Dish Network Funky Dioplexer Install

swm61230

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Hello all.....Long time reader first time poster.

My question is about a funky dioplexer install that dish has done at a friend of mines house.

Let me start off by describing the placements

811 office
510 Master bedroom
522 main room
522 tv2 Master bedroom with 510

Now here is the wiring that they have done.

DPQuad LNBF>>>>811
DPQuad LNBF>>>>522 tuner 1
DPQuad LNBF>>>>Dioplexer>>>>>Tuner 2
DPQuad LNBF>>>>Dioplexer>>>>>>510

Which all looks fine and I am sure is but here is what they did that is funky

522 tv2 out>>>>dioplexer>>>>>DPQuad LNBF>>>>>>510 in bedroom with Dioplexer

Now that can't be right. Can it?

I am only saying that because of the fact that he has a problem that he has to constantly reboot all of his recievers in order to restore his sat signal. It is almost on a daily basis. At first I thought it is a bad 522 unit and did research on the 522 and as nobody is posting anything negative about the current software release. But when he told me he has to do it with all of the recievers I started to think that the Dioplexer setup might be an issue.

The 522 is the worst offender out of all of them but I can't belive that sending the TV2output into the DPQuad LNBF is a good thing as you are basically feeding an ota signal into a switch.

If anybody has any comments on this it would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you.

David

Well, what he did was make the 510 box able to see two tuners from two different DVR's. One from the 510, the other is the TV2 from the 522 into the Antenna port.. or coax port if the 510 used component cables.

Pretty nifty actually. That one tv can now be benefited by the recordings of 3 tuners. Talk about eliminating timer conflicts. If he mirrors the 510 back to the 522 he'll have the same thing there.

bcshields said:
Well, what he did was make the 510 box able to see two tuners from two different DVR's. One from the 510, the other is the TV2 from the 522 into the Antenna port.. or coax port if the 510 used component cables.

Pretty nifty actually. That one tv can now be benefited by the recordings of 3 tuners. Talk about eliminating timer conflicts. If he mirrors the 510 back to the 522 he'll have the same thing there.

at dish are there diplexors there?

This is what it sounds like to me...

522 has 1 direct feed from the dish. the tuner 2 has a feed that has a diplexor on either end and the tv2 output is fed back on that same cable. at the dish there should be another cable going to the 510 with diplexors on either end. this would allow the diplexors non power pass ant side from the 522 to connect to the same port on the 510s feed line probably with a short cable.

if there are 4 diplexors total (2 at dish or somewhere in line from dish and 1 at 522 and 1 at 510 this is a nifty and innovative setup.

Originally Posted by ShadowEKU
if there are 4 diplexors total (2 at dish or somewhere in line from dish and 1 at 522 and 1 at 510 this is a nifty and innovative setup.

No there is only two dioplexers setup....One at the 522 and one at the 510.
and don't give credit to Dish installers for an innovative setup....They didn't think of how the tv's were going to be setup.

Originally Posted by bcshields

It was actually done for his kids so they didn't have to double up on the recordings and could watch anything in either room and have their two kids be able to watch a recorded show or live show but still be able to watch something different. It did take us some time to get it figured out and the installers could not understand why we were doing it.

But it is not as impressive as having a 510, 522 tv1 out, 522 tv2 out, all on the same cable system so you can watch anything anywhere. and trust me when I say that dish needs to come out with a centralized media server....

David

swm61230 said:
No there is only two dioplexers setup....One at the 522 and one at the 510.

then it shouldnt work at all. even a diplexed signal through the lnb switch shouldnt even work at all whatsoever technicly.

swm61230 said:
and don't give credit to Dish installers for an innovative setup

Man thats a pretty hash sentence. I know alot of installers on here that would easily think of something like that. And you are telling someone what to do about their thoughts.. geez its a discussion go easy.

swm61230 said:
But it is not as impressive as having a 510, 522 tv1 out, 522 tv2 out, all on the same cable system so you can watch anything anywhere.

Ive seen a system like this but it took some equipment cost to make happen.

swm61230 said:
and trust me when I say that dish needs to come out with a centralized media server....

Last I heard The 544 was still in the works as it would be for 4 tvs it would constitute whole house in the eyes of dish... but this could be vaporhardware

Now... I see why he has to constantly reboot... those diplexors are not set up correctly.

Here is what needs to be done.

basicly what I posted earlier.

2 more diplexors are needed.

Take the 522 tuner 2 input and tv2 output and diplex them back to the dish. use the same type of diplexor at the dish and feed the sat side into the lnbf.

now use a new diplexor on the 510 sat in and antenna in and on the other end of that feed at the dish install another diplexor with the sat side going to the lnbf and the ant side hooked to the other diplexors ant side. This should remedy the reboot problem.

As for whether you do it yorself or call an installer is that persons opinion, but as far as I know you CANNOT send a diplexed signal into the dish without causeing signal issues.

You might check to see the outside, Dish introduced separators so that x22 model recievers have 1 cable going down from the dish and from there is separated. Supposably those are only able to be used for the x22 recievers so theres one cable and the 510 sounds at least accurate.

don_riggins said:
You might check to see the outside, Dish introduced separators so that x22 model recievers have 1 cable going down from the dish and from there is separated. Supposably those are only able to be used for the x22 recievers so theres one cable and the 510 sounds at least accurate.

Don You are thinking Dish Pro Plus. he said there are no switches other than the lnb and the DPP LNBfs arnt available yet so its ruled out.

I have made up a diagram to get this working. By my estimate, 6 diplexors and one splitter are needed.

You can skip the splitter by going with component out to the tv and coax out to the 522.

Attachments

• 3 tuner setup.jpg
    3 tuner setup.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 222
bcshields said:
I have made up a diagram to get this working. By my estimate, 6 diplexors and one splitter are needed.

You can skip the splitter by going with component out to the tv and coax out to the 522.

good work BC. That looks like it would work just fine. but the way they have it set up now is that the 522 tv2 is the only feed that gets backfed through diplexors.

Sounds like 2 things happened. Someone had a great idea and someone bought dollar stroe diplexers. Look into getting the ones that don't cost $1 they usually don't have as many problems.

deezoneezo said:
Sounds like 2 things happened. Someone had a great idea and someone bought dollar stroe diplexers. Look into getting the ones that don't cost $1 they usually don't have as many problems.

The great Idea I agree with but after doing some reading on tech specs this morning (geek alert) I discovered that you cannot send a diplexed signal into the lnbf without bad consequences. Furtunately this situation could be remedyed 2 ways. 1 buy 2 more diplexors and go with my idea, 2 buy 4 more diplexors and a splitter and use BC's way. both should get it done but I think BC's is the best as it gives you an extra tuner.

deezoneezo said:
Maybe it would be a good idea to actually understand what's happening before throwing disparaging remarks. :rolleyes: Most $1 (wholesale) diplexers work just fine when properly installed.

Shadow nailed this problem at post #4. Shadow & BCShields have just been discussing nifty diplexer configurations since then.

ShadowEKU said:
at dish are there diplexors there?

This is what it sounds like to me...

522 has 1 direct feed from the dish. the tuner 2 has a feed that has a diplexor on either end and the tv2 output is fed back on that same cable. at the dish there should be another cable going to the 510 with diplexors on either end. this would allow the diplexors non power pass ant side from the 522 to connect to the same port on the 510s feed line probably with a short cable.

I do it all the time. It works great. Never had a problem yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts