Dish Network 6000 and component video

G

Original poster
Question:

I have a Magnavox 60” projector TV that IU bought 2 years ago that IS NOT high definition but does come with a component video port that the manual describes it as a “future digital input device”. I am currently using the port for my DVD player, which makes DVDs look 10 times better than a DVD through a S-Video port. Anyone know if the component video port on a Dish Network 6000 Receiver will work on my TV since it is not truly a HDTV?

Thanks.

If you have a 6000 receiver you do not need a High definition TV to get HD net, Discover and ESPN. You can use your super video output the picture is amazing but it's not High definition in otherwords HBO on 9440 is 100% better than channel 300.

Bill

ok.

I guess my question is will my non-hdtv (with a component video input) be any better off with a 6000 reciever running component video than the 301 reviever that I use now with s-video?

The manual for the 6000 states:

Attention: Make sure that the TV’s Y/Pr/Pb inputs are for HD (that is, 1080I or 720P). Some TVs have Y/Pr/Pb inputs for DVD players (480P),
which will not work with the receiver’s Y/Pr/Pb outputs.

As Bill states, you don't really need digital component input to get some benefit from this receiver because the output to the S-Video port is pretty good as it is. If your purchase the 6000 and you ever upgrade your TV, you're all set to go but in the the meantime, you can get HDTV channels and the down conversion is very good.

Hope this helps,
north

Thanks North and Bill.

Last question then. Is the S-Video port on the 6000 reciever any better than my 301 reciever's S-video port? I would think not. I just want to get a better picture on my TV than my 301 S-Video.

If you subscribe to HBO or Showtime you will get a better picture. Plus you can get the High definition channels with your subscription but all the other regular chanels will be the same picture your getting now.

Bill

north said:
As Bill states, you don't really need digital component input to get some benefit from this receiver because the output to the S-Video port is pretty good as it is. If your purchase the 6000 and you ever upgrade your TV, you're all set to go but in the the meantime, you can get HDTV channels and the down conversion is very good.

Hope this helps,
north
Just a point of clarification... Component cables are NOT digital but are indeed a Analog signal.

plato98 said:
Thanks North and Bill.

Last question then. Is the S-Video port on the 6000 reciever any better than my 301 reciever's S-video port? I would think not. I just want to get a better picture on my TV than my 301 S-Video.

They are better in that you can view downrezzed HD material on the S-Video port, which does make it better than the 301.

I record downrezzed material off the S-Video port of my 6000 onto a JVC 30000 D-VHS deck all the time and the resulting playback on my projector at 110" diagonal looks as good as a DVD.

If the set had component inputs for 480p, and the 6K can be set to output 480p, why can't he use the 480p connections and forget about the S-video connectors and get an even better picture?

plato98 said:
Question:

I have a Magnavox 60” projector TV that IU bought 2 years ago that IS NOT high definition but does come with a component video port that the manual describes it as a “future digital input device”. I am currently using the port for my DVD player, which makes DVDs look 10 times better than a DVD through a S-Video port. Anyone know if the component video port on a Dish Network 6000 Receiver will work on my TV since it is not truly a HDTV?

Thanks.

DONATE the old tech TV for a charity write off & then go BUY a true HDTV NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert :p

I am not trying to slam you but why would you buy a 60" tv even 2 yrs ago that was not High Def?

Yeah, Svideo is Svideo, If its in the 6000 or the 301. If the picture looks better down-converted through svideo on the 6000, its because that signal is a better quality then what the 301 is receiving.

Most newer tvs are converting the incoming 480i, 720p and 1080i signals into there own native format. This is true especially on the Sony LCD projections. I believe it converts it to 768p.

And yes, component connections are still analog. For a true digital signal you need to use the DVI interface. Again, most newer tvs have this interface included, but there is only a small number of accessories you can purchase that have the DVI interface. I have seen (2) dvd players with it, but both got unfavorable reviews with regard to picture quality. Now I say, if I am spending extra bucks for a dvd w/ aa DVI, then there better be no picture quality problems. I think we need to wait for the DVI interface to become more recognized in the consumer market. I believe the new 921 will have a DVI interface