Dish receiver Swap....... Shenanigans!

I don't see the need to be offended. We haven't really seen posts like this about the swap.

Obviously, something went sideways about the notification. System issue with owned receivers, notice lost by USPS, whatever - you'll never know. I've been through similar projects, with the best of intentions, effort made to attend to every detail, and things still slip through. Not saying Dish was as thorough as they should have been, but doubt the plan was ot piss off customers.

The shipping thing just seems wrong. Experience here would suggest it's a bad CSR, not policy.

Should these things impact your opinion of the company - sure. Is it enough to dump them - only you and your parents can say.

As for the leased vs purchased issue, I'm with Dish on that. Any tech purchase should be assumed it will become obsolete.

agreed. the notification could have gotten lost in the mail, but they are still paying for these days they are without. is it too much to expect a call to the customer before just cutting off their programming? does DN really rely on the mail to that extent? their bill always arrives and did not include a notice.

we dumped them already, parents are on the fence now. the lease is no surprise, but would not have been an issue if they were properly notified.

For the mandatory legacy swap out, the receivers will be leased.

No commitment, and should have no shipping fees, and I'm sure even waived tech visits for this one, but the receiver would be accounted for as leased... Even with the protection plan.

The thing about that is: Dish went so many years giving "purchased" receivers as replacements for purchased receivers with the Protection Plan, that we have come to expect the replacement receivers to be considered "purchased," especially when it is Dish that is forcing us to replace receivers that otherwise still function perfectly.

As far as replacing a perfectly functional receiver... It is not perfectly functional as it will no longer be accepted since it only does qpsk. Perfectly functional would be able to manage 8psk. If you mean that the receiver will still be able to operate mechanically, that would be another argument, but my old brick cell phone still works, but I cannot use it on Verizon because it doesn't meet their minimum criteria. Basically, after years of use, you can keep and use your legacy receiver for whatever you desire... Just won't be receiving Dish channels from it.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Thanks for clarifying. I was not away of the difference in legacy situation.
I think a lot of folks are confused by this. If t was just a normal RA, it would be owned for owned. For the legacy swap, it is owned for leased. 2 other difference are the regular RA O4O compared to the legacy swap out O4L, the RA has to return the receiver when new one comes, whereas the legacy swap out does not require the legacy receiver to be returned.

Went to install replacement receiver today.

They sent just the receiver- nothing else. On another note, it was a 311k, but the receiver was a dual tuner with the tv2 connection ports blocked out, and tuner2 was inaccessible in the menus. Had never seen this before.

There was an issue after the software update since it said both remotes were set to the same address. Tech on the line was 0 help. Luckily was able to remember the key combination to change the IR address. Tech on the line did not believe it was showing a UHF remote, and the unit was a dual tuner. No surprise.

Either way, they are up and running. Parents would have never been able to handle that on their own. Hopefully there will be no issues with billing.

It was probably a 311 that was built like a 322 with only one tuner. Or it had previously been a 322 and one tuner was removed, and rebadged as a 311.

We cancelled dish in January after ~10 years. We were skeptical at first, but are very happy we did.

We had a 722 and a 211k (still do) that worked flawlessly. We set the parents up with our old 301 on the welcome pack + encore.

they have been very happy with it, even with the price increases. however, this past monday, mom and dad were watching tv and most of their channels went out. they did the usual power reset and such, but nothing worked.

since we were unavailable, dad called DN to find out what was going on. the lady told him his receiver is no longer supported, and they would have to send him a new one. She then asked for a CC to charge them $17 to send the new one out, and explained him that this new one will be leased and if they ever cancel, they will have to send it back.

had we been available, we simply would have added the 211k to their account (which was the plan), but we were also waiting for them to get a notice from dish about the receiver.

WTF is dish thinking?? NO notice, cuts their programming, and then charges them to send out the equipment needed to restore their programming. Oh, and they are not going to get any credits for these days they are without programming either.

Parents are conflicted about staying with them now.

Don't know what has happened. Dish used to be solid.
Is this the way Dish is going to get their already established customers with them is by saying their older equipment is no longer supported, and you have to upgrade to the Hopper/Joey. While it is more technologically advanced, it is also more costly. I am thinking it is about 6.00 to 10.00 more with the Hopper/Joey/Super Joey.

Is this the way Dish is going to get their already established customers with them is by saying their older equipment is no longer supported, and you have to upgrade to the Hopper/Joey.
In a word...NO. This only applies to old legacy receivers no longer tecnically supported....as discussed.

It was probably a 311 that was built like a 322 with only one tuner. Or it had previously been a 322 and one tuner was removed, and rebadged as a 311.

That is what was strange. It still had both tuners, and even showed the error for tuner2 after running the check switch. The software did not include any of the options for tv2.

clearly it is a neutered 322.

Reactions: Mr Tony
That is what was strange. It still had both tuners, and even showed the error for tuner2 after running the check switch. The software did not include any of the options for tv2.

clearly it is a neutered 322.
A 311k is a neutered 322. Just like a 512 is a neutered 522. They disable the output for the second tuner, making it a solo receiver... I have a feeling the 211 is about to gain one more family member... Maybe something like a 211N... The neutered 222.

Reactions: TheKrell
A 311k is a neutered 322. Just like a 512 is a neutered 522. They disable the output for the second tuner, making it a solo receiver... I have a feeling the 211 is about to gain one more family member... Maybe something like a 211N... The neutered 222.

all the 311 receivers we have worked with only had one SAT connection and no TV2 output connections. guess the "k" makes all this difference since these are listed as remanufactured.

you are probably spot on about the 211n..... lol

Now, who did you get that idea from? (wink, wink)