Dish Network Questions

Alan Gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Dawson, GA
My family has been a DirecTV (and later Pegasus...UGH!!) subscriber since '94, but are getting tired of Pegasus, and wanting to try out Dish Network for a while and seeing how we like it. I've gotten to see how Dish works and watch the Charlie Chats for the last couple of times thanks to my Uncle who lives next door and is a Dish subscriber. However, some questions arise that presents some possible problems.

We plan on switching sometime in the next few months. Anywhere between the last of November til March of next year. I understand that Dish will have some deals for new subscribers that will include the Dish 811. I believe I have read on here that you can receive a 811/301/301 triple combo for like $99. The questions are:
How long does this deal go on?!
Should I wait for the 311?!
Is there any difference between the 301 and the 311?!
Also, if I decided that I want a 510 (even though I really want a 522), can I just pay the extra amount and swap one of the 301s for a 510?!

OK, the next question is this. To my understanding of what I have read around the internet, only Dish certified techs can install the SuperDISH, which means that if I want my local Dish retailer/installer to install it, I'm out of luck?! I mean, I find it stupid that I would have him come out and install a Dish 500 when I was just going to replace it right away with a SuperDISH. The other thing is that my Uncle has a two Dish 500 dishes. One closer to his house, and the other right by his garage to pick up the channels for a receiver in his office in the garage. This dish is less than two hundred feet from my house, so could I get a/the installer to install the SuperDish where his Dish 500 is, and that way, if they ever add our local channels, he can pick up them up in his garage, or will they say no can do.

Which brings me to my next question. In photos of the Team Dish Summit or whatever it was, they had posters next to the SuperDish saying locals in 150 cities, although now they are saying only 30-40 more cities. Are they planning on sending more transponders or spot-beams to 105, or am I just going to have to face the fact that it may be forever before my locals are on satellite (My NBC and Fox is out of #145 DMAs, and my CBS and ABC is out of the #125 DMA).

The other question is regarding the new development about receivers and phone lines. I currently have one DirecTV receiver not connected to a phone line, and when I get Dish, it will be at least two without a connection to a phone line (I never order PPV, so that won't be a problem), will this be a problem for Dish?!

Also, has anyone heard anything about Dish adding Fine Living to its lineup, because I sure would like to have it on there...

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
OK, the next question is this. To my understanding of what I have read around the internet, only Dish certified techs can install the SuperDISH, which means that if I want my local Dish retailer/installer to install it, I'm out of luck?!

~Alan

I talked to my local Dish guy today. He says that the SuperDish (SD) is actually quite difficult to install compared to a Dish 500. THe 500 can be preinstalled & carried up the ladder. The SD cannot. It has to be installed at the support site in pieces. Also, the SD should not be on a roof edge due to increased wind catch. The big thing is that the 105 deg. spot requires only a 2 deg margin of error to locate. Thus a slight nudge in the wrong direction will yield no signal. My guy thinks that half of his intallers will not be able to do it correctly at first!! THe installer really needs to have gone through SD specific training. I think that Dish may not allow selfinstall.

However, for HD Dish is the current leader & has the capacity & the plans to add 6-10 channels in the next 6 months. The 921 HD DVR is what is going to keep me with Dish for awhile!!

Robert

Is there any difference between the 301 and the 311?!

Smart Card is built on the motherboard on a 311 and the software is a little better, however the 301's are supposed to get the 311 software at some point.

I understand that Dish will have some deals for new subscribers that will include the Dish 811. I believe I have read on here that you can receive a 811/301/301 triple combo for like $99. The questions are:

That plan is called DHP its almost like subscribing to cable, the equipment is rented from DISH you do not own it.

The deal is just starting and goes for a few months and then will probably be tweeked a bit but will exist in one form or another.

You dont need to wait for the 311.

OK, the next question is this. To my understanding of what I have read around the internet, only Dish certified techs can install the SuperDISH, which means that if I want my local Dish retailer/installer to install it, I'm out of luck?!

At the beginning of rollout the SuperDISH will only be made available to those cities with locals on 105, if you are in one of these areas your local dealer should be able to install the SuperDISH, however you might not get a FREE SuperDISH, to get a free one you need to go through Dish Networks Installation program.

Once the SuperDISH is available to all your local dealer can install it again it is unknown if your local dealer can do free installs.

You should not have any phoneline problems from DISH unless you have 5 of more receivers.

And the people I have spoke with at Scripps have said they hope to have Fine Living on Dish in the near future.

I understand that Dish will have some deals for new subscribers that will include the Dish 811. I believe I have read on here that you can receive a 811/301/301 triple combo for like $99. The questions are:

That plan is called DHP its almost like subscribing to cable, the equipment is rented from DISH you do not own it.

I could have sworn that there was a deal with the 811/301/301 that wasn't DHP... I found the post from you that I was thinking of, and I guess I read it wrong, but I could have sworn it didn't have to do with DHP.

Free DISH: Effective October 18, 2003, customers can now watch TV the way they want and take advantage of the Lowest DISH Video-On-Demand Service price in America. The Free DISH promotion now has a 3-room solution including a DVR or an HD receiver option. Customers subscribing to a minimum of America’s Top 50 or DISH Latino entertainment package pay $49.99 upfront and receive a $49.99 credit on their first month’s bill. If a customer agrees to a 1-year programming purchase they can choose from eligible receiver configurations: see below.

Free DISH Receiver Configurations for 1-Year Agreement
811*
301/301
301/301/301
510/301
811*/301
Free DISH Receiver configuration for 2-Year Agreement or $99
510/301/301
811*/301/301
* DISH 811 when available

The customer can upgrade to a DISH Player-DVR 510 and two DISH 301s or a DISH 811 and two DISH 301s if they agree to a 2-year programming purchase, or they can pay an additional $99 and remain in a 1-year agreement. The cancellation fee for subscribers in a 1-year agreement remains $240. The cancellation fee for subscribers in a 2-year agreement will be $240 if they cancel during the first 12 months, and the lesser of $240 or $25 per month for any remaining months during the second 12 months. Additionally, remind customers to take advantage of 3 Months Free of the DISH Network Value Pak with America’s Top 100 and free Standard Professional Installation. Valid major credit card, Social Security Number, credit score, minimum programming purchase and cancellation fees are required. Please note, DISH-Video-On-Demand Service fees apply for the DISH Player-DVR 510.

So, this means that I pay the $399 for the 811?! No discounts for new subscribers, or am I just going to have to wait and see?!

~Alan

At the beginning of rollout the SuperDISH will only be made available to those cities with locals on 105, if you are in one of these areas your local dealer should be able to install the SuperDISH, however you might not get a FREE SuperDISH, to get a free one you need to go through Dish Networks Installation program.

Once the SuperDISH is available to all your local dealer can install it again it is unknown if your local dealer can do free installs.

I am NOT in one of the cities that is announced, and I haven't a clue as to whether or not my area is even being considered (although they should, because a good amount of people have satellites here, and a good number of them are Dish...not to mention the people I know who want to switch, but are staying with cable for the locals), so are you talking about when they roll out the SuperDISH(es) for the HDTV subscribers, or are you talking about when enough of them are manufactured and shipped?!

Alan,

Check out http://ekb.dbstalk.com/TVMarkets to see what TV market you are in. You are either in one city's market or another. You are never in more than one.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts