DISH Network Woes

icmroadkill

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Bakersfield, California
I attempted to pay my DISH Network bill yesterday and discovered that they had charged me $300 for a receiver they claim never arrived after I sent it back. The receiver - which DISH no longer even offers - was sent back in October along with a second receiver, which they did have record of receiving. For several hours on Wednesday, I was unable to find the tracking info. I eventually found it - they had the receiver in hand all along, but here are e-mails that I sent to the executive team at ceo@echostar.com. I may have sent too many e-mails, but I was extremely frustrated. To this point, I've yet to receive any response or indication that they even know I exist. Am I out of line to think someone should maybe pick up the phone (my phone number was included in all the correspondence) or send an e-mail?

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:46 AM
To: ceo@echostar.com
Subject: Clarification

Hi. My name is Robert P and I've been a DISH Network customer for at least the last ten years. I subscribe to America's Everything package, as well as other stuff. My account is 8255 90 905 *******. I went online to pay my bill today and found that I owe you over $400 for the past month. You are saying that a receiver that I sent back months ago was never received. The receiver - one of two that I sent back on the same day - was sent months ago. I held on to the tracking info until two weeks ago when I cleaned out my car. I was stunned to log on and discover that you are now billing me for that receiver - a receiver that was literally not functioning. I was just told by Don (HBF) that I need to go to UPS and try to get that tracking number. Otherwise, there is nothing your company can do to reverse the charge. I will go to UPS the next time I don't have a 13 hour workday staring at me, but I am very frustrated with the situation. Someone couldn't have called me and alerted me that the receiver didn't arrive? I held on to the tracking info for months! At any rate, I'm very frustrated. Needless to say, if this does not see a fair resolution I'll take my business somewhere else. In the meantime, I'll make the drive to UPS as soon as I am able to and I'll pay my bill minus the charge for the receiver. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Robert P

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:24 AM
Subject: re: Clarification

OK, so I went ahead and called my local UPS Store where these were dropped off at 4450 California Ave, Suite K in Bakersfield, CA. (661-325-9050) You had to have received the other receiver, since you're only billing me for one. THEY WERE BOTH SENT ON THE SAME DAY AT THE EXACT SAME TIME! My local UPS Store laughed when I asked them to look up the tracking info based on my home address. (That's what your rep, Don - HBF, asked me to do) They have no way of looking that up. I sent these MONTHS ago, so I went ahead and threw the tracking info away when I cleaned my car a few weeks ago. I just paid my bill minus the receiver fee. If you insist that I pay for a receiver that a) wasn't working and b) was sent back to you, I'll be very frustrated. Once again, when I threw the info away, it had been MONTHS since the receivers were shipped. I seriously don't have time to play detective. Can you help? I just got off the phone with Anderis (6FQ) who politely told me that I will have to pay the charge and I have no recourse. Well, I'm stunned. I'm sorry your company is taking such a hard line on this and I'm sorry your receiver never arrived. I held on to the tracking info for nearly three months. If there was a problem I wish someone would have taken the time to call me. I guess I should have hung on to the info for three months plus two weeks.

Robert P

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:34 AM
Subject: re: Clarification

I just completed a chat session with one of your reps. I was inquiring about cancellation fees ($315). She told me to wait for a few days and see how this resolves. I already spoke to a member of your executive team -Anderis (6FQ) - who told me I have zero recourse. He also told me that he was the final authority on the matter. I contacted Bright House Networks based on what he told me. Is he not the final word? Is there a possibility for a different resolution? Please let me know ASAP. I've now resigned myself to possibly partnering with a different provider based on Anderis' comments. Your chat rep said to hold on for a few days. Now I'm not only frustrated, I'm also confused.

Robert P

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:59 AM
Subject: Fw: Clarification

Well, as you know, I found the tracking info and yup, YOU HAD THE FREAKING RECEIVER ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! To add insult to injury, I arrived home from work last night at 10:00 pm hoping to unwind with the programming that I'd recorded that day. That wasn't gonna happen. You folks de-authorized one of my receivers in the midst of yesterday's events. Nothing was recorded. The receiver you de-authorized is R00933*****-**. When I called tech support last night, I was informed that that the R00 number was wrong. After ten minutes on hold, he apologized and re-authorized the receiver. At this point, I'm extremely frustrated with you. I've been a customer over ten years. You were ready to hold my feet to the fire for $300 over a receiver that's not even a current model. No one from ceo@echostar.com ever bothered to even reply to the emails I sent yesterday. You de-authorized one of my receivers for who knows what reason. Again, over ten years as a customer. I subscribe to everything. Yesterday, I learned that my loyalty to you counts for nothing. Thanks.

Robert P

I attempted to pay my DISH Network bill yesterday and discovered that they had charged me $300 for a receiver they claim never arrived after I sent it back. The receiver - which DISH no longer even offers - was sent back in October along with a second receiver, which they did have record of receiving. For several hours on Wednesday, I was unable to find the tracking info. I eventually found it - they had the receiver in hand all along, but here are e-mails that I sent to the executive team at ceo@echostar.com. I may have sent too many e-mails, but I was extremely frustrated. To this point, I've yet to receive any response or indication that they even know I exist. Am I out of line to think someone should maybe pick up the phone (my phone number was included in all the correspondence) or send an e-mail?

Robert P

This is why the last couple of days when I had to send back three receivers, (two defective, one would not authorize) I made copies of the shipping labels and made sure to get a receipt from the UPS drop off location. There are some other similar stories out there like this on this forum. One person said they charged them for the boxes and said they did not know where they were they never received them, but when he said he had the tracking number and that it was delivered, within a minute they changed their tune and said they had received it. There seems to be something fishy here with E*'s procedures for these return boxes.

Yea, keep your tracking numbers!

If your worried about loosing the tracking number, best thing to do is call 800-333-DISH after you ship it and have the CSR put the tracking number in the notes on your account after you ship it.

I send back defective receivers all the time as a dealer and every few months they send me an invoice for a receiver they claim they never received. $99 here, $99 there, its just easier for me to just pay the invoice instead of going back to look at my shipping logs to fight it.

But this is one of the reasons why I stopped helping customers out by shipping back their defective receivers, because I ended up having to pay for 2 receivers that I shipped back for customers that DISH Network claimed they never received.

When the customer ships the receiver back, they battle it out with DISH Network when they say its not returned and im out of the loop.

Be careful, they might say that the receivers were instect infested and try to charge you for them. Had a friend that had that happen to him. They said they had to destroy the receivers due to biohazard. Got them to waive the fee though thankfully.

Honestly, I'm still stunned that I never heard from anyone. Not even a we're sorry for de-authorizing one of your current receivers. After reading these replies, I'm just glad I was able to find the tracking numbers. I'm no longer frustrated, but I'm not sure I'd let frustrated e-mails go unanswered if it were my business. Oh well. I found out that Bright House's DVR only has 20 hours of HD recording time and can only record two programs at once. DirecTV doesn't offer HD locals in Bakersfield, CA, so I'm not going anywhere soon.

I am not sure if this is true for all consumer contracts, but I have read and heard that if a cell phone company makes a mistake on your bill it basically voids the contract and you can get out of it without penalty. Does anybody know if this would apply to dish? Them charing you $300 when you have proof that it was delivered to them weeks ago I think will be more than enough of a mistake to justify that type of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)