Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just some notes of interest to you the consumer from yesterdays Dish Network Facts Blast which was sent to retailers. It only contains items of interest to the consumer and contains no sensitive dealer information.

DISH 411 and ViP 211 launch – State-of-the-art HD technology receivers were announced on the November 10 Retailer Chat.
· Features are “Future Proof”

o Capable of receiving MPEG2 and MPEG4 content.

o Ethernet port (ViP211 only) for future enhancements.

o Software is upgradeable via satellite.

· Benefits

o Perfect for a one-TV solution desiring HD programming (1 TV & 1 tuner).

o Supports both High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition (SD).

o Get local broadcasts in HD – has a digital off-air tuner.

o Instant access to DISH Home Interactive TV – includes breaking news, sports, weather, games, and customer service with the push of a button.

o Easily view current and future TV program listings up to 2 days in advance.

o Find out who’s calling through the TV with On-Screen caller ID.

o User interface is like DISH 942.

· Timing, Inventory & Economics

o As of 12/15/05, DISH 811s will no longer be available to sell; for the next 3 weeks, please sell through any existing 811 product inventory in HD applications before ordering model 411’s.

o The 411 and ViP 211 will be sold as the replacement to the 811.

o On 11/21/05 when the 411 and ViP 211 receivers are ordered, initially you will receive either 411 as our inventory allows.

o There is no difference between the 411 and the ViP211, except that the 411 does NOT have an Ethernet port and the ViP211 does. Both receivers are installed in the same manner.

Programming

New Channel Launched on DISH Network

· FOX Reality TV – A leading resource of all your favorite reality TV shows, FOX Reality TV will launch on DISH Network on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 and will be available on channel 190. It will be added to AT180 or above at no extra charge.

Sports

· Pakistan Cricket – DISH Network has exclusive rights in the U.S. to broadcast all Pakistani cricket home games for the remainder of 2005 through 2008. Games will be shown live on channels 457/471.To order, call 1-877-DISH-PPV (347-4778) or visit www.dishnetwork.com/cricket.

o For $99.95 – All three “test matches” and five “one-day internationals” are available.

o For $79.95 – A “one-day international” package is available.

· ESPN Full Court – The ultimate college basketball package, it delivers up to 30 games a week! To order, call 1-877-DISH-PPV (347-4778) or visit www.dishnetwork.com/basketball.

o Early Bird Package – Order by November 18, 2005, and receive $20 off the regular season package price; cost for the Early Bird Package is $99 or 2 payments of $49.50.

· NBA League Pass – The maximum professional basketball coverage with over 1,000 regular season games not available in your local area. To order, call 1-877-DISH-PPV (347-4778) or visit www.dishnetwork.com/basketball.

o Regular season package price is $189 or 3 payments of $63.

· NHL Center Ice – Tremendous hockey action package, order NHL Center Ice by calling 1-877-DISH-PPV (347-4778) or visit www.dishnetwork.com/hockey.

o Regular season package price is $159 or 3 payments of $53.

Sports Package Program Change

· FOX Sports West 2 – This programming is moving from the 119° orbital location (spot beam) to the110° orbital location (full CONUS). FOX Sports West 2 offers pro coverage of the L.A. Clippers from the NBA, the L.A. Dodgers from the MLB, and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks from the NHL.

o This programming will continue to be available to qualifying customers with AT60 or above in the FOX Sports West 2 territory for no additional charge.

o Nevada customers with zip codes beginning with 889–892 will now also have access to FOX Sports West 2.

o It will also be available for customers outside of the FOX Sports West 2 territory, but who subscribe to the Multi Sport Package for $5.99/month.

Holiday Music – Here’s a reminder that great holiday music is provided free in DISH Network’s AT120 or above. It will be available from November 16, 2005, through the holidays , located on channel 982.

International Programming

· Korean Programming

o WOW-TV – As of October 27, 2005, WOW TV replaced MBN Korean-language channel in both the Korean Variety Pack and Korean Basic Pack. MBN had been located on channel 651 (at 61.5° & 148° orbital locations), and on channel 703 (at 121° orbital location).

- WOW-TV – Launched on DISH Network on October 27, 2005, WOW-TV is 24-hour Korean-language business news channel broadcast from Korea, covering economic updates, stock markets, real estate, e-business, etc. WOW-TV is located on channel 655 (at 61.5° & 148° orbital locations), and on channel 661 (at 121° orbital location).

o $10 Korean Credit – Due to the recent changes that have been made to the Korean programming packages, DISH Network will be applying another one-time $10 credit to each eligible existing Korean Variety Pack or Korean Basic Pack subscriber’s bill, to be posted this week. This is in addition to the $10 credit they were provided in October 2005 – for a total of $20!

o Re-Cap of DISH Network’s current Korean entertainment packages:

- Korean Variety Pack – KBS World, JSTV, WOW-TV, Arirang TV. Price is $36.99/month or $406.89/year.

- Korean Basic Pack – KBS World, JSTV, WOW-TV. Price is $29.99/month or $329.89/year.

· Hindi Language Programming

o B4U Music launched on DISH Network – On October 27, 2005, DISH Network launched B4U Music, which is a hip and funky 24-hour global music channel that includes the latest Bollywood movies and music charts, non-stop dance floor hits from both the U.S. and Europe’s South Asian music scene, and interactive request shows. B4U Music is located on channel 618 (at 61.5° & 148° orbital locations), and on channel 808 (at 121° orbital location).

- B4U Music will be added at no additional charge to these packages: Mega Pack, Jumbo Pack, #1, #2, #3 & B4U a la carte.

- Price for B4U Music a la carte is $2.99/month or $32.89/year.

- Customers must subscribe to AT60 or above, DISH Latino or above, Great Wall TV Package or any South Asian, Urdu, Russian, or Arabic Channel or package in order to subscribe to the B4U Music a la carte.

Please note that customers who do not subscribe to a minimum of AT60, DISH Latino or Great Wall TV Package programming will be charged a $5 per month Service Access fee.

BFG said:
Wow no more 811s as of 12/15/05, hooray, finally we can kill that beast :)

Ah, but with the 811 you know what you're getting, with the 411/211 you have another new bo:mad:s) from E* and who knows what issues that bo:mad:s) will have. It's the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know.

Morning,

The question is, will they allow us to trade in our 811's for the vip211 or 411 :confused: Or maybe some sort of deal to lease a 962 when they finally come out.

Hold on to your 811 for now, when they are ready to rollout MPEG4 programming there will be upgrade offers available for existing customers.

At this point in time they just want to get the units in new customers houses so they dont need to upgrade them again 6 months down the line.

And you might want to let someone else go out on the bleeding edge of technology for you. I've reached a comfort level with my 811. I don't need another roller coaster ride.

rdinkel said:
Scott, are you saying you expect the switch to MPEG4 to be within the next six months or so? From the Tech Chat, I got the impression it would be a year or two. :confused:

It could be 6 months it could be 2 years, no one knows, but at least new customers will have equipment which can support MPEG4 for when they actually use it.

This is very smart on Dish Networks part.

OK the question I have is which one to go with the 411 or 211?? It seems they are both them same but the one has the ethernet port. I guess if you dont need the port 411 be the way to go. Scott let us know when you get one of them in your hands to test.

Poke said:
OK the question I have is which one to go with the 411 or 211?? It seems they are both them same but the one has the ethernet port. I guess if you dont need the port 411 be the way to go. Scott let us know when you get one of them in your hands to test.

I have already played with a 411 and I am hoping to get my hands on one soon and plan on taking some photos and doing a review. :)

From the sounds of thing the 411 will have a very short life and will be replaced by the ViP211. I would hold off for the 211 since it looks like they have something in mind by having an ethernet connection on the box.

So these older cheaper recievers could become a little bit more valuable after all if you get a new receiver exchanged for it.

That was the same Facts Blasts that I got in which I posted a little info on last night in another thread but its better posted in a new thread where more people can see it.

I wonder if they are going to close out the 811's or if they figure on depleting the stock of them rather quickly. I know they have discounted other receivers in the past particularly the DVR's (and some HD receivers) when they plan on coming out with a new one.

dfergie said:
Hopefully doing away with the phone connection for one...
Yes, That would be really good for the account stakers as it's easy to make different locations look like they are coming from the same IP.

Yeah they could use it for net access! Basically for folks that have high speed net access just bill through the net. Also would be cool if they would let you do your software updates down on the net.

Well there are many ways to prevent IP issues and can be easy traced so that would not be a issue. Plus stiffer penaltys if folks try something like that you really dont want to mess with the FCC!

I have a couple of questions about the 211/411 receivers that perhaps someone with inside Dish contacts could answer. First, do these receivers have an analog OTA tuner like the 811? Will they provide guide information for digital OTA channels like the 811 without subscribing to your local SD channels via satellite? Are all outputs active like the 811? Thanks in advance for any and all answers to these questions.

n0qcu said:
Yes, That would be really good for the account stakers as it's easy to make different locations look like they are coming from the same IP.
If they have their act together and did it right (whole house connectivity to all the receivers)it would put an end to the audit goon squad... there are Very many Cell phone only users now days...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)