Dish Network Installer Job

waldreps

Original poster
May 25, 2011
MN
I know this has been asked a million times, and I have searched a lot of posts. I'm going to ask again though. I would like to hear from Dish Network installers about how things work with them as far as pay, quotas, hours worked, etc. I don't really want to know from an independent contractor or DirecTV point of view. I'm out of work right now and really need a job. Dish Network is hiring. They say it's $17/hour, they supply truck, tools, everything. Is that how it really works with them. Please, any Dish Network installers please let me hear from you.

Thanks,
Stacy

Yep, that's how it works.

If you have no job, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck. The hiring process is a long one.

Thanks for the response. Are you a Dish Network installer or were you? Do they have quotas of how many systems you have to install? Does that affect your pay or will you just get fired if you aren't meeting their goals? Please share any details you can.

There is an installer forum on the site, probably better to redirect your question to there.

I looked again and the only installer forum that I see is the one that is locked and made for people who are already installers. I can't get into it since I'm not an installer. Is that the one you are referring to or am I still missing something?

No, you are correct, I believe.
Apply and try to get in. Again, you have nothing to lose. You are unemployed.

In my experience, 50% of the applicants make it past the year mark. This job isnt for everyone, can be demanding, but also be a lot of fun.
I enjoy it.

You can pm me..With any ???'s.. I am a fss2 for dish network.. I have worked for a sub then dish.. When you work for a sub.. It is all about getting has many has you can done.. They care very little about quality of work.. When you work for Dish.. It is more about quality. You work 4 10 hour days and Generaly get between 3 and 4 jobs a day.. When I worked for a sub it was 8 hour days and 8 to 10 jobs a day.. Dish cares more about the install and previous installs being up to DNS standards.. Our rate of pay is a little higher here in calif. I have worked for them for almost 2 years.. Still like it because I like 99% of the people I take care of..

How can you do an 8 hr day, and do 8 to 10 jobs in that time? The guy that installed my system was here for at least 3 hours. He didn't leave until 8:30 P.M., and still had a service call to do up the road! I also had a service call with another contracted installer, and by the time he checked out the box, and realigned the dish, and installed a new box, that was over an hour. Now add in travel time, and it would seem hard to get to 5 jobs in an 8 hr day, let alone 8-10.

If you don't give a crap about the install and all of your jobs are close together 8-10 is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Working for Dish Network directly isn't that bad of a deal. You get paid an hourly wage. Working as a contractor is a different story as you have to supply your own truck, ladder, tools and supplies in most cases. You're also paid by the job, which leads to shoddy work because you need to get to the next customer.

It can depend who you work for. Some retailers pay well. We've always gone by the rule that if you pay your installers well you will get good work done in return. I believe we pay our installers more than any other retailers in our area. We pay by the job. So much for a new install and more for additional rooms.

Each job is worth points or units. Depending on your level you are routed with diff amount of points per day. 2 - 5 jobs. If you finish early or drop a job you will pick up another job. You are scheduled for 10 hour days but expect at least 12 hrs if not more. You are expected to meet goals which are obtainable but you have to get lucky sometimes. Each shop is diff about performance based corrective measures. My shop works with guys and if after time you can't meet the goals you get the boot. If you meet the goals you get a bonus come pay day. You can move up levels pretty quick. 3 months at the quickest and each level ( 1- 4 ) you get a 10% pay raise. Anything else pm me

If you don't give a crap about the install and all of your jobs are close together 8-10 is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Exactly.. That is why I hated working for the sub.. I take a lot of pride in my work... But you can't when you have that much work.. I know not all sub contractors are bad.. Most are probably pretty good.. The one I worked for was none for not giving a damn about there employees.. Only the money..

Each job is worth points or units. Depending on your level you are routed with diff amount of points per day. 2 - 5 jobs. If you finish early or drop a job you will pick up another job. You are scheduled for 10 hour days but expect at least 12 hrs if not more. You are expected to meet goals which are obtainable but you have to get lucky sometimes. Each shop is diff about performance based corrective measures. My shop works with guys and if after time you can't meet the goals you get the boot. If you meet the goals you get a bonus come pay day. You can move up levels pretty quick. 3 months at the quickest and each level ( 1- 4 ) you get a 10% pay raise. Anything else pm me

The "system" today is set up to be almost impossible to be promoted within Dish. 2 years ago when I was hired in, people would go from 1-4 in no time flat. They would make level 4 before their pay for 3 even kicked in. Today, the "standards" are so far out of line for anyone new...and the new training program they have...forget it.

Again, apply. You have nothing to lose. Actually, I'd probably try to pass the first exam before digging to far into the job...lol.

The "system" today is set up to be almost impossible to be promoted within Dish. 2 years ago when I was hired in, people would go from 1-4 in no time flat. They would make level 4 before their pay for 3 even kicked in. Today, the "standards" are so far out of line for anyone new...and the new training program they have...forget it.

Again, apply. You have nothing to lose. Actually, I'd probably try to pass the first exam before digging to far into the job...lol.

Are you referring to the screening questionnaire and the assessment that you have to do during the application process? Are they that difficult? I've installed my own dish several times and carried one with me that I set up all the time in my RV. I know that doesn't make me experienced by any means. Anything I should know about or study before I take those?

Ive been working for dish for almost 7 years. I like it. I love the work and meeting new people every day and not being stuck in one place.

It's got its goods and its bads.
You have to have a pretty good head on your shoulders to deal with some of the "dish madness" . You can never do enough. Get four or five jobs done and your asked what took so long. Or why you couldn't get all your jobs connected to ip even if the cust doesn't have internet yet.

I take a lot of pride in my work and love being able to hook a cust up with a badass solid install.

It's fun meeting those cool customers that appreciate your work. The ones that give u a coffee early in the morning. soda or water when you are busting your ass in a hot attic.

Apply and give it a shot. You may like it or you may hate it.

satelitegangster said:
Ive been working for dish for almost 7 years. I like it. I love the work and meeting new people every day and not being stuck in one place.

It's got its goods and its bads.
You have to have a pretty good head on your shoulders to deal with some of the "dish madness" . You can never do enough. Get four or five jobs done and your asked what took so long. Or why you couldn't get all your jobs connected to ip even if the cust doesn't have internet yet.

I take a lot of pride in my work and love being able to hook a cust up with a badass solid install.

It's fun meeting those cool customers that appreciate your work. The ones that give u a coffee early in the morning. soda or water when you are busting your ass in a hot attic.

Apply and give it a shot. You may like it or you may hate it.

Back to reality...

Sent from my fingers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)