DISH Network and Lifetime Reach Multi-Year Agreement

way2rude4u said:
Regardless of who caved, it just shows that E* is more about quanity than quality programming. Oh well more channels that won't be in MY favorites list.

I agree with you 1000% Some people on this site are complaining about the price increases for HD, DVR, ect BUT at least E* stood their ground on this and MAYBE, just MAYBE this may send a message to the other program providers to keep your prices REALISTIC!:)

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Looks like Louise and the execs over at Lifetime broke out the knee pads.

Lifetime Movies now has a worse slot (AT180 instead of AT120 like before the channel being pulled)

And Lifetime Real Women stayed off. (Lifetime WAS demanding that any deal would require the addition LRW)

There is one thing I am still wondering about this deal..... Did Louise and the Lifetime Execs spit or swallow?

RVD420 said:
Looks like Louise and the execs over at Lifetime broke out the knee pads.

There is one thing I am still wondering about this deal..... Did Louise and the Lifetime Execs spit or swallow?

You eat with that mouth? You reckon Ole Charlie got the best of them like he' did us?

I think Charlie has learned his lesson as it is Louise who is wearing the pants and sporting the strap-on appliances in this relationship: Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network AND Lifetime Real Women on Dish Network... who woulda thunk it. I'm sure Charlie is paying the reasonable price increase...and I'm sure Louise tossed Charlie a bone by letting him move it into AT180. Yep, it's beginning to look like Charlie got bent over and rode harder than any cowboy on Brokeback Mountain.:eek::rolleyes: :D

Hold on! Did you notice that as part of the deal E* does NOT have to pay the Hearst-Argyle local stations ANYTHING as part of the deal with Lifetime? They had reached agreement with those stations seperately before the Lifetime talks broke down and it was a pretty high-cost deal (something like 45 cents per subscriber for each of the stations). Now -- they get nothing -- so I think Charlie did OK.

TBarclay said:
Hold on! Did you notice that as part of the deal E* does NOT have to pay the Hearst-Argyle local stations ANYTHING as part of the deal with Lifetime? They had reached agreement with those stations seperately before the Lifetime talks broke down and it was a pretty high-cost deal (something like 45 cents per subscriber for each of the stations). Now -- they get nothing -- so I think Charlie did OK.
The only known is that customers keep getting screwed in these programming disputes. Both parties hold hands and sing Kumbaya once they ink a deal and we're left wondering what happened.:confused:

I don't think they were paying anything for the broadcast properties BEFORE all this. We will bnever know who "won" or "lost". I negotiate fora living and frankly I don't think that those terms are relevant most of the time.

John Kotches said:
The 3rd channel is missing (Lifetime Real Women I think), so I think I know who won ;)

Cheers,

Missing for now. there may be more.

way2rude4u said:
The quality of programming would be for channels to be in FULL HD not in HD lite as they have been for some time now. That is what I was referring to.
Despite the impressions you would get by reading this forun, HD is still a niche market. SD is still king for now. And the HD early adopters have shown they will pay $$$ for any package Dish is willing to throw together, lite or not.

I don't think Charlie would have made a separate deal with the Hearst-Argyle broadcast group just to end up paying MORE for Lifetime than he would if they had been linked. He must have gotten something out of the deal that was worth his while. He was well on his way to booting Lifetime off of Dish altogether, and he would have done it too if he couldn't have his way with them. IMHO Lifetime was in the weaker position here.

My guess (and it is only that) is that Charlie did not want to start losing locals. He cut a deal with the Hearst group and always intended to either fold it into a Lifetime agreement or in the worst case avoid the wrath of subs in Hearst cities who would be upset over the loss of locals.

I am just glad that they settled. wew ill eventually see if LRW is added to the deal but the Lifetime fans out tehre can enjoy their channels as before although one moved up a tier) and perhaps it even proddedan Oxygen deal.

I don't think subs got screwed at all in this deal.

Lifetime viewers were deprived of their channel for a month, and now get everything back plus possibly an extra Lifetime channel plus Oxygen.

Tom Bombadil said:
I don't think subs got screwed at all in this deal.

Lifetime viewers were deprived of their channel for a month, and now get everything back plus possibly an extra Lifetime channel plus Oxygen.

Good point. Who really won here? WE DID! :D :D :D

CPanther95 said:
No question who won this battle and the E* vs. OLN battle.

The big ones are a different story.

There is a big difference between the Lifetime battle and the OLN battle. The owners of Lifetime have 1 concern making the most money from Lifetime. The owners of OLN also have only 1 concern, MAKING THE MOST MONEY FROM COMCAST CABLE. If Comcast really did ONLY CARE ABOUT MAKING THE MOST MONEY FROM OLN, there would be an agreement by now, but Comcast is a lot more willing than lifetime to have Dish ditch OLN and then hopefully increase the number of Comcast customers. This is why vertical monopolies are so dangerous. So, I'm not 100% sure who won(almost certainly DISH based on OLN's NHL ratings), but I know who the LOSER is, THE NHL. They are getting hosed bigtime here. They need as many people watching as possible and now the broadcaster who is supposed to be doing everything it can to increase viewership, is doing just the opposite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts