Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
New DISH Network Campaign Promises 'Better TV for All'; Six of Every 10 Former Cable Customers Label Digital Cable 'Poor Value'

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 16, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service today unveiled a dynamic, nationwide branding and advertising campaign with a money-saving offer for new customers. The campaign, declaring that DISH Network is "Better TV for All," will appeal particularly to dissatisfied cable customers.

Based on public reports, 1.2 million households have switched to satellite TV since January, bringing satellite's share of pay-TV users to more than 25 percent. According to a recent survey conducted by the Leichtman Research Group, Inc., 60 percent of former digital cable subscribers who maintain a pay-TV subscription cite expense and "poor value" as the top reasons for dropping the service. DISH Network's new campaign alerts dissatisfied cable customers to the better option of satellite TV.

Simply stated, "Better TV for All" means DISH Network offers the lowest all-digital price in America, with award-winning customer satisfaction and the latest technology.

"Research indicates that most cable subscribers don't know the benefits of satellite TV," said Michael Neuman, president and chief operating officer of EchoStar. "A significant percentage of them have no idea that DISH Network is less expensive than digital cable despite DISH Network's lowest all-digital price in America. This new campaign will educate those unhappy cable TV watchers."

A Federal Communications Commission (FCC) report on cable industry prices released in February confirmed that DISH Network programming packages cost 20 percent less than those typically offered by digital cable.

The "Better TV for All" campaign promotes DISH Network's commitment to protect television viewers across the country from inferior picture quality, sub-standard customer service and outrageous prices forced upon them by cable providers.

The campaign's new elements include updated graphics, a re-designed website and an edgy television, print and radio advertising effort. The advertisements serve as a wake-up call to people who have endured over-priced digital cable service too long.

"Our new campaign and positioning statement, 'Better TV for All,' aims to remind people how unhappy they are with their current cable-TV service," said Jody Martin, DISH Network senior vice president of Marketing. "We want everyone to know that they have a better choice in pay TV, and it's DISH Network."

Celebrating the campaign, DISH Network is offering new customers one month free service and three free months of HBO, Showtime and Cinemax when they sign up for any qualifying programming package. The offer comes complete with free standard professional installation, no hardware to buy and a free digital video recorder (DVR) equipment upgrade with an 18-month commitment. The basic package, America's Top 60, includes more than 60 all-digital channels, with locals in more than 160 markets, for only $31.99 per month following the first month.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com , call 800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print-quality images of all the graphical elements associated with the new brand campaign, DISH Network equipment or installations, visit www.dishnetwork.com/pressroom .

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 11.4 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 800-333-DISH (3474).
</FONT>
CONTACT: EchoStar Communications Corporation Mark Cicero, 720-514-5351 press@echostar.com SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corporation​

Scott Greczkowski said:
Celebrating the campaign, DISH Network is offering new customers one month free service and three free months of HBO, Showtime and Cinemax when they sign up for any qualifying programming package. The offer comes complete with free standard professional installation, no hardware to buy and a free digital video recorder (DVR) equipment upgrade with an 18-month commitment. The basic package, America's Top 60, includes more than 60 all-digital channels, with locals in more than 160 markets, for only $31.99 per month following the first month.​

This makes me laugh... "Celebrating".... Is this really a new promo? It seems like the same one they've been offering for months now.

does anyone agree with me that dish should've removed the upper have circle/orb thingy when they removed the bottom part?

Leaving it there makes the logo look a little stupid.

I wish they'd get a more modern logo, period. Making a tiny omission from the logo doesn't constitute a new logo...

So most people find cable to be overpriced, gee whiz, someone call the papers...

18 month commitment now eh? How long until E* and D* are up to 3-5 year commitments? Forget pricing, these commitments is what keeps people from leaving cable...

I have them coming back to cable after there commitments. in my case, I have the better value. I have some channels that's in the Dish 120 or 180 package in a cheaper package for under $33 a month including locals. the 4 rooms for free deal they offer, three of those receivers will cost you $360 in two years, $5 per receiver. I charge $25 one time fee per outlet to install with no monthly charges. If I install 4 outlets total, the first one is on us, the other three would cost upfront $75. in two years that averages out to $3.125 per month after four years $1.5625 a month on average by this time with dish, you will have paid $720 for three extra receivers in four years. cable overpriced ??? call the papers !!!

cablewithaview said:
I have them coming back to cable after there commitments. in my case, I have the better value. I have some channels that's in the Dish 120 or 180 package in a cheaper package for under $33 a month including locals. the 4 rooms for free deal they offer, three of those receivers will cost you $360 in two years, $5 per receiver. I charge $25 one time fee per outlet to install with no monthly charges. If I install 4 outlets total, the first one is on us, the other three would cost upfront $75. in two years that averages out to $3.125 per month after four years $1.5625 a month on average by this time with dish, you will have paid $720 for three extra receivers in four years. cable overpriced ??? call the papers !!!

