dish reciever 311, 118/119 lnb and sw21 switch

madhat

Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
here & there
Hi,

I have a subscription to Welcome pkg and Internationals using a 311 reciever. I have 2 dishes -
33 inch dish with a dual lnb getting 118/119 and a 18 inch dish getting me 110.

I don't think the lnb's are Dish pro or anything. Seems to be the regular type. I am using a sw21 switch to connect the 2 cables from the 2 dishes and then to the reciever.

My problem here is that - The receiver recognises 118 and 110 and I get all the sub channels for that. But does not recognise 119. It says wrong sat in the installation area and also the check switch shows 118 -odd and 118 even then 110- odd and 110-even. Most or all of the Welcome pkg channels are in the 119.

Anybody know what the problem is here.

thanks

Is it a dishnetwork dish or some other dish?If there is no internal switches on the lnbs on the 33" dish then a sw21 isn't going to work.A picture would help tremendously.

it is not a dishnetwork dish. It is a generic brand dish and a generic lnb like CB2008a.
let me know if you need any other info. Thanks for the reply

it is not a dishnetwork dish. It is a generic brand dish and a generic lnb like CB2008a.
let me know if you need any other info. Thanks for the reply

You will need a different switch.I'm going on the assumption that those are legacy lnbs (ie not dish pro or dish pro plus) in that case you need an sw31 switch.It allows for 3 different sat inputs with one output.

here is an example..

Last edited:
thanks for the reply Teehar.

yes i don't think they are dish pro or dishproplus lnb's. the CB2008a lnb gives me 2 sats i.e 118 and 119 in just one lnb. So you say that if i remove the sw21 and add sw31 I should be ok here? I was really confused on what was wrong here. thanks for the clarification.

Ahh see I learned something with your last post.So the lnb does have a switch built into it.It would have to in order to pick up 2 orbital locations.Now the dish your picking up 110 with is it a dish pro lnb?Hold off on the sw31 switch for now.

The 119W LNB must have its own output. Connect that instead of the 118W output.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a Dish 500 laying around.

i think the the 110 lnb is not a dishpro lnb. and it is on a separate 18 inch dish.

and checked the 118/119 lnb - it says GT-SCIR40 would you think it has a switch in it?

Those aftermarket LNB's that were mainly used to steal Dish Network (via a free to air receiver) at the time will not work on a Dish system. The way they were set up a DIsh Network reciever cannot figure out the frequencies for 119

You will need the Dish Network 118.7/119 stock LNB

It shouldn't be that hard to find a Dish 500 laying around.
I have a feeling that the customer's location a D500 wont work real well ;)

I have a feeling that the customer's location a D500 wont work real well ;)
If an 18" dish is working for 110W, Why wouldn't a Dish 500 work under the same circumstances?

I realize the atmosphere here seems to draw illegals like flys on road kill, but I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

@harshness - there is only one out in the 118/119 lnb. and the switch recognises only118 from the 118/119 lnb.

@iceberg - what kind of lnb should i buy. can you send me a link as an example please. thanks.

@harshness - there is only one out in the 118/119 lnb. and the switch recognises only118 from the 118/119 lnb.
correct. Technically you would need 2 outputs but the non-stock Dish LNB would confuse the Dish receiver

@iceberg - what kind of lnb should i buy. can you send me a link as an example please. thanks.

it needs to be something like this (the left LNB there is the 118.7/119 LNB and has 2 outputs)
Dish Network Dish 500 plus + lnb 118.7,119,110 & 34 sw | eBay

You would use either a DP21 or a DP34 to combine the LNB's together. You could put that 110 LNB on the other dish

Good catch iceberg I thought it sounded like an odd setup.So assuming that the op is stateside then he needs a dish 500+?

He could use a Dish 500+ if the coverage is sufficient for him

Otherwise he has a couple options
-try and rig that 118.7/119 Dish LNB on the 33" dish. It might be possible but I havent tried it
-If most of the channels on the Welcome Pack are on 119, he could try to see if 119 will work wherever he is

If not, he may need to maybe upgrade that 18" dish to a larger dish for 119 and go with 2 dishes. The existing LNB for 118 would work for 118 and then the 2nd dish for 119

thanks iceberg. will try the lnb and see if it works. already started the sub a month back and still haven't figured this one out. I only wanted internationals but they don't want to give only that. they want me sub to americans too. this pkg for 15$ was not too much so it was ok. I bought my own reciever and was good to go untill i bumped into this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts