Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS!

Without wanting to sound unkind or harsh, but being on a fixed income does not mean you should be treated differently than anyone else. DISH itself has an overall common policy under which all customers fall under. Equal treament is not unfair...it's equal. The threat to switch to another service is often used by people wishing to manipulate others to do their bidding. Sir, you have not been treated unfairly. No one has violated an agreement with you, nor has anyone violated the terms of service with you. You just can't get someone to do what you feel intitled to, so you're making them out to be the "bad guy." I am DISH retailer and and installer, so I see this all the time. I tell folks that I treat everyone equally...I don't give special considerations or favors due to the fact that I would have to give them to everyone who thinks they deserve it...they're on a fixed income...their child is in jail...they're behind in their bills....they're going through a divorce...the list goes on. They may get mad at me for not giving them special treatment...but they cannot accuse me of not giving them equal treatment. Now, I am tempted at times to do special things (and at times I may do something small, like hook up their VCR or something) but I cannot do special things that will occupy extra amounts of uncompensated labor and materials.
Your relationship with DISH is a business relationship, and it based upon policies and rules that you agreed to when you established that relationship. If DISH has violated some rule or policy in their relationship with you, then bear witness of it. Specifically state what written policy has been violated and produce the evidence to prove your accustaions are justified.

uh.....ok.....I have no comment to that

Yep like WFN HD.....well hell I'll take some of the sporting events I recorded, turn them into stretch-o-vision, call it IS-HD (Iceberg's sports HD) and maybe then I can get "a channel" on Dish ;)

I think Dish folks would take sports in HD over QVC-HD, HSN-HD, Jewelry HD or TBN HD :)
Hey don't knock WFN, Thats has more HD then Quite a few of them other HD channels.
WFN has More HD content then all of E* HD rsn's put together.:p

Depending on where the OP is at in Florida a roof mount is not possible as spanish tile type roofs are the norm as opposed to asphalt and there are no mounts made for that kind of tile.

The op if he can afford it can have a 6x6x12 6x6x20 installed by a neighbor for around $50 or so and dish can install the reflector onto that. I've seen a super dish installed on a 6x6x20 back in Michigan years ago west of Jackson on Spring Arbor rd a quarter mile west of N Cross rd so that the dish could clear a stand of tree's south of the road ( older tree's really tall ) and giving that it was my coverage area I never heard of anyone going there for a service call so it must have worked.

and i know this sounds harsh and i will get slack for it, but why would dish care if your a disabled veteran on a fixed income?

As human beings we should care. And every installer, CEO, CSR, and customer is a human being. Some day we may be in same place.

Going the extra mile, being compassionate and helpful to those disabled, etc are redeeming human qualities. Corporations should care because life is more than just the bottom line.

I think your view is quite correct. It is how it is. My point is that it is not how it should be.

Those with disabilities do have money. They do buy things. They have dollars that are going to be given to some business, somewhere. It is in the best interest of every business to do well by ALL their customers.

Yes, there is the letter of the law, the contract, the policy. I have live long enough to know that those contracts and policies are broken, fudged, amended, tweaked, and even ignored at times.

While Dish may not be obligated..........perhaps, in going the extra mile to keep a customer, they do what they are not obligated to do. (which I am sure they do every day for someone)

Bruce

Last edited:
Without wanting to sound unkind or harsh, but being on a fixed income does not mean you should be treated differently than anyone else. DISH itself has an overall common policy under which all customers fall under. Equal treament is not unfair...it's equal. The threat to switch to another service is often used by people wishing to manipulate others to do their bidding. Sir, you have not been treated unfairly. No one has violated an agreement with you, nor has anyone violated the terms of service with you. You just can't get someone to do what you feel intitled to, so you're making them out to be the "bad guy." I am DISH retailer and and installer, so I see this all the time. I tell folks that I treat everyone equally...I don't give special considerations or favors due to the fact that I would have to give them to everyone who thinks they deserve it...they're on a fixed income...their child is in jail...they're behind in their bills....they're going through a divorce...the list goes on. They may get mad at me for not giving them special treatment...but they cannot accuse me of not giving them equal treatment. Now, I am tempted at times to do special things (and at times I may do something small, like hook up their VCR or something) but I cannot do special things that will occupy extra amounts of uncompensated labor and materials.
Your relationship with DISH is a business relationship, and it based upon policies and rules that you agreed to when you established that relationship. If DISH has violated some rule or policy in their relationship with you, then bear witness of it. Specifically state what written policy has been violated and produce the evidence to prove your accustaions are justified.

You have never, not one time, bent the rules, or did something that was not according to the contract, policies, etc. Not one time? Not one, single time, ever? :)

I want to believe you but, as a former business owner, I don't. I understand your way of doing things. But, I also know there are times that common sense, decency, etc says "screw the rules and policies. Let's take care of our customer."

After reading the original post and replies this is the only thing I want to know: at what point in the conversation do you throw out the "I'm a disabled vet on a fixed income" card to the DISH CSR?

At some point you have to let them know.

Do you do it in advance trying to generate sympathy or after you don't get what you want?

Probably after you don't get what you want. The OP may have a valid point, but being a retailer myself I see people trying to manipulate things all the time. Some people just think they are intitled to what they want. Companies may not always be compassionate but customers are not always so compassionate either. Who CAN you trust anymore?

I want to believe you but, as a former business owner, I don't. I understand your way of doing things. But, I also know there are times that common sense, decency, etc says "screw the rules and policies. Let's take care of our customer."

I have first of all a binding business agreement with EchoStar/DISH Network that outlines do's, don'ts, can and cannots. To violate those would be an end to my business, so I cannot afford to say "screw it" lest I get shut down. And as far as my customers go, common sense must prevail. Little favors that I do I can afford to offer to everyone. I do give very personalized service...but I do try to be fair and equal as best as I can. If someone is going to sing the "you done me wrong" song, however, the burden is on their shoulder. I refuse to be manipulated...there is a difference between being manipulated and being compassionate. I never said I don't ever do anything for anyone...but I do have to place reasonable limits on it, and I do not knowingly violate binding policies and agreements.

As human beings we should care. And every installer, CEO, CSR, and customer is a human being. Some day we may be in same place.

Going the extra mile, being compassionate and helpful to those disabled, etc are redeeming human qualities. Corporations should care because life is more than just the bottom line.

I think your view is quite correct. It is how it is. My point is that it is not how it should be.

Those with disabilities do have money. They do buy things. They have dollars that are going to be given to some business, somewhere. It is in the best interest of every business to do well by ALL their customers.

Yes, there is the letter of the law, the contract, the policy. I have live long enough to know that those contracts and policies are broken, fudged, amended, tweaked, and even ignored at times.

While Dish may not be obligated..........perhaps, in going the extra mile to keep a customer, they do what they are not obligated to do. (which I am sure they do every day for someone)

Bruce
That's all well and good.
Ask yourself, "where does it end?"
WHo gets to decide the criteria? How much money is to be lost doing these littel things for the endless parade of self proclaimed hardship cases?

I have used this analogy on many occasions. I will once more..
Suppose there is a heavily traveled roadway near your home. 100,000 per day use this road.
As you drive down the road you decide that gum wrapper you just removed form the fresh stick of Wrigley's needs a home. You toss it from the opened window of your car. After all, "it's just one little piece of paper"....
Ok now suppose, all 100,000 drivers on that same day decide to do the same....
What you end up with is a huge mess.
As business owners and agents, we are barraged with requests to do "this one little thing that will take 5 or ten minutes."....Or "company "A" should give me a break because of (fill in the blank)..."
Ya know what, if one wishes the charity or largesse of another they should seek out those who are in that business.
I find it incredible that those who trumpet the idea of compassion are so willing to be compassionate with other people's money.
You may call this harsh or refer to me as uncaring. Fine. I am harsh and uncaring. Whatever.

Bruce

Here is 'Social Justice' in all its glory!

I think the OP's point is that Dish, along with many businesses dealing directly with consumers, have the attitude that all one needs to do is pay more for this and that, as if money grows on trees and not at least expressing some understanding of the financial burden one must bear to get things fixed and working the way it is supposed to, especially in a situation when an agent for Dish, according to the facts as presented by the OP, caused the problem in the first place.

However, my advice would be for the OP to cancel Dish and take his business elsewhere (I hope he has options) because no company is going to get any message until people stop providing them business. It wasn't until Dish lost a whole lot of customers that Dish finally brought customer service up to par and changed the snotty attitudes of even a few people at the Executive Offices. Wow, how my butt has been licked ever since Dish lot customers big time, and that change has brought them more new customers than even DirecTV in the last quarter. We should hope the OP can choose from Cable, Uverse, FiOS, or whatever else may be available in his area.

