Dish Police back in action.

Dish could get Sprint and build a chip inside the receivers to make sure they locate a Sprint tower to see where they are at.

Yep,that's what I did.It was kind of funny though,at first they said how can we help you.:rolleyes: Duh,I'm calling you back as I was instructed to.She made it very clear that I'm not to call that number again for anything else.Kewl,you can bet your arse I won't!

If I get a call from this number I might post it on craigslist or bathroom stalls. ;) I mean if they are going to inconvenience me why wouldn't I do the same to them ?

Hall has got a point, there are many places in this area that cell signals are nonexistent.

Note that, in my hypothetical scenario, I said all receivers were connected via hardwired Ethernet. Are you saying that Dish has some way of figuring out my SSID without any access to the wireless portion of my router at all? :mad:

Also, how can Dish "force" a "wireless radio" to do a scan of my neighborhood? I think they would have to have control of a wireless device, which they do not, since none of my Dish receivers have a wireless connection.

I don't know if Dish has the capabilities or wants the capabilities but it is possible. Reading what the NSA and Chinese have been doing there are some powerful exploits available to gather information.

In the case of Aereo when I clicked on the button to sign up for a free trial of their service in NYC I immediately got a pop up on my screen asking for permission to do a WiFi SSID scan. I was then informed that I wasn't in their service area. If I had declined the scan and/or the scan had been inconclusive they have an alternative verification process.

While Aereo asked for my permission how, hard would it be for someone to rewrite the application and delete the on screen request? As far as I know they use the WiFi radios in your router to scan therefore if Dish or anyone else wanted to know your location it would not matter if your receiver was connected using WiFi. It also could probably be done using the WiFi adapter in a PC. However they do it works.

If you want to see a demonstration of the technology try signing up for Aereo in either NYC or Boston.

I know that negotiations ended a week ago but I was just speculating if Dish were to have gotten Sprint plus Sprint gave Dish time to make its final bid and the shareholders still have to vote on it. Sprint may not work at all locations but in time there could be other technologies to expand coverage, could be roaming, or they may want to have the chips in the receivers for those that want bundlings and they could transmit data to the cell tower on location at that point. They could put a chip in the receiver and work a deal with all the cell providers just to transmit location info.

It's going to be a lot cheaper to maintain this audit department than to add hardware to every new receiver they build.
Not really. The SoC's they will be using could easily have the capability embedded, and they would access it thru SW.

Of course, that doesn't help with the existing 10's of millions of older units out there.

It occurred to me that they could, but I really doubt it. A cellular radio ? This isn't like having a QAM tuner already built-in (I'll bet the chipsets in Dish receivers have them) or BT and simply not enabling them....

I also thought about all of their existing receivers - that's why I said "every new receiver". The people who want to account stack can simply use older receivers to get around this too.

Dish will probably not Audit you if you have 2 DVR's. Or 2 hoppers. but if you make that to 3 hoppers, you will surely get a call to validate identity of receivers in the same location.

They never audited me when I had four VIP722s. I had them all connected by Cat5 and phone line too. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. But, several years ago, I worked on my telephone lines so I shut down the phone system at the outside interface for several hours. Would you believe Dish caught the DVRs not connected to a phone line! There was the $5.00 phone line charge on my next bill even though all the receivers were still connected to the internet! I called and explained what happened and while I was on the phone they put me on hold and did another test. They credited next months bill.

They never audited me when I had four VIP722s. I had them all connected by Cat5 and phone line too. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. But, several years ago, I worked on my telephone lines so I shut down the phone system at the outside interface for several hours. Would you believe Dish caught the DVRs not connected to a phone line! There was the $5.00 phone line charge on my next bill even though all the receivers were still connected to the internet! I called and explained what happened and while I was on the phone they put me on hold and did another test. They credited next months bill.
I never had the $5 charge when my receivers weren't connected. I've also had two different 722's connected to two different external IP addresses, and never got a phone call from the Dishwaffen.

I never had the $5 charge when my receivers weren't connected. I've also had two different 722's connected to two different external IP addresses, and never got a phone call from the Dishwaffen.

I guess Dish was doing a random hunt when they noticed my DVRs were not connected to the phone line. No telling.

That extra $5 fee for no phone connection when that existed a while back was automated by the computer.

The chip could be one that they would have already planned on putting in them for service enhancements and additions in the future that could happen to be used for their auto audits as well. They could also have them send signals to each other instead to confirm that they are close enough to one another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts