " or " loose " and " lose " just end up making people look like trailer trash, in this case, it entirely changed the meaning, as I was about to make the point that Dish Network has plenty of advertisements on hispanic channels... when I realized what you must have meant...

Where did you get that # for DTV? They ended up with 136k not 298k.

I was including DirecTV Latin America:

Continued strong subscriber growth fuels revenue increase as DIRECTV Latin America and DIRECTV U.S. attain 162,000 and 136,000 net subscriber additions, respectively, in the third quarter
And shoot me ksuart, I forgot a "d". I know the difference. I just didn't double hit the d. I suppose you never made a typo?

In the market area that I call home, it is very apparent that Dish subs are gaining strength from cable customer rate increases. The digital conversion sub gains are not the tech advantages, but HD tech is still strong. Have seen a strong response to the "future proof " sales approach that Dish finally started offering this past August. It was announced that the very popular "YEAR of Cinemax for a penny" offer is SOON to expire. This was a customer service goodie that will be missed. Congratulations, Charlie for a better than average quarter.

Positive reports are a great thing for Dish as I think many are seeing if you want alot of HD, and can live without the superfan pack, nd I am also guessing the MLB packaking, Dish may be a choice for you. Nothing scentific at all, but it seems I have seen many posts saying they are switch from Direct to Dish, recently. This coming from someone who had Direct for almost ten years and now I am with dish and enjoy it!

Hopefully they market the features of the 922 to the masses, and more come over to he other side!

Last edited:
Good numbers, no doubt - better than expected. Can't help but wonder what percentage of the new subs were the former eye patch crowd that got shut down?

Profitability percentages are a little lower than anyone would like to see (ROI), but not at all bad in this economy.

Finally, a net increase in subs. Personally, I believe the greatest factor to Dish's continued loss, several quarters after the AT&T goodbye, was Dish stinky customer service. The attitude had been, "if you don't like it, fine, we will expedite closing your account." The huge attitude change from all levels of CSR was tremendous. Now, if one calls and expresses problems with service or upgrades, Dish really tries hard to solve or do what it can to keep you from leaving. That attitude also changed for the better for new subscribers who had concerns about their install.

A very close 2nd reason for the "large" number of net subs is Dish's much more effective and, not quite ubiquitous when compared with its competition, more frequent TV advertising that focused not just on price, but, for once, technology as a response to FiOS, Uverse, and Direc TV's trumpeting of their technology. All IMHO.

Of course it costs a lot of $$$ to get and keep customers, and that is something Wall Street really doesn't get. Remember, all of Direc TV's gains were at the cost of profit, as well as at Dish.

Lesson: it really isn't that difficult to get and keep subs: Have excellent customer service and make your TV ads count, even in this very crowded, noisy and competitive industry with FiOS, Cable, Uverse, and Direc TV just airing ads on just about every channel of every hour. Today, there was a FiOS ad and a TWC ad back to back. The difficulty is the higher expense of providing quality CS and not letting people leave the service, while trying to please Wall Street who have never liked one penny of those costs.

Keep things going in this direction, Charlie.

Great news. I guess the Slump is over for Dish Network.
Not sure why so many of you thought E* was going to lose subs this quarter. Boy were you guys wrong.
E* IMO has been doing everything right for the past year, and its showing. And will continue to show.
Number 1 in DVR,Price and HD.
And will continue NUMBER 1

Great news. I guess the Slump is over for Dish Network.
Not sure why so many of you thought E* was going to lose subs this quarter. Boy were you guys wrong.
E* IMO has been doing everything right for the past year, and its showing. And will continue to show.
Number 1 in DVR,Price and HD.
And will continue NUMBER 1

"Everything right" is a stretch.

I think there will be some gains this winter too then another slump will come next year like it did this year, especially when Cinemax for a penny customers quit getting their Cinemax. I bet that helped a lot on keeping their existing customers along with the $10 off discounts. Those two things could have made the difference for them and it is better for them to do that financially than to not lose customers. Did it say in the report if the churn rate was down or not?

I think there will be some gains this winter too then another slump will come next year like it did this year, especially when Cinemax for a penny customers quit getting their Cinemax. I bet that helped a lot on keeping their existing customers along with the $10 off discounts. Those two things could have made the difference for them and it is better for them to do that financially than to not lose customers. Did it say in the report if the churn rate was down or not?

It did say that the churn was down. Good news for Dish that their customer service is improving.

What everyone will see in the next couple of years is a lot of up's and down's in customer #'s with all service providers.

You will see D* #'s drop as customers promos end and they get the real bill and go into sticker shock. I see this every day at events my retailers do.
I also see this happening with Verizon FIOS customers.

This will happen to Dish as well when this round of $15 promo customers start getting their real bills. It will be a never ending cycle of promo hoppers unless the providers decide to stop discounting programming as a promotion.
It would be real nice if the programmers would just stop raising their rates so that the providers can just offer a fair price that everyone can afford.

Whenever it states that they have a gain, it does not neccessarily mean that they ADDED that many more customers than the last quarter if they prevented a lot of churn.

Charlie stating that he does not want to offer discounts anymore means that he must not be seeing any advantage of offering these if those same customers are dropping the service after the discounts are over with. How about offering their good customers that pay on time an ongoing discount and if they switch providers they will not get that same discount if they come back to prevent them from jumping ship.

It did say that the churn was down. Good news for Dish that their customer service is improving.

What everyone will see in the next couple of years is a lot of up's and down's in customer #'s with all service providers.

You will see D* #'s drop as customers promos end and they get the real bill and go into sticker shock. I see this every day at events my retailers do.
I also see this happening with Verizon FIOS customers.

This will happen to Dish as well when this round of $15 promo customers start getting their real bills. It will be a never ending cycle of promo hoppers unless the providers decide to stop discounting programming as a promotion.
It would be real nice if the programmers would just stop raising their rates so that the providers can just offer a fair price that everyone can afford.

As long as you can subscribe to Dish's AEP and the DVR fee is included(something DirecTV's Premier package does not have anymore) Dish will keep their edge over DirecTV.Plus Dish's AEP is cheaper than DirecTV's Premier(and Dish has more movie channels).;)

And this is in standard definition!.:D

and Dish's 625 DVR is awesome!.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)