Dish Pause disables ext HDD???

sremick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Vermont, USA
After hearing that my position would be terminated in a few months, I took proactive steps to immediately reduce unnecessary expenses. I heard about Dish Pause, and was assured that I'd have access to recorded material on my DVR. Since I have a 722 along with a huge 1TB external hard drive (which contains 99% of the stuff I actually care about), it seemed reasonable and I was depending on being able to still access that huge library of recorded movies during this difficult period.

However, after they activated Dish Pause, I tried to access my external hard drive but the system said that it wasn't activated. I started another chat to complain. Their line? Basically: Oh, we're sorry we lied to you... all that stuff you recorded that we SAID you could still watch, you can't because we're stupid and have no way to keep the external hard drive enabled during Dish Pause, even though it's utterly unfair to the customer and contrary to what we tell you you can do. And despite it being logically and morally wrong, we're not going to fix this bug/incompetency in our system.

For real?

Dish pause deactivates your receivers so naturally the EHD won't work.

No, because the DVR functions work for playing previously-recorded stuff. A feature I was explicitly told I could do.

I can play things off the 722 fine. But I didn't keep anything good there... only disposable stuff. The "keeper" material I moved to the external hard drive. It's ridiculous that I am allowed to play recorded stuff off the 722... but not off the hard drive.

I think they now can disable the OTA tuner in your 722 also.

The whole point is that they want you a paying customer and they don't want people getting away simply watching their recordings.

You could technicially re-activate the account, get the programming authorization hit and disconnect the satellite input. It would probably work for 30 days until the tiers expired on the card.

It's ridiculous that any recordings are encrypted to begin with, but that's what happens when carriers won't stand up for their customers rights. Not even having internal policy consistency is just a further symptom of their lack of respect for basic principles.

The whole point is that they want you a paying customer and they don't want people getting away simply watching their recordings.

Except:

1) I am still paying... albeit only $5/mo... and it automatically re-activates my full programming package in 6 months if I don't ask for it to happen earlier.
2) I was explicitly told I'd be able to continue watching my recorded material during Dish Pause. This was touted as a feature/benefit.

I think they now can disable the OTA tuner in your 722 also.

You could technicially re-activate the account, get the programming authorization hit and disconnect the satellite input. It would probably work for 30 days until the tiers expired on the card.

that sounds like the best bet.

After hearing that my position would be terminated in a few months, I took proactive steps to immediately reduce unnecessary expenses. I heard about Dish Pause, and was assured that I'd have access to recorded material on my DVR. Since I have a 722 along with a huge 1TB external hard drive (which contains 99% of the stuff I actually care about), it seemed reasonable and I was depending on being able to still access that huge library of recorded movies during this difficult period.

However, after they activated Dish Pause, I tried to access my external hard drive but the system said that it wasn't activated. I started another chat to complain. Their line? Basically: Oh, we're sorry we lied to you... all that stuff you recorded that we SAID you could still watch, you can't because we're stupid and have no way to keep the external hard drive enabled during Dish Pause, even though it's utterly unfair to the customer and contrary to what we tell you you can do. And despite it being logically and morally wrong, we're not going to fix this bug/incompetency in our system.

For real?

I can imagine how frustrating that must be for you. There is another option besides DISH Pause that would allow you to receive some programming, as well as allow you to access your EHD content. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can go over some more account specific details with you. Thanks!

I think there is some serious miscommunication. You CAN still watch recorded material, on the DVR. The EHD is completely different, because Dish has to be sure the EHD is only used with your equipment. So the satellite sends an authorizing signal for the EHD to work. When you pause you effectively have temporarily stopped your service and no more signal. Had you completely ended your service you would never again been able to see the shows on the EHD even if you got a new account with DISH. So in effect the $5 is preserving your account as well as your ability to watch the EHD when you turn it back on.

Everyone getting mad, this is all over a miscommunication. What the OP was told is correct, he can watch recorded material on his DVR, which is exactly what he posted.The OP was thinking EHD equals DVR.
And it really isn't about encryption, it's about Dish wanting you to actually have programming to use the EHD.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous that any recordings are encrypted to begin with, but that's what happens when carriers won't stand up for their customers rights. Not even having internal policy consistency is just a further symptom of their lack of respect for basic principles.

Nothing inconsistent. He was told he could watch his DVR, and he can. At no time has it been possible to watch the EHD without an active account.
And I don't blame someone like HBO for insisting there be some way to attach what you record to your account and receivers only. It meets the spirit of being able to use what you pay for, but not easily let others have it for free.

