Dish "Pause"

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Can you do it during a contract term and if so what's the fee?

Thank you

From another recent discussion, I think you can only pause for up to 9 months before they turn it back on automatically, too, right?
Yes, but if you call immediately after coming out to Dish Pause and say you have decided to leave Dish they will extend for another 3 months to allow you time to change your mind. Please don't ask how I know this.
$5 per month for pausing is definitely worth not having to get a new install and contract whenever I get back.

Reactions: Yragha
Yea I was thinking of leaving for streaming but instead paused til football season when I'll restart? Plus I like getting 82, 185, 259, some music and the Freeview channels for $6.05 a month.

So your telling me it's possible to get the discounts back when I restart or is that a pipe dream?

Yea I was thinking of leaving for streaming but instead paused til football season when I'll restart? Plus I like getting 82, 185, 259, some music and the Freeview channels for $6.05 a month.

So your telling me it's possible to get the discounts back when I restart or is that a pipe dream?

I usually get mine back, all you do is have to call and talk to the CSR and mention what you had before you paused.

Reactions: Yragha

I am surprised at posts that say they get back the discounts. DISH specifically says you won't.
"In the event that you participate in DISH Pause, or any other program that allows you to temporarily suspend your DISH service, then you will no longer be eligible to participate in DISH's 2-Year TV Price Guarantee promotion and you will pay the then-current price for each of your programming packages, Additional Receiver Fees, and DVR Service Fees."

I am surprised at posts that say they get back the discounts. DISH specifically says you won't.
"In the event that you participate in DISH Pause, or any other program that allows you to temporarily suspend your DISH service, then you will no longer be eligible to participate in DISH's 2-Year TV Price Guarantee promotion and you will pay the then-current price for each of your programming packages, Additional Receiver Fees, and DVR Service Fees."

They would like to take away the discounts after Dish pause, but usually when they do the customer at that point usually decides to go on Dish pause forever.

So Dish likely ends up reinstating the credits.

Unlike with retailers, once a customer goes on pause they charge back the commission forever

Reactions: Tampa8
It might come down to what kind of customer you are, a flex customer might have a harder time getting discounts back than I do as a 15 year customer on AT 250.

Reactions: Tampa8
Resurrecting this thread with the following question:

Can one "Pause" Dish service if one is out of contract? Everything I've found here and elsewhere on the interwebs only speaks to pausing while under contract. I'm hoping someone who has actually paused while out of contract will chime in here. I'm out of contract and wish to pause my service but I fear that Dish may require a new 2 yr. contract to do this.

Really? What about cases where you won't be able to use the receiver for a time?
Wirelezz asked if you can pause while out of contract. My answer had to do with that. If you own your equipment you can cancel without returning your equipment. Then when you are ready to re-establish service you can turn it on again. But, if you have an EHD you could lose all the recordings unless you are able to get your old account number back. There are possibilities of that if you are not out of service for a long time.

Wirelezz asked if you can pause while out of contract. My answer had to do with that. If you own your equipment you can cancel without returning your equipment. Then when you are ready to re-establish service you can turn it on again. But, if you have an EHD you could lose all the recordings unless you are able to get your old account number back. There are possibilities of that if you are not out of service for a long time.
Huh? Wirelezz asked the exact same question Yragha (the OP) asked, and to which you yourself replied clearly and succintly in post #2 in this very thread. You are the one who brought up leased equipment for reasons unknown. If you have to return leased equipment during Dish Pause, that is news to me.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Huh? Wirelezz asked the exact same question Yragha (the OP) asked, and to which you replied correctly in post #2 in this very thread. You are the one who brought up leased equipment. If you have to return leased equipment during Dish Pause, that is news to me.
No, you do not have to return leased equipment during pause. That is a good reason to go to pause if you intend to come back in some short time. Actually Yragha asked about pause during a contract term while Wirelezz asked specifically about a non contract term. If you are under contract, with leased equipment, and want to shut your service off for a short term, pause is the way to go simply because if you cancel service for that short term and have the intention of restarting service later you would need to return your equipment. If you are not under contract but still have leased equipment, pause is still the way to go. If you are not under contract and own your equipment, cancel is an option because you wouldn't need to return the equipment and you wouldn't need to pay $5 a month for pause. I hope that makes it clearer. :)

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread with the following question:

Can one "Pause" Dish service if one is out of contract? Everything I've found here and elsewhere on the interwebs only speaks to pausing while under contract. I'm hoping someone who has actually paused while out of contract will chime in here. I'm out of contract and wish to pause my service but I fear that Dish may require a new 2 yr. contract to do this.
Hello Wirelezz! Yes, you are able to place your account on DISH Pause if you do not have a contract for the same fee of $5 per month. This option works great for users who plan on continuing their services after a period of time or those who do not own their equipment. Additionally, accounts might not have the option to be reinstated if they are cancelled for extended periods of time, meaning you would need to sign up for a new account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts