dish network is really beginning to suck!!! (Issue Resolved)

How is this resolved (title edit reference). It seems the criteria by which they suck has not changed.

I'm still confused as to what the real problem is. Sounds like he just doesn't want to pay upfront fees even though he does not want to sign a contract. I don't know how he thinks this is fair to the many people who do sign contracts to avoid the activation fee.

How is this resolved (title edit reference). It seems the criteria by which they suck has not changed.
It was resolved for the OP'er. They allegedly got things settled, and they would allegedly need to pay an alleged $200 activation fee after their alleged parents bought them a hopper and joey and allegedly had them also pay for installation. During which, the alleged installer allegedly didn't call Dish Network to activate the service, but upon allegedly returning the equipment for a refund, the installer allegedly noted to the OP'er that he (the installer) should have contacted Dish after getting the install completed. The poster is now allegedly heading back to Directv of which he allegedly already has two accounts, one for their alleged first home and one for their alleged summer home.

No, more like 40% average off packages that are 22% average more than Dish
Doesn't really matter though that the standard prices for D* are higher than E*. A few weeks ago I was curious and priced out Choice Extra w/HD Extra package and compared it to what I currently have (AT200 w/BB@Home). I would be saving $20 per month the 1st year and paying $4 per month more the 2nd year. But since Dish will be increasing prices in Feb 2013, I would be saving more the 1st year and probably be the same price the 2nd year. So for those two years D* would be cheaper for me than two years of E*, no matter what the "real prices" are.

Doesn't really matter though that the standard prices for D* are higher than E*. A few weeks ago I was curious and priced out Choice Extra w/HD Extra package and compared it to what I currently have (AT200 w/BB@Home). I would be saving $20 per month the 1st year and paying $4 per month more the 2nd year. But since Dish will be increasing prices in Feb 2013, I would be saving more the 1st year and probably be the same price the 2nd year. So for those two years D* would be cheaper for me than two years of E*, no matter what the "real prices" are.
What, so D* won't raise their rates in Feb while E* will? That's what I get from your post. Just because you would have 2 years of locked in discounts doesn't mean your D* rates will stay the same for those 2 years. Same goes for someone coming from D* to get E* discounts.

It was resolved for the OP'er. They allegedly got things settled, and they would allegedly need to pay an alleged $200 activation fee after their alleged parents bought them a hopper and joey and allegedly had them also pay for installation. During which, the alleged installer allegedly didn't call Dish Network to activate the service, but upon allegedly returning the equipment for a refund, the installer allegedly noted to the OP'er that he (the installer) should have contacted Dish after getting the install completed. The poster is now allegedly heading back to Directv of which he allegedly already has two accounts, one for their alleged first home and one for their alleged summer home.

Shouldn't the title be edited to "Issue Allegedly Resolved". :D

You have fallen for an old marketing trick. Charge more than the competitor, then give a "big" discount. When you sign for two years you may pay less than staying with Dish, and of course the same holds true leaving Direct and getting new customer discounts with Dish. But the amount saved imagined by seeing the 50% discount for the first year is inflated. We broke down an offer by Comcast a couple of years ago and found you actually saved in the neighborhood of $50, when it sounded like so much more.
Just like buying anything, look at the bottom line, the final cost to you. It's the only thing that really matters if cost is the main concern. (I would think programming and equipment also come into play, but this is about cost) I don't know about you specifically, I have had discounts or free programming I actually wanted from Dish as a longtime customer, by asking. (As the poster above very correctly noted about just asking) With the AMC departure many qualified for a discount. If you are going to compare the cost of Direct TV to Dish by using short term discounts, then you have to include what Dish might offer as a discount for an ongoing customer. With Dish being lower in cost to begin with, even a modest discount makes what you would save by switching shrink enough to be sure you really are saving anywhere near what you think. In some cases maybe you are. In some cases, not so much.
Another thing many choose to ignore is upfront costs. If I were to maintain an apples to apples equipment configuration, I would be out approximately $225 up front for a second HD DVR, two AM-21 OTA tuners and an RF remote (used for second HD TV on one receiver). That would knock down my first year savings to about $8.00 per...and be stuck with slower receivers, screwy EHD setup and no Sirrius. No Thanks. These are the kind of thinks one really needs to look at.

