Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH releases Hopper Duo Smart DVR; new DVR tailored to one- and two-TV households
Dual-tuner HD receiver with Hopper user interface and voice technology compatibility; Netflix coming soon
Latest addition to award-winning line of Hopper products

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 22, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH today released Hopper Duo, its dual-tuner HD set-top solution for one- and two-TV households. Hopper Duo packages the most essential features of DISH's award-winning Hopper 3 for customers with smaller-scale entertainment setups.

"The average US home has about two TVs connected to a pay-TV service," said Niraj Desai vice DISH vice president of product management. "Hopper Duo is a feature-rich, high-value product for households that want DVR capacity for only one or two screens."

• DISH_Network_Duo_Lockup.jpg

DISH Network Duo Lockup
  • DISH_Network_Hopper_Duo.jpg

The Wi-Fi-capable Hopper Duo includes the modern Hopper user interface with HD graphics and easy content discovery; a 500 GB hard drive for up to 125 hours of HD DVR recording; compatibility with Amazon Alexa voice control; universal search; Bluetooth audio support via adapter; Picture-in-Picture viewing; Remote Finder; and apps like Game Finder, Pandora and DISH On-Demand, with Netflix coming soon. Hopper Duo ships with DISH's new voice remote.

Hopper Duo supports a second HDTV when paired with a Joey (Joey, 4K Joey or Wireless Joey). With two tuners, Hopper Duo customers can watch or record two live programs simultaneously. If a customer is recording two live shows, they can still watch previously recorded titles from their DVR or anything from the OnDemand catalog.

Beginning today, qualified new and existing customers can receive a Hopper Duo at no upfront cost. The Hopper Duo system requires a whole-home DVR fee of $10 per month, with an additional $7 per month required for an added Joey.

*Note: The average number of pay-TV set-top boxes per household in the United States is 1.7, according to a recent study by Leichtman Research Group.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's geared towards one- and two- TV households. A one- or two- TV household could easily exceed two tuners. If you have two TVs and both are watching live TV, you can't record anything at the same time. That would be a very unpleasant surprise for a new customer that didn't know that. I'm a one-TV household and I regularly exceeded two tuners. It's the default and only option on DISH's website if you select one or two TVs. You can't select any other option without calling.

It's geared towards one- and two- TV households. A one- or two- TV household could easily exceed two tuners. If you have two TVs and both are watching live TV, you can't record anything at the same time. That would be a very unpleasant surprise for a new customer that didn't know that. I'm a one-TV household and I regularly exceeded two tuners. It's the default and only option on DISH's website if you select one or two TVs. You can't select any other option without calling.

It’s meant as a 722k replacement

Yes they allow multiple Hopper Duos. That’s not the point. The duo is a 722k replacement. It doesn’t mean rules aren’t changed. Otherwise no one would have 2 H3’s.

According to the correspondence thus far, multiple Hopper Duo's on the same account are not currently allowed.

Can you have 2 722K on an account? Can you have more than 1 Hopper Duo on an account?
Post #5 in this thread. It’s been stated in other threads as well.

VIP Receiver Retirement
VIP Receiver Retirement
Post number 5 in the linked thread (not this thread) was my post, and I was mistaken. Any subscriber who needs more than two TV's connected would be pushed towards a regular Hopper system. Two Hopper Duos are not allowed on a residential account, although that may be allowed on commercial accounts.

I wonder why go to the extra expense of building and supporting this? I think the H1 or HWS would be a great choice for VIP replacement. Dish has to have plenty of these older Hoppers and going from 2 tuners on a VIP to three would be a nice little bonus. Of course if it was me I’d still get a hopper 3 even for one tv.

Reactions: bwexler
Who knows what the cost wold be for 2 Duos even if they were allowed...would probably be better to just get a Hopper3 at that point.

Here's what I would have done if I was Charlie.

Only one current/new model in production, the H3.

1-2 TV households get 3 tuners activated on the H3 for a $10 DVR fee.
All others have access to all 16 tuners for the full $15 DVR fee.

It still wouldn't convince me to let go of my 722.

The day the HDuo became available I started playing around on the dish site and for someone with the low tier credit option that wants more than 2 TVs it came up with more than 1 HDuo. But since that was day 1 it could have been a fluke.

If you need more than two tuners, and if you can get good OTA reception, you can add the dual-tuner OTA adapter and have a total of four tuners. (2 sat + 2 ota)

I think one of the problems here is that Dish has too many receivers and not all of them are going to fit every situation to make everybody happy. IMO, they should have the Wally as the only Non-OEM DVR. Adding an EHD is a perfect solution for people who record and want to save some things but don't want the extra monthly cost for DVR and Equipment.

Hopper Duo for 2 tuner/2 TV needs.

If people sense recording conflicts on a Duo, then a Hopper 3

Hopper 2/Sling should only be for people who are budgeting, rarely record but want to avoid conflicts in a 2 room situation (and they should have that choice) and people with bad credit/pay as you go.

I think it's silly to stick someone with a TV that can only be viewed in SD.

Quite frankly, technology moves forward, not backward and I know that people who are attached to their VIP's won't be happy, but hey, I got upset when I couldn't sit in the engine compartment of my truck and change the plugs, points, wires and oil at the same time anymore.

Same with Joeys. Joey 1's (and Hopper 1's) should be obsolete, Joey 2's on their way out and Wifi, Joey 3 and 4K the only Joey options

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)