Everyone getting mad, this is all over a miscommunication. What the OP was told is correct, he can watch recorded material on his DVR, which is exactly what he posted.The OP was thinking EHD equals DVR.

exactly. Someone asked the same thing 2 weeks ago if they could view their DVR recordings while on Dish Pause and yes it can be done.

Nothing inconsistent. He was told he could watch his DVR, and he can.
Except that the external HDD is just an extension of the DVR. Added additional storage. Another place to store programs recorded from the DVR. It shouldn't be arbitrary that Movie XYZ if being stored on the DVR remains available, but same Movie XYZ if it happened to be sitting on my external HDD is now locked out from me.

At no time has it been possible to watch the EHD without an active account.
Then that's a design flaw of their system. The status of the recorded show, from a license and interest standpoint of Dish, remains the same.

And I don't blame someone like HBO for insisting there be some way to attach what you record to your account and receivers only. It meets the spirit of being able to use what you pay for, but not easily let others have it for free.
How would I be able to play it off the external HDD without a receiver regardless? Once moved to the ext HDD the files are encrypted. They're unavailable to me unless I have a running DVR... and I don't have a running DVR unless I have something current w/ Dish Network, whether a full package or the $5/mo "Dish Pause". Why does HBO not want me to play a given movie one way, but is ok another, when both require the exact same hardware setup and current status with Dish?

sremick said:
Except that the external HDD is just an extension of the DVR. Added additional storage. Another place to store programs recorded from the DVR. It shouldn't be arbitrary that Movie XYZ if being stored on the DVR remains available, but same Movie XYZ if it happened to be sitting on my external HDD is now locked out from me.

Then that's a design flaw of their system. The status of the recorded show, from a license and interest standpoint of Dish, remains the same.

How would I be able to play it off the external HDD without a receiver regardless? Once moved to the ext HDD the files are encrypted. They're unavailable to me unless I have a running DVR... and I don't have a running DVR unless I have something current w/ Dish Network, whether a full package or the $5/mo "Dish Pause". Why does HBO not want me to play a given movie one way, but is ok another, when both require the exact same hardware setup and current status with Dish?

HBO doesn't want you to have access to any recorded programming unless you still sub to HBO. Fortunately, that level of content restriction has yet ti be implemented. It wouldn't surprise me if it becomes a reality in the near future.

As for not having EHD access without the account being active, it makes sense. The EHD needs to be authorized for the specific account (otherwise people could share their EHD content with anyone else who has a Dish DVR). Apparently the authorization doesn't work with Dish pause because the account isn't active. Given how EHD authorization works, that is not surprising. I can, however, understand your disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

1. No, one is a DVR, one is an EHD . Dish will allow you to watch what you recorded on their equipment, the DVR, because they have control over it, they have no such control over the EHD, your equipment that once detached is out of their control.

2. There is not design flaw, it's a combination of you thinking they are the same thing, and Dish not wanting you to use it if you are not actually buying programming from them.

3. You miss the point. It may need the Dish receiver, but Dish/HBO, or whoever wants to be sure it's on your receiver, not brought to another house or easily copied. What's to prevent you from going to someone who has Dish and share programming content by moving items to the EHD instead of buying actual programming. I tell you what prevents it, the signal that only comes if you have said actual programming.

Neither the CSR or Dish has mislead you, honestly you mislead yourself. The CSR clearly told you that the DVR would still be able to be used, and it can. You decided that meant the EHD also, and unfortunately you were wrong.

Last edited:
Well, I sympathize with the OP. I see no reason to disable the EHD when the account is on pause, other than the obvious reason to give customers greater incentive to return to active status and pay more. The encryption on the EHD is a red herring, as shown by the fact that you can take your account back off pause and regain access, regardless of the subscription status of the channels you recorded.

Well, I sympathize with the OP. I see no reason to disable the EHD when the account is on pause, other than the obvious reason to give customers greater incentive to return to active status and pay more. The encryption on the EHD is a red herring, as shown by the fact that you can take your account back off pause and regain access, regardless of the subscription status of the channels you recorded.

Oh, I agree, it's the incentive to return that is number one, but it's a feature of Dish Network for those who buy programming not a right for life. The encryption is not a red herring however to me. If you leave Dish, you can't ever watch that material again. I have no doubt that is insisted on by the programmers, as well as Dish wanting you to stay as a customer. I sympathize with the economic problems of the OP, I just wish he didn't assume being told he could use the DVR meant the EHD also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)