Dish Network DVR / External HD

LuvFishin

Original poster
May 14, 2021
PA
Hi, I have Dish Network with a DVR. I purchased an external hard drive and have transferred movies to the external hard drive. My question is can I purchase another external hard drive and copy the contents from the first hard drive to the second hard drive? My fear is if something goes wrong with the first hard drive and I lose all its contents.

Thanks,
Marlene

Hi, I have Dish Network with a DVR. I purchased an external hard drive and have transferred movies to the external hard drive. My question is can I purchase another external hard drive and copy the contents from the first hard drive to the second hard drive? My fear is if something goes wrong with the first hard drive and I lose all its contents.

Thanks,
Marlene
No, you would have to transfer that movie back to the DVR and then transfer it to the new EHD. Only one EHD at a time. These things are set to that way to disallow pirating of movies. Of course the movies , and any other material you have recorded, are encrypted with DISH encryption so you couldn't use it on anything but a DISH receiver under your account anyway. But that's the way it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
No, you would have to transfer that movie back to the DVR and then transfer it to the new EHD. Only one EHD at a time. These things are set to that way to disallow pirating of movies. Of course the movies , and any other material you have recorded, are encrypted with DISH encryption so you couldn't use it on anything but a DISH receiver under your account anyway. But that's the way it is.
It is possible via Linux to copy encrypted programs from one EHD to another, without deleting them off the source. I do not regard the making of a safety backup copy as "pirating", since the encryption has not been defeated. If there is any doubt, you could use a hardware raid1 enclosure. Navychop has reported success with that.

By the way, why is this in the SG support center rather than the Dish forum?

It is possible via Linux to copy encrypted programs from one EHD to another, without deleting them off the source. I do not regard the making of a safety backup copy as "pirating", since the encryption has not been defeated. If there is any doubt, you could use a hardware raid1 enclosure. Navychop has reported success with that.

First post. New Member. You should be ashamed.:(

Yes, quite easy to do. If using Unbuntu, mount it and use the file manger to format the new drive in EXT3 format and then just drag and drop, without changing any folder names or positions. It's very picky about the exact structure.

I posted somewhere before on how I combined 3 old EHD's into 1 new 7TB EHD. As long a the folder and all it subfolder's for a program are copied in whole, it works just fine.

Reactions: TheKrell
If using Unbuntu, mount it and use the file manger to format the new drive in EXT3 format and then just drag and drop, without changing any folder names or positions. It's very picky about the exact structure.
Yeah, it is. That is why I let the Dish receiver do the formatting, and I merely copied folders via Linux.
I posted somewhere before on how I combined 3 old EHD's into 1 new 7TB EHD.
You found a 7TB disk?

Reactions: Foxbat and pattykay
Yup
Yeah, it is. That is why I let the Dish receiver do the formatting, and I merely copied folders via Linux.

You found a 7TB disk?

Yup, on Amazon on a third party seller. It's a 5600 rpm surveillance drive. They had a lot of them when I bought them, not sure if they still have them. You can always search on Amazon and EBay. You won't find 7G in consumer drives, but they do come in the 5600 rpm version for surveillance systems. The nice thing about USB is that it doesn't care about the rotational speed as USB is slower then even the slowest spinning platter drive.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)