Dish Network is offering a "free" iPad if you sign up for satellite service. Avoid this, it's a scam

keener101

Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Idaho
Here's a copy of the important sections of my chat log.

Turns out you pay more than the price of the iPad in extra fees to get it than its retail price.

ipadscam1.jpg
Neq4mnc.png
64vBoJf.jpg
PTWRhdm.jpg

Well not really a scam but staying with the promo deal for whatever amount for the first year off of the bill is the better way to go and then just take those savings and get the better Ipad3.

This is nothing more than Dish and Apple getting in together to help make a deal look sweet and get rid of over stocked older ipads for apple with of course a cut.

Certainly nothing illegal about that!The csr was very forthcoming about the difference in the prices.You have 2 options,free ipad with no promotions,or no ipad get the promotions.

Also nothing new. Promotion has been going on at least a couple of months.

I disagree. There is something VERY wrong when something is advertised as "Free" when it really isn't.
If the customer has to pay anything above what other customers who decline the offer, those accepting the offer are paying MORE.

Nothing in this world is free.

Everything now has disclaimers.

With that said I think getting the discount is better then the free iPad myself.

I disagree. There is something VERY wrong when something is advertised as "Free" when it really isn't.
If the customer has to pay anything above what other customers who decline the offer, those accepting the offer are paying MORE.

It's called subsidization.

It's called subsidization.

It's called "Marketing 101". Average people never look beyond the word "FREE".

Welcome OP to finally waking up to the pyramid scam of the American economy. It works GREAT as long as you keep shoveling more people into it from the bottom. That is at least, until you finally just run out of people.

The discounts are better in the long-run. Some people are impatient not wanting to wait. For those, they can get a bigger lump sum which is the IPad.

Lump sum awards are always lower than long term payouts. Nothing to see here.

What ought to be illegal is offering better rates to new customers than existing ones.

Here's a copy of the important sections of my chat log.

Turns out you pay more than the price of the iPad in extra fees to get it than its retail price.

View attachment 92151
View attachment 92152
View attachment 92153
View attachment 92154

You really should have come to this site first and read about the promotion fist. You would have been fully educated on the promotion and not surprised by anything then. You also could have signed up through one of the DIRT members here.

Basically the promotion is: You can either get the monthly discounted price for programming for the first year, savings depend on the package you have. If you decide to take the iPad then you decline getting the monthly discounted price for programming. It's a trade off.

If you went with the AT120 you get $20 off per month for the first year which totals $240.
If you went with the AT200 you get $25 off per month for the first year which totals $300.
If you went with the AT250 you get $30 off per month for the first year which totals $360.

I believe Dish is valuing the iPad at $300 retail. Interpret the promotion how ever you want but it is not a scam and some people actually consider it a good deal. It all depends on your thinking, do you want more savings over a period of time or do you want a product right now. Some people want things right now! this is a pretty standard marketing technique and a pretty good one at that.