Dish Offering 10 Mbps, $30 Fixed LTE in Virginia

Wonder if there is a cap?
Wonder what the price is if you don't want TV?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If it had a reasonable cap it would be better than HughesNet, Exede, or Verizon HomeFusion.
I have Exede as a backup for a 4.0 DSL connection, I hope they get this nationwide. Of course where I live in rural Northwest Alabama, all that we have as far as cellular goes is AT&T and Verizon that work well. I don't see either of them partnering with Dish to offer service though.

This is being done in the Waynesboro/Staunton Virginia area from last I was reading, the same area that nTelos has a foothold on better coverage than other providers but their service is pretty bad from what I gather from family living there.

I live in this area and just called to get info. There is no cap and no contract commitment, they say the speed is 10 mbps. I am signing up and will let you know what speed I actually get. I currently get 3 mbps via DSL and pay $59.99/month and have to have a landline phone which is another $40.00/month. There are no other options without going with a cellular or satellite company and the speeds and reliability are slow at best. I will have this installed and keep my current DSL for a month or two to see how the speed really compares.

Wasn't there a rumor about verizon eyeballing a possible merger with dish, mainly for the spectrum?
Not a merger, they don't want Dish just want to buy the spectrum, however, at this point even that seems unlikely according to most recent articles.

That's what I thought. I haven't been staying on top of it. To many buyouts, and mergers and FCC involvements going on right now. My iPhone stock feed is nearly impossible to read right now. Lol

Hmm, so far the CSR's see that this is still in test market mode and not available yet for install. I contacted DIRT and was told to call. It appears that they did the news release a little early if it's not ready for roll out. I sent an email to Joe Clayton to see if someone can give me the correct info on this. I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Hmm, so far the CSR's see that this is still in test market mode and not available yet for install. I contacted DIRT and was told to call. It appears that they did the news release a little early if it's not ready for roll out. I sent an email to Joe Clayton to see if someone can give me the correct info on this. I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Some info got rolled out to CSRs today, literally this afternoon. The link we received was broken, at least when I tried it. :) There is enough info there, though, that CSRs that see the update should know where to transfer the call to.

CSRs still have no concrete info on things like the SEC network. Why, I don't know...

If the speed is not what they promised the contract should be null and void. Take a couple of screen shots of a speed test to prove it.
Ah there is the rub. Most internet speeds are not a guaranteed speed. Almost everyone I read about is Download speed of "up to XX",Upload speed "up to xx". Sad part is we pay for the "up to " speed no matter if we get only get 28.8k(dial up speed). And if Frontier Communication's is any indicator of other ISP's the speed range is all over the place. My DSL is priced at the 12m down rate. My actual is anywhere from .1 to 5.8.

They are rolling it out in a couple of test markets. I wasn't told of any data caps but there may be one, like a 250GB cap or something. It's not like DishNet. The speeds are based on the apartment building where you live.

We'll see but it doesn't seem likely that I'll be leaving Fios any time soon.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I would wonder if they route a public IP to your in home modem/router, or if they nat you. The main reason being problems with Double Nat.

As to speed, that would of course be relative. If they are truly interested in making it work, they wouldn't hide or administratively deny ICMP Echo so that you could get a proper visualization of the network path and responsiveness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)