DISH NETWORK® UNVEILS BIGGEST HIGH DEFINITION UPGRADE IN TV HISTORY

According to MLB I live in the Yankees Territory and should have been able to watch that game, just not on tbs. Since Dish doesn't carry YES, and they are the priority broadcaster the Yankees Territory, I was blacked out on all fronts.:mad:
Others are correct. This is an MLB rule, not a Dish rule. MLB does not care if the provider carries YES or not, the blackout rules still apply and all providers must oblige.

Someone can correct me, but I believe the 1080P content will only be coming over the internet connection to your receiver, not a satellite.

Here is the relevant part of the press release...

Starting August 1, the recent blockbuster “I Am Legend” starring Will Smith will be available in 1080p resolution – same as Blu-Ray® Disc quality – only on DISH Network’s VOD service, DISH On Demand, at a discounted price. Subscribers may order the movie on DISH Network Channel 501. This marks the first time in history a pay-TV provider offers movies in 1080p, the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts today.

Sounds to me like they will be doing the standard Dish on Demand thing, dedicating a channel (501) to continuous repeats throughout the day. That is, unless channel 501 is going to be one of those application channels, like channel 100 is. Channel 501 is currently unavailable.

How is this "big" news if I have a VIP211 and VIP222? 150 HD channels...LMAO. 100 HD channels for me means I receive under 50, so 150 = under 75. Don't drink the Kool-Aid folks!

And of those, maybe 5 or 10 that any one person will probably watch. Throw in the movie channels if you are a subscriber, and that goes up to maybe 15-20.

I wonder how many channels the average person has in their favorites list? Of those, how many are viewed regularly?

At the SatelliteGuys meeting with Charlie in May, Charlie explained how they were going to do this...

Channels 501 - 510 will have movies listed with no start times. Clicking on them you will be able to order them and then they will start playing immediately as they are stored on your hard drive. :) This will give you VOD on all the hit PPV movies. :) The neat part is in the guide they will look like PPV channels. :)

All I can say is, competition is a wonderful thing. Image where D or E would be if only one of them existed? This is great news for subs of both providers.

I think Charlie is gonna have to add the Fox channels to reach his 150, and that would make me very happy, 1080P won't help me, my set only supports 1080i.

All I can say is, competition is a wonderful thing. Image where D or E would be if only one of them existed? This is great news for subs of both providers.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens if Dish goes under or has to sell itself to someone based on reported financial woes.

Even on a 720p display, 1080p will look better because more actual pixel data is available to scale with and no de-interlacing is being done. Fear not 720p owners, you will see an improvement!

I would agree, I am a Directv subscriber, but you got to tip the cap to Dish, becouse this can only increase the HD war and as subcribers we benefit!!

Blu-ray picture quality?

I will believe it when I see it. The picture quality MIGHT be comparable but DTS-MA, Dolby Tru-HD, and LPCM audio is amazing.., plus I Am Legend was released months ago.... The Netflix/PS3 combination is still the best solution...

So when we get the new software, our DVRs will be able to output 1080p.......

Does that mean that 1080p will now be one of the output formats we can choose from the menu, meaning the DVR will upconvert everything to 1080p..........OR, does it mean that native resolution passthrough will now be enabled?

The real question here, of course, is: How will the DVR know to output a HD VOD movie in 1080p? :confused:

Brad

They are using the DVR's hard drives to hold/store the 1080p movie until you're ready to view it. There simply isn't the bandwidth to stream 1080p content and watch it on-the-fly.

I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms over bandwidth. Progressive takes slightly less bandwidth than interlaced.

mmmmmmmmmmm yummy 1080p Lite. Can't wait to see 1280x1080p @ 3mbps!

Hopefully this will backfire on Charlie and force him to send us real High Definition on all hd channels. When joe-blow gets a load of this content and compares it to all his other hd channels he's gonna start calling the clue-less customer service complaining his hd is broke. Come on, stop with the gimmicks. Get real:

1. Stop downrezzing & bitstarving all the regular "HD" channels.
2. Finish upgrading the mpeg2 HD to mpeg4.
3. Bring back a condensed Voom.
4. Then maybe think about "1080p" content.

HC Locals

Any updates on planned HC Locals coming in the winter? I'm still holding out hope for the Harrisburg, PA DMA...

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens if Dish goes under or has to sell itself to someone based on reported financial woes.
As a Direct sub I hope that doesn't happen. Even though the bandwidth would be huge of both Direct and Dish merged, competition would take a hit. Not as much as the first time they tried to merge. Remember, they are competing more againts each other than they are against other providers., ,

At the SatelliteGuys meeting with Charlie in May, Charlie explained how they were going to do this...

Channels 501 - 510 will have movies listed with no start times. Clicking on them you will be able to order them and then they will start playing immediately as they are stored on your hard drive. :) This will give you VOD on all the hit PPV movies. :) The neat part is in the guide they will look like PPV channels. :)

So is it coming in off the satellite or internet ? I'm not sure I want my internet connection bogged down pulling down the video. Also, many ISPs (Comcast) have been imposing download limits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)