DISH Network and Echostar Statement Regarding PTO Ruling

What may happen at the en banc is the that the judges will postpone any decision until the PTO & TIVO have final agreement (pending a possible appeal). Can TIVO hope to be able to hold out that long. Now the other companies that TIVO has tried to screw will also apply for some type of postponement in those cases. I think that we may be seeing the real reason that MGT of TIVO took their money recently when they could. Charlie may be able to buy TIVO at the fire sale as the stock is likely to hit a new low.

I agree and it is kind of what I said in post #20.

They have more than 1 patent but the ones against E* is now what is jeopardy.
Now the real reason that all of this has happened is Bob Howler (Haller) just bought a TIVO. As soon as that happened TIVO was doomed. :D:D I warned you about getting that TIVO Bob.

:up:up:up:D:D:D:D

In a similar way, the Appeals Court here may still punish Dish for its legal tactics, and ignore the fact that Dish was right, and TiVo was wrong, in terms of the patent itself...
Though you may be right (and Tivo says as much in their written response to today's action) all I got to say is "that's crazy talk!"

Imagine you are on the jury that has convicted me for killing Cock Robin and are now at the sentencing phase determining whether I get the death penalty or life imprisonment.

And in walks Cock Robin.

Cocky

Though you may be right (and Tivo says as much in their written response to today's action) all I got to say is "that's crazy talk!"

Imagine you are on the jury that has convicted me for killing Cock Robin and are now at the sentencing phase determining whether I get the death penalty or life imprisonment.

And in walks Cock Robin.

Damn that Cocky sucker he was just hiding it all along. Sounds like something TIVO would do. :D Think TIVO stock will hit a new low?

The patent is still valid in the eyes of the law. Only until TiVo has completed all possible appeals and lost them all will it be considered invalid. The Dish/Tivo case will probably be long over with by then. TiVo has a patent board to appeal to then the federal court system. It can be appealled all the way the the SCOTUS.

The patent is still valid in the eyes of the law. Only until TiVo has completed all possible appeals and lost them all will it be considered invalid. The Dish/Tivo case will probably be long over with by then. TiVo has a patent board to appeal to then the federal court system. It can be appealled all the way the the SCOTUS.

Mike,

With that said TIVO is bleeding money month after month. The question is really if they stay above water till all the legal wrangling is over.

TIVO can not take to many more hits like they took today. Whether you are a TIVO Fanboy or not the simple fact is that TIVO can only survive if they can force more providers into licensing agreements. More and more players that might be interested signing agreements are likely to take a wait and see attitude, TIVO can't afford to keep losing their subscriber base and not signing new agreements. With the TIVO en Banc setback and now the Patent office questioning if they even have an enforceable patent, more and more companies will take a wait and see approach regarding signing any TIVO licensing deal.

If I ever owned any TIVO stock I would have sold long ago. Day by Day it looks more and more dire for TIVO, nobody but nobody signs on to a sinking ship.

John

John L. You should examine Tivo's annual report. Last I looked at it the subscriptions were pocket change. Less than $170,000 I recall and dropping fast. To have subscriptions support the company, they would need an act of God miracle. The hardware production costs and sales costs exceed their wholesale pricing so that isn't good either.
On the plus side they have no debt and a nice supply of cash but based on the math I predict they will go through that cash by summer of 2011. They need to sell more stock, float a corporate bond or borrow from the bank to remain in business. They were really banking on winning or be out of business. Why do you think all the insiders have cashed in on those options?

Also, didn't Bob buy a lifetime with that TIVO? :D

Elaborate. Do you think they have a trick up their sleeve?
I simply see no point in not filing an appeal immediately.

1. They have nothing to gain by waiting; recent PTO activity hasn't been decidedly supportive.
2. Their press release states that they are going to continue "to explain the validity of the claims under review."

I say with this, it is time for Charlie to make an offer. Echostar buying Tivo has more value than just ending litigation. It gives them a marketing arm (albeit a weak one) for future QAM set top boxes, like that T-1022 or whatever it was called they showed at CES one year. With the superiority of Echostar boxes, I still think there can be a market for a 3rd party DVR for people stuck with cable but who hate their crappy SA/Moto boxes.

If the courts award damages based on a patent that is later found invalid, shouldn't the recipient of the damages be required to return the money?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts