Dish Remote Access/Dishonline problems with latest firefox

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
I have been using Firefox with Dish Remote Access and Dishonline for months without difficulty. However, lately I have not been able to use either Dish Remote Access or Dishonline with Firefox (I think the problem started with the latest Firefox updates, but I am not certain). Using Firefox, I can see the Guide and I can see what is on my DVR, but when I try to watch anything, the video will not start. Sometimes, after waiting several minutes the video starts, but does not play smoothly. I am using my home network (not viewing over the internet) to sling the videos.

When I use IE9, both Dish Remote Access and Dishonline work correctly. No problems at all.

Has anyone else seen this problem with Firefox? Is Firefox v13.0.1 working for anyone else?

had you already disabled all your potentially interfering add-on/plugins? e.g., noscript, adblock plus, ghostery, &c.? possibly 13.0.1 has something like these natively that you might need to disable for the dishonline sessions...

I've given up on the whole Sling thing with DISH. It has NEVER worked as it is supposed to. I followed their instructions to a T and bought their recommended router , upped my speed to 20 mpbs and uploads of over 2 mpbs. I had the 922 with built in sling, never worked right and the pq was God awful. Have the sling adapter on my 722k , then my new hopper , works very little to nothing at all. I bought a sling pro hd box (with 2 year warrenty -YES!) and it worked for a couple of months and then the box died. Replaced again with another one and readded the warrenty with Bestbuy and it lasted one month and then died. This time I gave up and traded it back in for a new a/v receiver I needed . I'm through trying to get the sling thing to work on dishonline or dishremote access. It simple doesn't work right.:mad:

skyviewmark, thanks for letting me know that Firefox works OK with your system. At least now I know that the latest version of Firefox is compatible with DRA/Dishonline.

d3fect, I have very few plug-ins, and there does not appear to be any new ones that would cause this problem.

I can't figure out what is wrong. Both my desktop (Windows 7) and laptop (Windows XP) have the same problem. DRA/Dishonline works fine with IE but not with Firefox. (Previously Firefox had been working fine for months on both systems). I tried removing the sling plug-in and reinstalling it. but the problem remains.

Before I used to use Firefox for dishonline.com live tv access. When it started to give me problems (3-4 weeks ago) I switched to Chrome. It works perfectly (Google Chrome).

Working fine for me, but it does take a lot longer to start streaming than it used to.

On a different and possibly related note, the latest Firefox version did break the ability to launch remotely via logmein (something I do weekly for work). Had to switch to IE for that.

Ok, call this silly and unlikely, but I rarely get the Dishonline to work at home. Take the same laptop to work and it works like a champ. I know I don't get it.

And the connection at work is slower than at home.

Last edited:
I deleted the following cookies: dish.com, dish.sling.com, dish34.sling.com, and dishonline.com and it did not help. When I tried to watch live TV, after I selected a channel I got the "retrieving program information..." message, then Firefox just sat there. I waited for 7 minutes and nothing happened.

Then, I tried minimizing Firefox and immediately restored it to full screen. All of a sudden, DRA was working fine. I have tried this a few times now, and this behavior is consistent. The first time that I access DRA, Firefox hangs up on "retrieving program information...", however, if I minimize and immediately restore to full screen, Firefox works OK. I have no idea what is happening here, but it appears that this may be a workaround for me.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

Edit: When Firefox was sitting there hung up on "retrieving program information...", I tried hitting the browser refresh icon, but that did not help. However, when I minimize and immediately restore to full screen, Firefox instantly displays "Connected..." and the video starts to stream OK. This is weird.

Last edited:
When Firefox was sitting there hung up on "retrieving program information...", I tried hitting the browser refresh icon, but that did not help. However, when I minimize and immediately restore to full screen, Firefox instantly displays "Connected..." and the video starts to stream OK. This is weird.

I had a similar issue with an embedded Windows Media Player on a site, it sounds like this is similar. Opening a new tab would allow everything to start. I also had a problem with Dish online on all browsers a while back. The cure? Changed anti-virus software.

I had a similar issue with an embedded Windows Media Player on a site, it sounds like this is similar. Opening a new tab would allow everything to start. I also had a problem with Dish online on all browsers a while back. The cure? Changed anti-virus software.

Which anti virus software were you using and which one did you change to?

Which anti virus software were you using and which one did you change to?

It was the freebie provided with Time Warner Cable internet service. They changed to McAfee and so did I. The ironic thing about this issue was that most everything played OK from Dish Online EXCEPT anything that was sourced by Epix. That's probably 2/3 of the material available. Once McAfee was up and running, Epix content now plays fine too.

It was the freebie provided with Time Warner Cable internet service. They changed to McAfee and so did I. The ironic thing about this issue was that most everything played OK from Dish Online EXCEPT anything that was sourced by Epix. That's probably 2/3 of the material available. Once McAfee was up and running, Epix content now plays fine too.

I use free Avira anti-virus software. I also use mozilla fire fox. I wonder if I changed to McAfee if it would make a difference? I might just try it and see. I could always change back if no difference .

I use free Avira anti-virus software. I also use mozilla fire fox. I wonder if I changed to McAfee if it would make a difference? I might just try it and see. I could always change back if no difference .

My advantage now is that the McAfee is still free, with my internet service.

Rolled back firefox from 14 to 13.01,didn't like the icon change.Anyway with 13.01 dishonline is working fine.Did have a hiccup on the 722 sling.Turns out there was a new slingplayer plugin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)