Will Direct TV be raising prices? Is your contract price specific, or it's discount specific. These are all the things to take into account before thinking you are getting a windfall by switching. And the savings you found? $192 assuming your figures are correct, and now under contract for two years.
The fact that as new customer in the second year you are already paying more than Dish should be a concern.

Stay with Dish, get just a $5 discount for 12 months or $10 for Six months (could be more depends on customer rating, and if you are missing channels such as AMC, or an RSN etc..) and your savings are down to $132 or less, with no contract. And I'm betting an inventive person really looking to save can stay with Dish and pay even a little less over the two years, and/or get desired premiums etc.... without dropping to a smaller package.
So yes, most anytime you sign up as new customer you will save money. It's how much that is tricky.

Another thing many choose to ignore is upfront costs. If I were to maintain an apples to apples equipment configuration, I would be out approximately $225 up front for a second HD DVR, two AM-21 OTA tuners and an RF remote (used for second HD TV on one receiver). That would knock down my first year savings to about $8.00 per...and be stuck with slower receivers, screwy EHD setup and no Sirrius. No Thanks. These are the kind of thinks one really needs to look at.

Points I had not even considered.

First off, I didn't say that I would be leaving Dish. It has the programming I want at pretty good prices. But I was replying to KAB's points about D* having discounts on already higher prices and pointed out that over two years you would be saving money over standard Dish rates. Sure you can get creative and hope a csr will play along with you. But the easiest way to save money is to play the churn game. It's a stupid game, but the pay-tv providers are the people who created it and it's pretty simple to play along.

First off, I didn't say that I would be leaving Dish. It has the programming I want at pretty good prices. But I was replying to KAB's points about D* having discounts on already higher prices and pointed out that over two years you would be saving money over standard Dish rates. Sure you can get creative and hope a csr will play along with you. But the easiest way to save money is to play the churn game. It's a stupid game, but the pay-tv providers are the people who created it and it's pretty simple to play along.

Not if you have a few EHDs filled with programming.

Be all this as it may (Hoax, misunderstanding, OP should have done his research, whatever excuse you guys want to use), there is still a bottom line issue here. If someone outright buys all his equipment and installs it himself, is Dish Network really charging a $200 activation fee just to send an activation signal (non-inclusive of programming)? If so, is that really reasonable? Does it even remotely reflect the costs incurred of entering in account information and having a signal sent?

Technically, I think it is the stockholders and Wall Street that created it, with such a reckless emphasis on "new customers" over existing customers that are paying more money than the new customers!

Be all this as it may (Hoax, misunderstanding, OP should have done his research, whatever excuse you guys want to use), there is still a bottom line issue here. If someone outright buys all his equipment and installs it himself, is Dish Network really charging a $200 activation fee just to send an activation signal (non-inclusive of programming)? If so, is that really reasonable? Does it even remotely reflect the costs incurred of entering in account information and having a signal sent?

I honestly don't know why he would have to pay $200. I could see a $99 activation fee and that's all that makes sense to me. Really no reason to charge any more since his equipment is paid for. Now if he had it installed then I could see having to pay more.

I do agree. I would think not getting any discounts for service by not signing a two year contract would be the penalty. IF Dish does charge $200 if you do everything including instillation, buy your equipment etc.. that sounds excessive. I don't know what Direct TV does, not that it makes it anymore right....

But the easiest way to save money is to play the churn game. It's a stupid game, but the pay-tv providers are the people who created it and it's pretty simple to play along.

Very true the carriers have set it up this way. I think it depends what you consider easier. I don't want to stay home every two years hoping an installer will show up, lose my recordings etc...... A couple of phone calls or even more just seems easier. I posted in another thread about changing every two years or so that I can see for some how it does save some money, and if you don't stay with a service, you get to see how they all are or at least the affordable ones. I do question just how much you save and how much time and energy goes into it, and being in a two year contract all the time.

Can you believe any of the costs from this poster? He is so erratic in figures he is throwing out and labor he incurred I would prefer this was closed and in a couple weeks it will be another piece of history.

Can you believe any of the costs from this poster? He is so erratic in figures he is throwing out and labor he incurred I would prefer this was closed and in a couple weeks it will be another piece of history.

Let the cats play with it more. It's not even cold yet! :D

Agreed!!!

Sling adapter issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)