Dish Price Increase as of 2/1/04???

DDRio

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
At the other forum, people are currently discussing a price increase as of 2/1/2004. People who have called Dish's CSR said that AT150 will go up $2 to $44.99. And... at this point is speculation but one poster claims that AEP will go up $3 along with a name change of the basic packages to AT60/120/180.

I wonder if all of this is entirely correct.

Here is the rumor:

AT50 changing name to AT60
No Price increase.
Package already had 59 channels not counting brackers, alternate sports of shopping channels

AT100 changing name to AT120
Price increase of $1 a month
Package already has 125 channels not counting brackers, alternate sports of shopping channels

AT150 changing name to AT180
Price increase of $2 a month
Package already has over 180 channels not counting brackers, alternate sports of shopping channels.

America's Everything Pack
price increase of $3 a month

Dish Latino and Dish Latino Dos
Price increase of $3 a month.

Dish Latino Max
Price increase of $2 a month.

NONE of these have been officially announce yet, however the AT150/180 package change has been posted by three users now all of which claim the CSR informed them of the price change.

See ya
Tony

I'll stick with AT50, which I for pay yearly in January. I just got the notice of price increase that went into effect in February 2003. I guess I won't have to pay for the February 2005 increase until January 2006.

I get my locals OTA and have been for the last five years. The picture quality is better than the locals that come on Dish. The antenna is a good investment that "keeps on saving me money."

As a professional installer, I just finished installing an OTA antenna for a customer, who had Dish locals. He couldn't believe that OTA can be a lot better than LIL locals.

He was amazed.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The question now is...

WHO IS THE PIG? :)

Though I'm not eligible for Cable service, my local cable co. is Mediacom who went up in price (I believe twice in the last year) on their "extended basic" package to $4?, and when they did, they added several channels that have been available on DirecTV and Dish for years, such as Sci-Fi and Food Network and TV Land. I think they also added DIY, though I could be wrong. We're still paying less than Mediacom with a HECK of a lot more channels. The only thing Mediacom has going for them is local channels (all of which I can't get a decent signal, not to mention the WB! channel which is cable only), but they charge $13.95 for the basic (locals) package. Not to mention, they have (last time I looked) a horrible PQ compared to DirecTV and even Dish.

Though I'm disappointed that Dish might raise their prices, since I'm interested in switching, and disappointed that Rupert and/or Pegasus might decide to follow suit if they see the competition raising prices, I firmly believe that Dish seems to be MUCH less greedy than most cable companies.

~Alan

What!? You mean things have to change!

I wish people would approach things with common sense.

Yes, we're all annoyed with price increases... x
BUT IT WILL ALWAYS HAPPEN!

You can't improve your product unless you are seeing good profit.
That's America, we all live here.

Blame it on Dish, Turner, Charlie, Murdoch, (hell blame it me if it will make you feel better) but the fact remains that death, taxes, and price hikes will happen. Don't act so surprised. Dish is still cheaper than most cable companies and has a long way to go before it becomes the evil dark lord evil of satellite TV.

I Love this site. 8)

Regardless, it's still funny that they're running the PIG ad campaign and then they raise their rates.

They have real problems with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I confirmed my AEP w/ Locals is going up $3 to $82.99. This is still cheaper than D* Total Choice Premier w/ Locals @ $87.99 or C* Digital Platinum @ $93.99 + TAX in my area.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The question now is...

WHO IS THE PIG? :)

Is this price increase from E* the big suprise from Charlie on the next chat Scott :) ? Scott since you have good contacts at E*, can you confirm weather this rumor is true? For the record, cable is still the bigger PIG, even if this rumor is true which it may be, AT50 or 60 will still be $24.99/mo for at least another year so no increase for E* most basic AT package and the $1 increase for AT100 or 120 and the $2 increase for AT150 or 180 are less then most cable systems. Comcast Chattanooga here is rasing their price for Preferred Basic (65 analog channels) is going from $40.99/mo to $43.75/mo starting on 2/1 and since Digital Plus is additional $14.95 on top of Preferred, all Comcast Subs except those with just limited Basic are getting a $2.76/mo price increase, so here Comcast is still the bigger pig. :)

tdigden said:
I confirmed my AEP w/ Locals is going up $3 to $82.99. This is still cheaper than D* Total Choice Premier w/ Locals @ $87.99 or C* Digital Platinum @ $93.99 + TAX in my area.

Yes thats true but to make it a fair comparison with D* TCP you would need to add the Multi-Sport package to the E* AEP, which makes it $88.98, 99 cents more then D*TCP currently, however I suspect their will be an increase at D* soon too. :(

I checked my bill online and it said:

DIGITAL HOME PLAN WITH AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK, 89.99
2 RCVRS, LOCALS 0.00

ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 4.99
CBS HIGH DEFINITION EAST 0.00
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99
DISH NETWORK HD RECEIVER 149.00
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/20-01/14 4.18

Looks like they already went up. They also are charging me for the 6000 I had deactivated...I only have 3 receivers activated.

They were also supposed to waive the HD package fee for 6 months because of the first 811 no-show. Looks like I need to call them.

Directv followed Dish 's price increase last year with the same amount like in March. One does it the other follows.

It's like a gas war with all the local gas stations on the same street keeping the same prices so they can compete. If one does it the others will follow , of course the flip side is if one goes down then the others will have to do the same to compete or they will loose business.

Maybe Rupert will do something entirely different this time and not do an increase which would make Dish have to cave on these suppossed price increases. I would hope the additional dvr fees is what Rupert will do away with , which will cause Charlie to have to rethink all these dvr fees.

StevenD said:
I checked my bill online and it said:

DIGITAL HOME PLAN WITH AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK, 89.99
2 RCVRS, LOCALS 0.00

CBS HIGH DEFINITION EAST 0.00
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99
DISH NETWORK HD RECEIVER 149.00
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/20-01/14 4.18

Looks like they already went up. They also are charging me for the 6000 I had deactivated...I only have 3 receivers activated.

They were also supposed to waive the HD package fee for 6 months because of the first 811 no-show. Looks like I need to call them.

Actually, your new bill probably covers 1/15-2/14. That would be why there would be a partial charge for 12/20-1/14. That's the prorated amount for what would have been billed on the previous statement. I only see 2 additional outlet fees.
'

As far as the rate increase goes, unless you are on a Digital Home Plan (as Steven is), or Free For All, you could avoid the price increase for another year by pre-paying for an annual package. It would lock in the current rate and save approx 1 mo of programming cost.

The pig ads point out that cable went up an average of 8%. This increase is at the MOST just over 5%. For customers with local channels, it either didn't go up at all, or went up only approx. 2.5%.

There will always be price increases REGARDLESS of the TV service provider. It costs more to do business each year, and they must remain profitable.

I received my 811 on 12/20, thats why the prorated access fee is there.

I spoke with Dish this morning and in fact, I had 4 receivers on my account. If you will notice, on the DHP plan, it says "2 RCVRS", and then I was being charged 2 more additional outlet fees. Its corrected now and I also received my credit for the missed install this morning.

Now that im back in town I need to package up my 6000 and get it on eBay before someone realizes they arent worth $500.

Dish could double my rates and still not match the local cable rates here.

My GF's father has local cable with 2 TV's, 'fully digital', and is paying roughly $90/month. :shock: On top of that, he's had 4 price increases this year, including one this last billing statement for his box rental and remote fees. Alot to pay to watch the local morning news (which is why he won't switch).

So, needless to say, I'm not complaining about a couple of bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)