Dish Network install question

djneph

Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hey Everyone,

I am looking to get rid of my cable service (Suddenlink). I am considering Dish, DirecTV, and Uverse. I have a unique wiring situation at home. I purchased a new home that had the my rooms pre-wired with coax. Each room has an indiviual cable running to it and they all meet in my master bedrooms closet in the OnQ enclsoure. Also I have on coax cable running from the enclosure to the outside of the house. Currently, suddenlink sends their signal over the single coax cable and inside the enclosure they installed splitters to distribute the signal to the other rooms.

From what I understand, DirecTV would require 4 cables running into the encloure from the satellite in order to use a multiswitch that can spread the signal to the rest of the house using my existing wiring. Also, I understand that they have recently released a single wire multiswitch that would solve my problem and can use the single coax cable coming into my enclosure to spread the signal.

So how does a dish network install work? Will I be able to get installed with my current wires? Also, is dish similar to DirecTv, do I only need one satellite to recieve all my channels. Any, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have basically what you mention. Dish ran 4 wires from the satellite dishes to the OnQ box, put the DPP44 in the OnQ box, and then used the 3 3Ghz rated wires to the receivers. I have DPP separators on each line.

My builder was reasonably smart and had a power outlet in the OnQ box as well.

If you need more details, I can take pix, or explain.

Depends oh how many tvs you want to hookup. Right now with the single wire into your home you can hookup 2 tvs. You would need 2 wires in for 4 tvs.

A DPP44 switch needs 3 or 4 wires usually from the dish to switch, and then each wire to each receiver is a single.

A dish 1000.2 can run 3 dual tuner boxes, each with just a single wire, so it would need 3 wires in.

All wires from dish to receiver must be RG6 cable as well.

Thats the problem I am having... Unfortunately, due to where my OnQ is located, it is impossible to run more wires to it without breaking some drywall (wife would flip).

Anyhope for my situation? I live in Leander, TX (suburb of Austin, TX). I have 2 HD and 1 SD tv.

You will have to either run more wires to your junction or you can run complete new wires from the dish to the location of each tv. Being you have 2 hd tvs you will need 2 HD receivers to get HD programming. That means a mimimum of 2 wires to the junction.

Thats the problem I am having... Unfortunately, due to where my OnQ is located, it is impossible to run more wires to it without breaking some drywall (wife would flip).

Anyhope for my situation? I live in Leander, TX (suburb of Austin, TX). I have 2 HD and 1 SD tv.

Hell, you are driving distance from me.

What dish did was run 4 wires through the space between my 1st and 2nd floor through the wall to the onq box.

They then used the existing wired jacks for the receivers.

I think there is hope if you can put up with the wall puncture to get the satellite signals to the box. and then put the switch in the box.

You'll need 2 dishes to get the Austin HD Locals since they are on 61.5, and everything else is on 110/119/129.

This is exactly what I have in Round Rock :)

Oh well, I guess this narrows my selection down to DirecTV and ATT Uverse. Im not sure whats worse, DTV 2 year contract and upfront equipment cost or ATT Uverse's single HD stream problem.

DOH!

Oh well, I guess this narrows my selection down to DirecTV and ATT Uverse. Im not sure whats worse, DTV 2 year contract and upfront equipment cost or ATT Uverse's single HD stream problem.

DOH!

How is DirecTV going to get to the box? I suspect it's the same as what dish will do to get there. As a matter of fact, I don't think DirecTV has the techology to do 1 wire per receiver (which dish can do with the DPP Separators).

How is DirecTV going to get to the box? I suspect it's the same as what dish will do to get there. As a matter of fact, I don't think DirecTV has the techology to do 1 wire per receiver (which dish can do with the DPP Separators).

They do have a solution, just VERY hard to get unless you're upgrading a MDU, it's called the SWM, single wire module, DIRECTV Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) for 5LNB Dish. There's a person over at DBStalk that can get them for $300. D*'s also going to be coming out with a new slimline dish which has this SWM built in so only one wire from the dish and then you use splitters to feed up to 8 tuners.The SWM8 also has an OTA input to allow for diplexing on the same wire.

Actually they have released a new thing called a Single wire Multiswitch. They run 4 cables from the dish to the SWM (witch they can place outisde my house) and then from there use the one wire to my OnQ and use some special spliters to spread signal to each room. The single wire will even allow dual tuner recievers.

Further, they have developed a new dish with the SWM built in, which would be even better because then they would just use the one wire I have straight to the dish and use the splitters inside the OnQ. Both options are new and not available to everyone yet.

Oh man.... Im not sure the wife would be happy with two dishes on the house....I had enough time convincing her one looks nice...

If only Suddenlink wasnt so horrible and over priced... I pay $85 for basic/expanded basic (about 70 SD channels), 14 HD channels (inclduing locals), and one HDDVR.

Welcome fellow Leander-thal!

That was a big deal to me also when we built a house here in Leander. Depending on the installer, it can be done. The OnQ systems are wonderful but they can be a PITA for satellite. Which subdivision are you in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)