Well given the op's experience and that of many others on this and other forums and sub loss and my recent experiences with dish it seems that dish is not going even a quarter mile to take care of its customers like it used to which was a word of mouth selling point that the company actually gave two bits for its customers. Couple this with an inability to count and a penchant for outright lying about its business and a cavalier attitude and you end up with what you see now voiced in consumer threads and splayed in commercials by its competitors.

Well given the op's experience and that of many others on this and other forums and sub loss and my recent experiences with dish it seems that dish is not going even a quarter mile to take care of its customers like it used to which was a word of mouth selling point that the company actually gave two bits for its customers. Couple this with an inability to count and a penchant for outright lying about its business and a cavalier attitude and you end up with what you see now voiced in consumer threads and splayed in commercials by its competitors.

I wouldn't confuse a few posters here who have issues with the overwhelming majority of satisfied DISH customers.

People complain when they have a problem, they typically do not sing praises when things are going ok.

DISH has over 14 million customers, a handful of people complain here. We know that the people that are members here are usually the most educated DISH customers or newbies with a problem looking for an answer.

We know way more about DISH than a normal customer does and we are way more vocal about it.

Probably after you don't get what you want. The OP may have a valid point, but being a retailer myself I see people trying to manipulate things all the time. Some people just think they are intitled to what they want. Companies may not always be compassionate but customers are not always so compassionate either. Who CAN you trust anymore?

Well you don't trust the corporation beyond the extent of their product because it's explicitly designed to take advantage of your situation (wallet). You definitely don't trust the customer because every customer is "that one exception which you should make". So technically, if asked, DISH has 14.1 million self-described "just this once" exceptions.

Problem is some of those millions of exceptions call more than once, or think that since "everyone else" gets an exception, they are that SPECIAL case who deserves two (I do agree they're special, I saw them licking the glass windows of the shortbus). And then you have 14.1 million people "deserving two exceptions".

In general, the only problem with capitalism is people who don't want to use their capital. That's not capitalism, that's missing the train when they were handing out brains. Lots of people appear to have missed the train... These are the people that should be expediently removed as customers. Don't pay, don't play.

I do like when they threaten to take their money somewhere else though. "So you are leaving because you want something free and I won't give it to you, for a company that will charge you for product, who you'll then leave because THEY didn't give you something free. See you in six months."

Comcrap are the ones who are rude hiring those country religious folks treating customers like crap.

I have been a long term customer of dish network, and now I am being told that they don't give a damn about me as a customer. Several Technicians (Satellites Unlimited, a Dish Contractor) have said I need a taller pole. I even had a taller pole that had been installed by Dish Network previously ... but one of the technicians removed it and took it instead of moving it about a foot. Now I am being told that Dish no longer furnishes the taller poles, and even if I purchased one they would not install the dish on the taller pole because it would not be on Dish Network equipment.

They want ME (a disabled veteran living on a fixed income) to pay for an Independent Retailer to travel here and install a taller pole and place their equipment on it.

According to the Management level of Customer Service at Dish Network NO ONE at Dish Network has the authority to allow an exception to their POLICY. I'm sorry that the CEO and Upper Level of Dish Network are so powerless....

I guess it's time for me to move to DirecTV (whom I was with before I moved to Dish Network) or the Digital Cable that's available in my area - I'm sure they will be glad to get my service (and money).

ask to speak to customer retention. you would be suprised with what they can do.

... It wasn't until Dish lost a whole lot of customers that Dish finally brought customer service up to par and changed the snotty attitudes of even a few people at the Executive Offices. Wow, how my butt has been licked ever since Dish lot customers big time, and that change has brought them more new customers than even DirecTV in the last quarter...

A similar thing happened with T-Mobile. I been with them for years. They bought out the first cell company I was with. T-Mobile customer service was so bad that I hated to call them about anything. I would have to document every name and every time that I spoke to them. All problems took between 3 & 4 phone calls to get resolved. Then about 2 years ago, after mass complaints about their customer service, they finally retrained their personal. Now it's a pleasure to call them. The first person you talk to usually take cares of the problem right then, no more having to go "up the chain of command".
Good customer service can be done if a company really cares about it.

Ghpr13:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts