DISH Network Content Delivery Via The Internet

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Does anybody here happen to know if DISH Network is planning on offering their service via internet anytime soon? I am certainly fine with satellite delivery now, but with the current trend towards Netflix, etc., I wonder if they will be able to offer a choice of delivery via satellite or the web soon?

Does anybody here happen to know if DISH Network is planning on offering their service via internet anytime soon? I am certainly fine with satellite delivery now, but with the current trend towards Netflix, etc., I wonder if they will be able to offer a choice of delivery via satellite or the web soon?
Like the Sling Extender for the 722k? Or the 922?

Like the Sling Extender for the 722k? Or the 922?

I guess I haven't been playing close enough attention then, is the Sling Extender available now? I thought that it had been delayed for an long time now.

Or via a Slingbox, a Dish company also?

Well, not exactly. I have the DISH Sling Adapter and I still get my content via satellite. I am wondering about getting all of the content via the internet. And, yes, I am running CAT5 to my 722k and I know about extra content there,too, but my main content is still via satellite.

Or via an app on a GoogleTV.

I haven't bought Google TV yet. Can you truly get ALL of DISH Network content via the internet this way? For example, lets say I live in a basement condo somewhere and absolutely could not get access to the satellites, can you get all of the DISH programming this way now?

Satellite delivery blows away Internet delivery right now... Yes I have tried out Uverse...

Tell me about Uverse. I have not tried that yet. I gather your experience was underwhelming then.

Last edited:
I guess I haven't been playing close enough attention then, is the Sling Extender available now? I thought that it had been delayed for an long time now.

Well, not exactly. I have the DISH Sling Adapter and I still get my content via satellite. I am wondering about getting all of the content via the internet. And, yes, I am running CAT5 to my 722k and I know about extra content there,too, but my main content is still via satellite.

I misspoke and called the Sling Adapter the Sling Extender. My bad. Sorry for any confusion.

You can get all of your content via the internet. You must have paid for it and either save it on your receiver or be receiving it live from your receiver.

There is no degradation in image or audio quality do to the act of recording or viewing live of the programming. Any degradation will be from the transmission process - the same issue that Netflix or any other source must address.

I don't understand your "issue." If you want to watch the ball game live tonight, you can. If you want to watch a PPV tomorrow you can. If you want to watch this year's Super Bowl that you saved, go for it. What other flexibility do you want?

what he is looking for i don't can happen. he is lookking for an ALL internet solution. no satellite at all.
What advantage does a "ALL internet" solution have over a receiver based internet solution?

The disadvantages I would see are that for "ALL internet" approach a ton of bandwidth would be required to simultaneously stream content to millions of different users. The Sat based system provides for bandwidth needs at the receiver to support steaming to one individual. Also, the "ALL internet" solution would require that all past episodes be stored if it is going to try to match the receiver based system capability to view past recorded events.

In other words, with my receiver based approach I can view my recording of last years World Series... the "ALL internet" approach would have to have saved that on massive servers in order to possibly match.

When Scott paid a visit to DISH's uplink center, he mentioned that they were building a HUGE data center right next to it. When he asked about it, it was going to be completed in the fall. What do you think it's for? My guess is for a new Blockbuster-branded streaming IP-VOD service for us DISH customers for anyone with a VIP with enough memory and processing power to handle it. I think the DISHOnline website is the first version of it.

All internet streaming also has the gotcha of data caps. More and more companies are putting them on their internet connections. AT&T just put it on their DSL and now Time Warner says they are going to begin testing data caps again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)