Dish Network lack of ABC and NBC HD programming

buckspaul

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
you would think that dish network would try expand its network HD progamming via NBC and ABC etc. along with add new HD channels for extra $ whats the holding up one major network feed CBS if you are luckly enough to get a waiver. they should offer should at least offer the optional OTA attenna!

They are halfway through the 180 day sale process. Once that is finalized (by Labor Day) you should start to see things start to happen. I'm looking forward to a few more positive surprises coming our way before the Christmas season......

buskspaul,

You need to understand the "nature of the beast".
Go down to your local ABC and NBC broadcast stations and ask them if you can receive a network feed that doesn't show their local commercuals.

fred

personally, I hope they don't waste the bandwidth on Network HD as most people will not be allowed to get it. IF they do it, I hope they keep it on a wing.

buckspaul said:
thats just one of the reasons im switching to BEV all the network feeds in hd. west coast east coast canadian programming etc.

BEV is great but I wished they had the HD DVR! Starchoice is another option since they also have shows from the US Networks plus they now also have the HD DVR! :D

If you have cable internet, you can just subscribe to their limited basic for $12.10 and HD for $5, then you get $10 off your bill for subscribing to cable and internet. So you get all your locals for only $7.10. Its a great deal, but you only get local HD channels no ESPN,INHD, or DHD. This is with Comcast

sloud74 said:
If you have cable internet, you can just subscribe to their limited basic for $12.10 and HD for $5, then you get $10 off your bill for subscribing to cable and internet. So you get all your locals for only $7.10. Its a great deal, but you only get local HD channels no ESPN,INHD, or DHD. This is with Comcast
How much rent do they charge for their HD box? (for those of us that dont have a new tv with a built in digital cable tuner/with smart card slot)

It is $5 for the HD box, sorry. So it would be $12.10 for locals. I live in Portland, OR and have the lowest digital package with HD. Before I bought it I called Comcast many times to see if I could get HD with just basic cable (which is what I had at the time) and they said you would only get your locals with basic cable, you need to go digital to get espn-hd and the other channels.

So I have never ordered JUST the local HD package but I am pretty sure that it would work. And I think it is worth it for $12.10.

SatinKzo said:
personally, I hope they don't waste the bandwidth on Network HD as most people will not be allowed to get it. IF they do it, I hope they keep it on a wing.
Well, actually, "most" might not be the case considering the number of O&O stations out there, but your point is well-taken.

I'd be happy if they carried them on the wings (I have both :) ).

I can understand the want for NBC HD because NBC has plenty of O&O's esp. in areas that have mountains like San Diego, San Francisco, and Los Angeles or an area with many buildings and problems with the transmitters like New York or Chicago.

However, ABC has so few O&O's in such terrible markets that it would be a waste carrying them on DISH when you could have other channels first.

CBS O&O Stations
KEYE-TV Austin, TX
WJZ-TV Baltimore, MD
WBZ-TV Boston, MA
WBBM-TV Chicago, IL
KTVT-TV Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
KCNC-TV Denver, CO
WWJ-TV Detroit, MI
WFRV-TV Green Bay, WI
WCBS-TV New York, NY
WFOR-TV Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
WCCO-TV Minneapolis, MN
KYW-TV Philadelphia, PA
KDKA-TV Pittsburgh, PA
KUTV-TV Salt Lake City, UT
KPIX-TV San Francisco, CA
KCBS-TV Los Angeles, CA

NBC O&O Stations
WNBC (NBC4 New York)
KNBC (NBC4 Los Angeles)
WMAQ (NBC5 Chicago)
WCAU (NBC10 Philadelphia)
KNTV (NBC3 San Jose/San Fran.)
KXAS (NBC5 Dallas/Fort Worth)
WRC (NBC4 Washington)
WTVJ (NBC6 Miami)
KNSD (NBC7/39 San Diego)
WVIT (NBC30 Hartford)
WNCN (NBC17 Raleigh)
WCMH (NBC4 Columbus)
WVTM (NBC13 Birmingham)
WJAR (NBC10 Providence)

ABC O&O Stations
WABC-TV New York
KABC-TV Los Angeles
WLS-TV Chicago
WPVI-TV Philadelphia
KGO-TV San Francisco
KTRK-TV Houston
WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham
KFSN-TV Fresno
WJRT-TV Flint
WTVG-TV Toledo

Sorry - I don't totally buy the logic on ABC. Yeah, it's fewer DMAs - but they have all four of the top four, plus #6 & 11. So add that to the many customers that will end up in the digital white area (like me), and it's still a good move.

What does the new legislation say about the HD feeds? I remember the big push by dish to get that ability to broadcast distant HD to people who can't get it OTA. If this would be allowed, then I would support it as it affects many people and I am sure people who get locals now would drop the locals to get the HD feeds over sat.

SatinKzo said:
What does the new legislation say about the HD feeds? I remember the big push by dish to get that ability to broadcast distant HD to people who can't get it OTA. If this would be allowed, then I would support it as it affects many people and I am sure people who get locals now would drop the locals to get the HD feeds over sat.

Dish basically reneged. They said a lot and even duped some of us into a "grassroots" promotion for the legislation (see mine and other's posts from last summer & fall).

The "I want my HDTV" website was gone shortly after the bill passed and the DTC site has not posted anything since November. Many of us were snookered.

My theory (yea, I know I know:sleeo ):

I think behind the scenes, DTV was courting the NAB and agreed to restrict their HD DNS to a very small number - no matter how the final bill read. Dish knew this and figured why waste money and bandwidth to compete against something that really wasn't affecting many customers anyway - the heck with what they promised Congress and subs.

Instead they directed their resorces toward the Voom deal. I'd almost venture to speculate that although the Dish DTV merger was nixed, it may have become more of a reality than any of us realize.

BUT...... I also think it was a temporary alliance - a sort of truce - possibly designed to let all the biggies of the digital world prepare for the bigger battles ahead.

HD has really been a "nitch" market until now but the money that it will generate over the next few years wil be staggering.

and that's all I have to say about that.

Sorry, you're wrong. Dish didn't renege on anything. While the new legislation allows HD distant networks in so-called "white areas," the actual rules for how this will work haven't been determined yet.

But that was part of the deal if I remember correctly (I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that if you wanted the HD DNS, you had to drop your locals right? And for people like Simon, I'm sure that would not even be a second guess on what to choose. I know what I would choose if I could.

On a similar note, did they ever really define what the digital white area's are? I am in a grade B for analog and get a good OTA signal, but cannot get a Digital OTA on CBS in my area, when I call and ask they say I am still in grade b and won't grant the waiver eventhough they acknowledge they are not broadcasting at enough power to reach me digitally. Granted this may/will change when the deadline comes for the top 100 markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)