Dish receiver Swap....... Shenanigans!

Well lets see they make $17.00 to ship a receiver out and they charge $95.00 to send a tech out. Either way they are making money off of the subs.

There should not have been a charge for either. When my dad was forced to have a tech come out (to swap out 2 301's for 311's) there was no charge either way

Oh and I know my dad got like 4 mailed postcards and numerous phone calls about the swap.
What made no sense is his cards said May 31st yet my grandma (his mom who lives like 2 miles from him) her 301 said May 16th was shutoff day. So they must go by R# or something and not location

It could still be location, and they are staggering the location with different customers so they don't bum rush the techs at the end of the month and leave a 30 day waiting period.

Oh and I know my dad got like 4 mailed postcards and numerous phone calls about the swap.
What made no sense is his cards said May 31st yet my grandma (his mom who lives like 2 miles from him) her 301 said May 16th was shutoff day. So they must go by R# or something and not location

Probably sending them in batches so they don't get a ton of calls at the same time.

We set the parents up with our old 301 on the welcome pack + encore.

they have been very happy with it, even with the price increases.
When did Welcome Pack + Encore increase?

Oh, and they are not going to get any credits for these days they are without programming either.
In my experience, Dish will not give you that credit in advance, but if you bug them after your service is restored, you should be able to get a prorated credit for the missing days.

I thought if the receiver was owned, the customer was given the replacement free and clear ? If the old receiver was leased, it's replaced by another leased receiver.
I thought the same thing. Does it still work that way if you opt for the Protection Plan?

I would have to think the receivers that need to be replaced display some kind of nag telling customers they need to be replaced as they do with a card swap???
I would have thought the same thing, but so far there has been no such nag on my purchased 501.

Welcome Pack used to be $14.99, it jumped to 19.99 in Feb 2013.
Yeah, I remember that. Encore also increased from $5 to $6 at that time. The OP made it sound like he just signed up his parents this January, and I didn't think there had been any price increase on those packages since then.

The OP didn't say when he set up his parents, only that he canceled his own account this January.

The OP didn't say when he set up his parents, only that he canceled his own account this January.
I must have mis-read it then. I assumed that his old receiver wouldn't have been available to re-use until after he canceled his account, but I guess he could have stopped using that receiver before then.

Sometimes you have to lose money in one department to make it in another.

Believe me, Dish is making money by charging $17 for a shipment. We never paid base rates for UPS or LTL truck shipments, but we always charged our customers base rate for shipments.

I'm guessing no one believes or trusts most anything you say or think around here anymore...

Claude is right. I was a Warehouse Manager for 22 years for a small manufacturer ($3 million/yr sales). We were getting a 25% discount from UPS for standard shipments and a 40% discount for Hundredweight shipments. I'm sure a corporation the size of Dish is probably getting 40% - 60% discounts from FedEx.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Believe me, Dish is making money by charging $17 for a shipment. We never paid base rates for UPS or LTL truck shipments, but we always charged our customers base rate for shipments.

And what about the cost of the cardboard boxes and the labor and facilities to handle the boxes coming and going and on and on...

IMHO shipping and handling a satellite receiver or two for $17 is a bargain, no matter how much you hate Dish. :biggrin

And what about the cost of the cardboard boxes and the labor and facilities to handle the boxes coming and going and on and on...
Having done my fair share of shipping various eBay sold items, $17.00 is one of the most reasonable shipping cost points you are likely to ever encounter.

Reactions: navychop

Set the parents up about ~3 years ago.

As members here, we were aware of the swap and notified the parents to be one the lookout for the notice.

They never received one.

And for those with the snarky comments- there are some people in this world that do not own computers or use the internet.

This was a chitty move on dish's part. Didn't want to swap the receiver until it was absolutely necessary, but obviously dn had other plans.

I don't see the need to be offended. We haven't really seen posts like this about the swap.

Obviously, something went sideways about the notification. System issue with owned receivers, notice lost by USPS, whatever - you'll never know. I've been through similar projects, with the best of intentions, effort made to attend to every detail, and things still slip through. Not saying Dish was as thorough as they should have been, but doubt the plan was ot piss off customers.

The shipping thing just seems wrong. Experience here would suggest it's a bad CSR, not policy.

Should these things impact your opinion of the company - sure. Is it enough to dump them - only you and your parents can say.

As for the leased vs purchased issue, I'm with Dish on that. Any tech purchase should be assumed it will become obsolete.

Reactions: ChadT41 and KAB
As for the leased vs purchased issue, I'm with Dish on that. Any tech purchase should be assumed it will become obsolete.
The thing about that is: Dish went so many years giving "purchased" receivers as replacements for purchased receivers with the Protection Plan, that we have come to expect the replacement receivers to be considered "purchased," especially when it is Dish that is forcing us to replace receivers that otherwise still function perfectly.

Reactions: TheKrell and Hall
The thing about that is: Dish went so many years giving "purchased" receivers as replacements for purchased receivers with the Protection Plan, that we have come to expect the replacement receivers to be considered "purchased," especially when it is Dish that is forcing us to replace receivers that otherwise still function perfectly.
OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts