Dish Network Newbie

JConway1968

Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
I admit it, I have been a Directv subscriber for years. I have two receivers one has ultimate TV and I love it. This is the basis for my question. What does Dish Network have in the way of a DVR with Two tuners (721 and 921)? What about the 522 I am hearing about? When will the 921 be out and what will be the promo prices for new customers? I do not have a HDTV but will most likely have one within the next year. I know I can use a HDTV receiver to receive standard Def channels on my current big screen, and I also understand that in order to receive local HD channels I will need an off-air antenna. If I have an off air antenna (the kind that clips to the dish i.e. Terk 44) will I not be able to also get Standard Def local channels and how does that reception compare to the locals you get from satellite?

When will the 921 be out and what will be the promo prices for new customers

In the next month and there will not be any specials on it .

I also understand that in order to receive local HD channels I will need an off-air antenna

Get rid of your little Useless clip on and get you something better. We could help you better if we know where you lived. Don't worry were not going to stalk you :)

OTA reception looks 300% better than the over compressed locals from dish and it saves you $5.99 per month.

If you have any questions just ask

OTA reception looks 300% better than the over compressed locals from dish and it saves you $5.99 per month.
Not to sure about 300% better, but OTA can definately be better. And most particularly digital broadcasts can vastly outperform the current locals delivery via satellite. However.... this is ONLY if you happen to live in a place with good quality, adequate signal level available at your antenna. Unfortuately, millions of Americans do not have decent OTA digital or analog signals available to them.

Thanks for the quick reply. I live outside of Chicago, about 50 Miles Northwest of the city. The town is "Lake in the Hills".

O.K., I did not completely understand what you said about local HD channels. I live outside Chattanooga TN (where they just released local channels). I would like to get HD prime time shows on CBS, ABC (especially MNF), etc. Is it available at all, if so what do I have to do to get it?

Mark Sorensen said:
Not to sure about 300% better, but OTA can definately be better. And most particularly digital broadcasts can vastly outperform the current locals delivery via satellite. However.... this is ONLY if you happen to live in a place with good quality, adequate signal level available at your antenna. Unfortuately, millions of Americans do not have decent OTA digital or analog signals available to them.

But are most people finding that SD OTA locals being run through the 811 look better than locals over the satellite? Of couse assuming you have a decent signal and all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts