Dish Network: Distant Networks

My distants are from the next door DMA but the signals are blocked over the air due to the altitude here in Beckley. How ever we get ABC in the clear and an ABC from a another DMA. We get NBC over the air in poor quality but the cable company takes the signal from the DMA and the next door DMA which is 50 miles away.

FOX is from the next door DMA with no station available localy. When the station demanded big bucks to air WVAH FOX 11 Charleston W-VA. FOX gave the cable company permission to air FOXNET in this market.

Still no sign of an over the air UPN / WB or MYXXX or CW here in Beckley

Bob

I just called DISH about an unrelated issue and noticed that they have added a menu option about Distant Networks before the main menu. Before the normal menu options, it said, "If you are calling about your Distant Network channels, press 1. Otherwise, press 2." I don't remember hearing that last week when I called.

That's not a good sign.... Sounds like they expect a surge in complaints..... Like that which would happen when networks go dark......

chaddux said:
I just called DISH about an unrelated issue and noticed that they have added a menu option about Distant Networks before the main menu. Before the normal menu options, it said, "If you are calling about your Distant Network channels, press 1. Otherwise, press 2." I don't remember hearing that last week when I called.

It's just a blurb explaining that they are working to keep DNS and that the CSR's don't have any further information. Nothing ominous here, just trying to keep call volume down.

NightRyder

New ala carte choices?

My winter home is in Florida. When I signed with D I was able to get ABC New York as an ala carte choice. No other ala carte networks were available. I've repeatedly applied for CBS and NBC New York waivers and been denied. This morning NBC New York, NBC Los Angeles and NBC Denver appeared as ala carte choices. Has there been some kind of agreement reached? BTW CBS still is not an ala carte choice, at least from my location.

This just in... The supreme court declined to issue an injuction to stay the appeals court ruling.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115626348104342321.html?mod=hps_us_at_glance_technology

WASHINGTON -- EchoStar Communications Corp. Tuesday failed to get an emergency stay from the U.S. Supreme Court to freeze a federal appeals court order barring it from rebroadcasting copyrighted television network shows.

The emergency appeal was rejected by Justice Clarence Thomas, who handled the petition on a case out of the Atlanta-based 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. EchoStar had filed the emergency appeal to freeze an 11th Circuit injunction barring it from providing broadcast TV programming to its subscribers.

The company wanted to avoid having the injunction take effect until after the Supreme Court decides whether to hear a separate appeal on the underlying legal issues.

...and cue the massive hordes to storm the CSR lines.

INCOMING!

Rural America. It's up to you now...... Get those congresspeople to ink a new law, or it's time to "move".

Last hurrah is yet to come:

EchoStar said it must file its appeal with the Supreme Court challenging the court rulings by Oct. 17, which means the justices won't act on the standard court appeal until the late fall.

mixz1 said:
My winter home is in Florida. When I signed with D I was able to get ABC New York as an ala carte choice. No other ala carte networks were available. I've repeatedly applied for CBS and NBC New York waivers and been denied. This morning NBC New York, NBC Los Angeles and NBC Denver appeared as ala carte choices. Has there been some kind of agreement reached? BTW CBS still is not an ala carte choice, at least from my location.
I was a bit confused with who your provider was (until I got to the part about Denver). D* is the abbreviation for DirecTV and E* for Echostar (Dish Network).

jhamps10 said:
or just fire the current congresspeople, and get new ones who care about us who watch satellite programming! (legally of course)

That is the whole point. You have not been viewing DNS legally.

The most statement of the judge found that Dish has continually (since 1998) and "egregiously" violated the law. That is why, he said, he ordered the draconian measure of ordering Dish to shut down all DNS, even those currently legal.

cforrest said:
Last hurrah is yet to come:

EchoStar said it must file its appeal with the Supreme Court challenging the court rulings by Oct. 17, which means the justices won't act on the standard court appeal until the late fall.

But that last hurrah could come (unless EchoStar reaches an agreement) long after it has to shut down DNS service -- most likely in the next few weeks.

The presiding judge has consistently denied requests for an extension. So even if the 11th Circuit Court appeal is filed by October 17, no decision would likely come for some time.

The longer Charlie waits, and the more the courts rule against him, the weaker his bargaining position and the more he will have to pay to settle. But that is where it now stands: if he reaches a settelement agreement, the DNS can stay on. Otherwise he must shut it off for everyone.

Last edited:
fredfa said:
That is the whole point. You have not been viewing DNS legally.

The most statement of the judge found that Dish has continually (since 1998) and "egregiously" violated the law. That is why, he said, he ordered the draconian measure of ordering Dish to shut down all DNS, even those currently legal.

I DON'T EVEN HAVE DNS!!!!! I have local channels and besides not ALL of E* subscribers who watch DNS channels get them illegally. So why should those who get them legally have to pay? Don't get me wrong here, i do think that E* should have gotten SOME sort of punishment for this (fines mainly, serious investigations to see who gets their dns legally or not) but not taking them off for EVERYONE!!!

fredfa said:
But that last hurrah could come (unless EchoStar reaches an agreement) long after it has to shut down DNS service -- most likely in the next few weeks.

The presiding judge has consistently denied requests for an extension. So even if the Supreme Court appeal is filed by October 17, no decision would likely come for some months.

The longer Charlie waits, and the more the courts rule against him, the weaker his bargaining position and the more he will have to pay to settle. But that is where it now stands: if he reaches a settelement agreement, the DNS can stay on. Otherwise he must shut it off for everyone.
umm not quite the "last hurrah was supposed to be last week"...E* got an extension to sept 11th to work out a "deal"..the lack of squealing on e*"s part (lack of placards announcing the potential loss of distants) is starnge and unusual (Charlie never goes down without a fight) I suspect a "deal" has been worked out

Folks I DO NOT believe that there will be a DNS shutdown.

I think they will work out a deal and will continue to offer EAST and WEST coast Distant network feeds.

I don't agree with ya this time scott. I don't think that E* will be able to work out a deal now, Charlie took way too long, and now the Government and NAB are mad at him. just took too long for charlie to realize this one.

Also one thing I thought about this morning when i read this article, scott didn't you say something on a chat one time I believe that it was the last charlie chat recapping team summit, that YOU mentioned that Sv's are supposed to be on a Sept. release timewide nationwide? If that happens, then well DNS will be non-existant to even worry about, now right?

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
Folks I DO NOT believe that there will be a DNS shutdown.

I think they will work out a deal and will continue to offer EAST and WEST coast Distant network feeds.

Agree :yes

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)