Dish on a 4k TV

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
I asked this last year but figure more people have 4K TVs now. I am getting my first 4k TV next month. People complain about dish PQ. How is it looking up converted by these new TVS? I am inheriting a early generation Sony xbr850a as the current homeowner is leaving it. I have Hopper 2K now and would upgrade to Hopper 3. Thanks

I asked this last year but figure more people have 4K TVs now. I am getting my first 4k TV next month. People complain about dish PQ. How is it looking up converted by these new TVS? I am inheriting a early generation Sony xbr850a as the current homeowner is leaving it. I have Hopper 2K now and would upgrade to Hopper 3. Thanks

If you ever want to view a 4K program or channel with Dish you will need the Hopper 3.

No I was asking g how HD on Dish looks up converted on a 4k TV. That is going to be the most common thing until actual 4k channels arrive.

The upconverting gives a superb picture. For 4k that TV has to be HDMI 2, HDCP 2.2 and 60FPS. Not all early 4k TVs are fully ready. Dish has some 4k VOD and the Hopper3 does Netflix 4k very transparently if you have sufficient download Internet speed, 25mps.

The upconverting gives a superb picture. For 4k that TV has to be HDMI 2, HDCP 2.2 and 60FPS. Not all early 4k TVs are fully ready. Dish has some 4k VOD and the Hopper3 does Netflix 4k very transparently if you have sufficient download Internet speed, 25mps.

Yes only 1 input is compliant on the TV. Thinking of getting a receiver that is 2.2 compliant and run everything through it and one cable to the compliant input on the tv.

I wouldn't expect miracles from 4K upconversion, but its not bad. The size of the TV will make a difference, especially if you are moving to a TV considerably larger than what you are used to. The larger the TV, the more imperfections you will notice from the Dish compression at the same viewing distance.

As for the Hopper 2000 vs Hopper 3. The picture on regular HD channels will be very similar on the new TV, as both are going to output up to 1080i and your TV's scaler will handle the upconversion to 4K. While the H3 does display 4K content, it only outputs a 4K signal when viewing 4K content. The rest of the time it only outputs 1080i signal just like the original Hopper. That said, the H3 is light years faster in operation from the original Hopper. Its a worthy upgrade on that alone, IMO.

Vizio made a device that would upconvert the 1080i HDMI signal you send through it to 1080p it was called the Vizio Co Star,don't know if they still make them,but I am sure there are other devices that can do the same.

A 1080p HDMI signal sent to a 4K UHDTV and upscaled does look better than a 1080i HDMI signal.

The 4K up conversion of DISH signals looks good on my Samsung UHD display. I was worried about this as well, coming from DTV just a month ago. From a strictly subjective POV, I believe the DTV picture quality was slightly better than DISH, but not by much. A convenience of the Hopper 3 is its' "built-in" capability of passing true 4K to your your set (provided you have the compatible HDMI and HDCP inputs on your set).

Vizio made a device that would upconvert the 1080i HDMI signal you send through it to 1080p it was called the Vizio Co Star,don't know if they still make them,but I am sure there are other devices that can do the same...

That just adds another layer of conversion. A decent 4k TV does the upscaling just fine from 1080i.

Reactions: osu1991 and DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts