Dish now promoting Welcome Pack??

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I noticed when I was on the Dish site in the programming packages they show Welcome Pack.....but then I thought "well firefox has my account info cookie so maybe thats why"

so I went into IE which doesnt have any account cookies and gosh dang it shows there too.

Is Dish now in essence promoting the Welcome Pack as a low cost alternative?

edit: went back in and looked and yeah its on there. The ie page has the promo pricing for the packages whereas the firefox page shows regular price

Attachments

• welcome pack.jpg
    welcome pack.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 526
It has been there around two weeks at least. My parents are paying over $70 month for cable and wanted something cost effective without losing certain channels. I mentioned the Family Package but was surprised to see the Welcome Package listed. As it turns out, They wanted TBS, AMC, MSNBC, Oxygen and SPEED. With the loss of only one of those, I'm sure they will probably go with the Welcome Package. They actually thought the $14.99 price was introductory. :)

More likely they use the Welcome pack as a last ditch effort to attract the potential customers who want to pay the lowest prices and to retain the subs who want to churn over the rising prices on fees and program packs.

After the DIRECTV rate increase in February (yes, the details are mostly out of the bag), I'm betting DISH is going to be pushing "value" pretty hard (at least until their price increase a month later).

More likely they use the Welcome pack as a last ditch effort to attract the potential customers who want to pay the lowest prices and to retain the subs who want to churn over the rising prices on fees and program packs.
Given that the competition charges upwards of $60 for a pedestrian channel package (this includes DIRECTV's 150+ channel Choice package), there's lots of room for less expensive packages.

I thought I saw where DirecTV was advertising a price freeze until 2013 just like Dish...or is that just for new subs?

After the DIRECTV rate increase in February (yes, the details are mostly out of the bag), I'm betting DISH is going to be pushing "value" pretty hard (at least until their price increase a month later).
considering you are in the Drectv constantly (and you dont even sub to it) you should know the details are posted for everyone to see (including Dish who will probably follow with new fees) ;)

I'm afraid that DISH will do just that and hike their already EXPENSIVE FEES.:eek: Considering they can't hike their programming pack price till 2013 , that leaves only the fee structure . Of course they might actually come out with the whole house XIP dvr and that means a whole new list of Made up , charge it just because we can, FEES . I can see the 110 box having some kind of new fee like the additional receiver fees and the whole house dvr will have a separate FEE and the dvr fee will be $10.00 like the 922 has . So by the time you add it all up , you won't save any money at all by using the whole house dvr XIP 813 receiver and 110 units in each room. Or maybe I'm just seeing the negative here ,based on 15 years of DISH experience.:rolleyes:

MikeD-C05 said:
I'm afraid that DISH will do just that and hike their already EXPENSIVE FEES.:eek: Considering they can't hike their programming pack price till 2013 , that leaves only the fee structure . Of course they might actually come out with the whole house XIP dvr and that means a whole new list of Made up , charge it just because we can, FEES . I can see the 110 box having some kind of new fee like the additional receiver fees and the whole house dvr will have a separate FEE and the dvr fee will be $10.00 like the 922 has . So by the time you add it all up , you won't save any money at all by using the whole house dvr XIP 813 receiver and 110 units in each room. Or maybe I'm just seeing the negative here ,based on 15 years of DISH experience.:rolleyes:

While anything is possible, I really wonder if they would raise there receiver fees. I think it puts them at a disadvantage for anyone who would like to have two DVR's but welcome pack does look like a nice basic channels for folks who want a basic set up

The thing is that only the "America's Top" were frozen until Feb 2013 so it's still possible we could see price hikes on the Everything Pack, the Latino packages or even the multi-sport pack. I'd be surprised to Dish raising receiver fees again, but hey this is Dish we're talking about: The most inconsistent tv provider when it comes to marketing and technology.

I checkd out Ice`s Thumbnail and the Dish site and am not sure if the welcome pack includes locals and HD.
Can someone please answer that for me??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts