Dish Network Question

bonnie_bonita

Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Hello,

I have a simple question, but I do not know the answer to it so if someone can help me out, I would very much appreciate it.

Obviously, I know that I can buy my own DN receiver off ebay, with numerous models available.

I also know that I can rent a number of receivers, alot of them the same that I can buy, but not have to put heavy money upfront.

MY QUESTION: If Dish Network still charges for EACH ADDITIONAL receiver
that I have with my account, what is the point of buying my
own if they are going to give me one that I do not need to
buy for $200,300,400,500,+++++

Thank you in advance,

Dish

I agree with you, I lease the 811 HD receiver for $5.00 per month. You can't beat that.

If something happens to the receiver and you own it then you would have to pay for the repair after the manufacturer's warranty is up unless you get the DHPP extended warranty. If you do not own the receiver but lease it but something happens to it that is not covered under the DHPP/lease such as acts of GOD or if someone does something to it like damage it their own self then you have to pay Dish Network the amount they say the receiver is worth retail value as if it was new. If you own it you would not have to pay Dish Network that full amount.

Another thing is if you own the receiver then you can get money back out of it when you sell it wheras when you pay Dish Network for the upgrade such as the 522 at $150 you cannot sell it to get some money back because Dish Network owns it vs. buying it for around $200 off of eBay. If something happened to that particular receiver that was not covered under the lease/DHPP then you have to pay $300 for that receiver.

I don't want to lease any receivers from Dish. Perhaps someday everyone will be required to do that, but right now I won't lease from them. That said with the fact that Dish will be going to MPEG4 sometime in the next decade :), I'd opt to lease instead of buying the more expensive receivers because I don't want to pay $500+ for a receiver and then turn around a year later and have to shell out another $500 for another receiver so that I can have the "NEW" channels that Dish adds. However, if you are wanting to buy a receiver for $100-200 it would be more worth buying than leasing one, but if you're looking at a 921/942 I wouldn't buy either of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)