Dish Receiver Died Question before calling Dishnetwork

Catinkansas

Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
Central KS
I have a VIP211K Receiver that will not power up. It is lease equipment that we don't use very often. If I call dish without the protection plan $7/month, how much will it cost to have them replace it? The protection plans indicated it was month to month, but if cancelled before 120 days will cost me a penalty of $25. I'm paying a monthly fee for the reciever, I don't think I should have to pay to replaced, but what I reading makes me think I must sign the protection agreement before calling, otherwise dish might charge for service call.

Any advice?

I recently replaced a leased 622 and I was charged $15 without the plan, I believe it would be free with the protection plan but you would need to keep it for a few months (don't recall how many) or pay the penalty which may be more the the cost without it.

Probably cheaper to not get protection plan. The $15.00 is shipping. Replacement receivers themselves are free. Best to contact DIRT instead of calling. Go to bottom of Forum page, look for logged on members in RED.

Yes you would only pay shipping, however you can ask to have it waived and see what they say. USE DIRT.

Also, just so you understand you are not paying a lease fee. There is no difference in cost between owning a receiver or having one from DISH. So the monthly fee you are paying would be there even if you owned it.

If called for, you can add the plan. Don't worry about it beforehand.

Thanks for the advice. I'll call dish, don't mind paying $15 bucks.

My parents 10 year old receiver could not pick up a signal last fall. Called dish if they would send out a new receiver. It though would power up unlike my current receiver. Dish said they could not send a different receiver until a tech check it out. Ended up being something with the ODU and Dish billed by parents $150 for a service call. If it anything other than the receiver fails, the protection plan probably the way to go.

If you are leasing the 211 DISH actually owns it and they will replace it for a shipping charge which is sometimes waved. If the problem isn't the receiver then the protection plan is the way to go. If you own the receiver and it is beyond the 1 yr. warranty then the Protection Plan is the best route.

If you own the receiver and it is beyond the 1 yr. warranty then the Protection Plan is the best route.
No. Leased or owned, they will replace free...plus shipping without protection plan.

A lot of times,if your a longtime customer in good standing,they will waive the shipping fees.They have been pretty good to us over the years doing that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll call dish, don't mind paying $15 bucks.

My parents 10 year old receiver could not pick up a signal last fall. Called dish if they would send out a new receiver. It though would power up unlike my current receiver. Dish said they could not send a different receiver until a tech check it out. Ended up being something with the ODU and Dish billed by parents $150 for a service call. If it anything other than the receiver fails, the protection plan probably the way to go.

You sure about that $150? Tech visit fees from Dish are $95 without the protection plan and $15 (or zero for some customers) with the protection plan. That said, something known as "custom work" kicks in for things like relocating the dish antenna, relocating a receiver, or relocating a television.

Also, in regard to replacing a receiver versus having a tech out, they can replace a receiver for an obvious flaw with the receiver, like where it's dead and will not power on, or keeps rebooting, or hard drive failure. Most other reasons can't be 100% sure to be the receiver, so that needs a tech.

As others have said, if you have to just replace the receiver, and it's leased, there is no cost, other than the shipping fee of $15. Customers with the protection plan do not pay the shipping fee, it is covered. The protection plan is $7/month, and needs to be kept for 120 days in order to cancel without the $25 termination fee on it.

(standard disclaimer, since I can't do a signature any more...grrr....my views are my own, and not those of my employer)

A lot of times,if your a longtime customer in good standing,they will waive the shipping fees.

They did this for me for a dying 612 just last month. BTW Teehar... Why do your posts always have a missing space between sentences?

Hmm, I haven't noticed that thekrell.Only thing I can think of is spellcheck making it appear as two words together, I put a space in to get rid of the underline.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hmm, I haven't noticed that thekrell.Only thing I can think of is spellcheck making it appear as two words together, I put a space in to get rid of the underline.

Maybe you're not looking at the same thing I'm looking at. I've viewing with FF29, and FF does not try to spellcheck anything I can't change, such as your posts. In your quote above, there are now (were none before) spaces after your commas, but not after your first period.

No. Leased or owned, they will replace free...plus shipping without protection plan.

NO. that is the way it used to be, but not anymore. please stop giving people false hope.

They wanted ~$85 to replace our failing 722. just another reason there is absolutely NO incentive to own your own equipment anymore.

Maybe you're not looking at the same thing I'm looking at. I've viewing with FF29, and FF does not try to spellcheck anything I can't change, such as your posts. In your quote above, there are now (were none before) spaces after your commas, but not after your first period.

Perhaps I'm bad to hit the space bar too much?:D I see what your referring to,I think it mostly happens when I'm on the tablet.I'm all thumbs on that thing.