Dish Network Reciever Compatability Question

ssybert

Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
NH
Hi Guys,

I live in the North East and recently (last 4 months) had Dish Network come out and replace my DirecTV system with a Dish Network installation.

For a number of reasons I wanted to get away from DirecTV and for the longest time I was not eligable for DISH because of a line of sight issue. I do not the need for HD programming and the two satellites I needed visablity to were to far to the east and too low to the horizon (trees, neighbors house, etc).

They told me they were launching new satellites higher in the sky and more to the south and, according to the tech that came on site, said I had perfect line of sight for these new birds. the only caveat was I had to pay $5/mo for an HD enabling fee. These satellites were apparently mpeg4 only and used for HD customers. Standard customers used the two I was unable to see.

Long story short, I got the service, pay the extra and have a brandy new elliptical dish on my roof pointing high in the sky to the south.

Now for my question: I want to add another reciever out in my shop but Dish wants $50-75 depending on single or dual tuner, etc... I asked if I could buy a used one on eBay (something DirecTV does NOT let you do. An absolute complete waste of hardware.) and they said sure.

I was looking at a simple 311 reciever but dont know if it will work with the satellites I'm recieving now.

Does anyone know if this reciever will work with these new birds?

Thanks,
Scott

Your description sounds like Eastern Arc install. That requires an MPEG4 receiver limiting you to only VIP model receivers the 311 isn't MPEG4. You will be looking at HDTV receivers which will be more expensive. Going through DISH maybe your cheapest method.

Yes, you are correct. It is an 'Eastern Arc' install. the installer told me the new bird up there was fully MPEG4 but I didn't know if it was just one MPEG4 sat for HD and the other two were standard sats like the 110 and 119.

I'll take a look on ePay for a VIP box but it's looking like your correct. DISH is probably going to be the cheapest route.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)