Dish Network MPEG4 & Programming Updates

rocatman said:
I have a couple of questions about the 211/411 receivers that perhaps someone with inside Dish contacts could answer. First, do these receivers have an analog OTA tuner like the 811? Will they provide guide information for digital OTA channels like the 811 without subscribing to your local SD channels via satellite? Are all outputs active like the 811? Thanks in advance for any and all answers to these questions.

Answer to question 1 is there is no analog off air tuner on the 411/211
#2 is unknown at this point.

Maybe Dish has learned there lesson on releasing receivers that aren't up to specs, so to say. Even though I've read all these horror stories on the 811's I've never really had a problem with mine after years of abuse.

rdinkel - I guess we could say MPEG-4 has started now, or will as soon as the full Voom 21 are made available to customers. They are uplinking them now in MPEG-4 testing, aren't they?

navychop said:
rdinkel - I guess we could say MPEG-4 has started now, or will as soon as the full Voom 21 are made available to customers. They are uplinking them now in MPEG-4 testing, aren't they?
I thought JohnH said QPSK, MPEG-2. Check here.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Answer to question 1 is there is no analog off air tuner on the 411/211
#2 is unknown at this point.

I thought the Retailer Chat said that OTA program guide will be provided. I don't know the exact wording but it sounded like they'd get it off the OTA stream (PSIP) and not from DISH's locals guide data.

I really doubt that DISH would be dumb enough to make the 411's and then phase in the 211's in a matter of few weeks. Why make 2 sequential models when the release dates are only a few weeks apart? Instead of the 411 being phased out, it'd make more sense that they'd use both like they do now with the 301/311's. A 411 to be used if they don't have or need ethernet jack and a 211 to be used if they have one or if they need it.

I have spoken with a friend at the company today and that is indeed what they plan to do, the 211 will give Dish the ability to earn more revenue then the 411.

I have a feeling the 411 will be collectors item. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have spoken with a friend at the company today and that is indeed what they plan to do, the 211 will give Dish the ability to earn more revenue then the 411.

I have a feeling the 411 will be collectors item. :)

Perhaps some form of VOD for those with High-Speed internet?!

~Alan

I just bought a 811 from someone on ebay...I plan to activate the HD pack and VOOM ch's for 20 bucks a mth. I'm hoping that once dish switches over they will offer me a deal for a new receiver. But I have a feeling that Dish is a while away from actually switching over to Mpeg 4. It's going to take some time.

kevcar0603 said:
Just spoke to a CSR and you can buy the 211 right now for 473.99.
Do you have any link or more info on the 411 and 211? The dishnetwork web still doesn't provide info on this model.

It will be a cold day in HELL before I pay 473.99 for the 211. The most I will pay for them to swap my 811 for the 211 is about 100.00 and I think thats being resonable on my part. I'm not one of these guys on here that thinks Dish should give them everything just because they've been here for X amount of years and pay X amount of dollars a month but 473.99, give a man a break. If it true that they are selling the box now for that price I think it will drop down drastically in a few months or no one will buy it.

Now here is my Q, say my refurb leased 811 becomes 'broke' (who knows why, contless odd problems, I can lock the box up on command, takes about 10 min for it to come back to, reboots etc)

After the 15th i think, will they replace it for free w/ a 211, or try to pawn off an old 811?

That's the price she told me. She knew nothing about it until I told her and she even had a spec sheet on it so I don't think she was full of it. Price sounds odd but call for yourself.

kevcar0603 said:
Just spoke to a CSR and you can buy the 211 right now for 473.99.
That was a CSR on crack. ;)

The MSRP on the 211 is $399. And the 211 is not going to be out until mid December.

kevcar0603 said:
That's the price she told me. She knew nothing about it until I told her and she even had a spec sheet on it so I don't think she was full of it. Price sounds odd but call for yourself.

There is no spec sheet yet on the 211 or 411. Dish expects to have the spec sheets ready after Thanksgiving.

Just got off the phone, they said $413.99 (maybe 473?) (cant understand indian)

OR I can lease it right now for $50 shipping + 1 year reup (and $5 lease fee) the 211

Now, I wanted to, but i hate contracts!

Edit: Lady seemed informative, saying $100 for them to install it, and I would have to remove one box from my acct (im @ the limit)

Dp-34 Problems

Whats up with local HD Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)