Sure, but without boxes, all you will get is ANALOG cable. I have NEVER seen analog that looked good. The worst compression on D* is much more watchable then a good day watching analog channels on most cable systems.

JPointerWI said:
Sure, but without boxes, all you will get is ANALOG cable. I have NEVER seen analog that looked good. The worst compression on D* is much more watchable then a good day watching analog channels on most cable systems.

I just switched to Comcast from Dish Network. My locals were HORRIBLY compressed on dish to the point that they were unwatchable on my 51". My analogs look much better than that over-compressed crap that dish puts out.

Maybe this thread should be renamed the I Hate Dish thread. And cablewithaview, wherever you are located, I'm sure that many in this country will say that your market may be one of the FEW acceptions that boast more programming for less price than E* or D*. Good luck, and remember... it's only going to get worse for cable in the near future.

andrewe77 said:
I just switched to Comcast from Dish Network. My locals were HORRIBLY compressed on dish to the point that they were unwatchable on my 51". My analogs look much better than that over-compressed crap that dish puts out.

If you have a 51" TV (or monitor, as the case may be), then you should probably be watching HD locals, not and SD feed. I have only seen locals from Dish in a few major markets, so I cant speak for all 150+ DMA's that Dish carries, but the ones I have seen look the same as off air from a good antenna.

I'm sure there are some cable companies that can deliver a good signal to the customer, but Time Warner is NOT one of them.

Here the lowest basic cable pkg. is $47.95/mo. + taxes. Dish is $31.99 with locals and I have 2 DVR's for $9.98/mo. + $5.00 for 2nd receiver. It's about $50/mo. with taxes compared to cable with no receivers for the same. I know some folks want the 120 or 180 pkg. I don't see anything so great on cable's lineup w/out a Digi box.

Walker1 said:
Here the lowest basic cable pkg. is $47.95/mo. + taxes. Dish is $31.99 with locals and I have 2 DVR's for $9.98/mo. + $5.00 for 2nd receiver. It's about $50/mo. with taxes compared to cable with no receivers for the same. I know some folks want the 120 or 180 pkg. I don't see anything so great on cable's lineup w/out a Digi box.

If you were a new customer, you could get a 625 which would save you $10/month (assuming you keep it plugged into a phone line, no 2nd rec fee, no 2nd DVR fee).

If we want to compare apples to apples (this is based on TimeWarner) --
to get all the channels included in the standard "digital" cable package, you would need to subscribe to AT180, BUT with AT180 you get many more channels, including Encore, Sirius radio, and The Movie Channel, which brings the package price on cable to $77.35, and only $52.99 on Dish

Dish gives you options, and all the channels really are delivered in digital quality, not just the "premium" channels.

birddoggy said:
i scanned through the thread but i didn't see any mention, but dish has a new little website up called, www.suckfreetv.com its actually kinda clever, they have some commercial type skits, and a tv sucking game thing you can do,

I'm not clicking any link that says "Find out how to to stop the sucking"!! :shocked

I agree I will stay with dish till the day I die before I would go back to cable with all it's price hikes for nothing except gouging the customer.When Cable raises there prices they don't add any channels or anything.The only digital you get with cable is with a box so if you want it on all your tv's with digital you would have to get a box and pay the extra box fee with cable.I would go back to rabbit ears before I would go back to cable.

Have you guys played the simulator? You can make it suck the cat's skin into the tv, leaving only its bones standing.

You can also suck the clothes off some guy leaving him in his tighty whiteys.

I swear this whole ad campaign was designed by someone who was fired from MTV.

HokieEngineer said:
Have you guys played the simulator? You can make it suck the cat's skin into the tv, leaving only its bones standing.

You can also suck the clothes off some guy leaving him in his tighty whiteys.

I swear this whole ad campaign was designed by someone who was fired from MTV.

I happen to think it's kind of cool! At least they tried something.

60% of former customers slam cable? I'm not sure how great a selling point that is. I'll bet 70% of E*'s former customers slam E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)