Dish Remote Access / Sling

mickown

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
michigan
Sorry if this has been covered before, but can someone tell me what the differences are between Dish Remote Access and Sling? You can watch your DVR remotely with both, yes? Just wondering. . . . Thanx

You can program AND view IF you have a Slingbox via Dish Remote Access or Sling. NO Slingbox---you can program, until you get a 922.
Hope this helps.

Ed

You can program AND view IF you have a Slingbox via Dish Remote Access or Sling. NO Slingbox---you can program, until you get a 922.
Hope this helps.

Ed
Thanx for the response. On their website, if you click on Dish Remote Access it says that you can view and program. If you click on Sling it says the same functions, but it seems to require extra equipment and has HD capabilities. Is that the only differences?

Yes after you login at Dish Networks website it takes you to the dish.sling.com website. They are one in the same.
OH!!! Thanks so much. It is strange that on their page they have a drop down menu with sling and Dish Remote access as two different categories. The remote access led me to believe I could just hook up my VIP722 and use the feature, but I guess I would need a separate slingbox then?

Oh now on second glance it does say a slingbox is needed, it is just in a light gray font and not bold like the others. I think I got it now, I am a little slow before noon.

With remote access you can program and play things from the DVR.

With the slingbox you can watch the TV and change channels using the IR blaster that comes with the slingbox.

With remote access you can change channels, but you still have to wake up the unit with the slingbox IR blasters - so the changing channel function of the remote access is pointless.

Does anyone know if you could program the DVR with the IR blaster of the slingbox? It would probably tedious because of the response time; but if so, more responsive DVR programming is all the remote access adds if you have a slingbox.

I pray that they add the ability for the remote access to wake up the unit, it would be great because I use the IR blaster for a different receiver.

YES, you can program your DVR to record or anything else you would do with your Dish remote at home with a Slingbox. There is a bit of a delay but after you get used to it it's no biggie.

Ed

BTW, I'm sure you can't view your programming, recorded or live, via remote access unless you have a Slingbox hooked up to your receiver---unless you have a 922. Correct me if I'm wrong???

Yes, that's what I did for years. I still do it because it's quicker than fumbling around all the junk on dish.sling.com

Yes after you login at Dish Networks website it takes you to the dish.sling.com website. They are one in the same.
Basically they are the same, but they are not two different methods to the exact data you've setup. If you setup filters on one of the methods, they will not show up on the other method.

I don't think it's related to cookies, since I seem to recall seeing the same filters across different computers. But for all intents and purposes, they are basically the same. It would be good to note the difference if you try logging into one that you haven't setup filters/likes/dislikes so you view what you want when searching.

Dish Remote Access

From reading this thread, it seems that Dish Remote Access does not really provide value even though Dish Remote Access is free. Neither does a sling box which costs.

Why would I even what to bother?

From reading this thread, it seems that Dish Remote Access does not really provide value even though Dish Remote Access is free. Neither does a sling box which costs.

Why would I even what to bother?

Dish remote Access = schedule DVR events when not at home. I think for free that provides a lot of value.

SlingBox = watching / controlling your TV from remote locations. For some that is well worth the $150 a SOLO costs.

Dish remote Access = schedule DVR events when not at home. I think for free that provides a lot of value.

SlingBox = watching / controlling your TV from remote locations. For some that is well worth the $150 a SOLO costs.

Completely agree!:)

Well if it is the same site and your able to watch your DVR programs on your PC then something is wrong with mine. I go to the Sling Guide site and when I click on one of my recorded programs it says to play on TV or delete. There is no option to play on my PC. I have an ITouch and it does the same thing.

Also I am a AT&T customer so I get my Dish bundled with my phone service and I am unable register my Dish on the Dish remote access web site. I called dish and they said because it is through AT&T I can't access use the site. :(

I will check it out.
I almost don't even use the receiver to setup timers anymore, unless it's just a simple one and I don't want to get up to do it.

I do an upcoming movie search about once a week for anything interesting. It's easy to view all the listings. I just hope they keep improving the remote access software to add search features/filters/sorting. And if you are ever out of town and find out about something you don't want to miss, you can easily set it to record and it will be there when you get back.

Also I am a AT&T customer so I get my Dish bundled with my phone service and I am unable register my Dish on the Dish remote access web site. I called dish and they said because it is through AT&T I can't access use the site. :(

I, too, have my service bundled with AT&T services...and am happily using the sling guide. I signed up for it on the sling guide website while it was still in beta... is it no longer able to be done that way?

regardless of how you get there, remote access by itself allows you work with the DVR function of your receiver. It has many features that make it eaiser/better for setting up recordings and managing your storage.

if you add a slingbox, either external, or internal (922), then you can also watch the stuff that is stored on the DVR.

To watch your recorded stuff, it matters not how you get to remote access, but if you have a sling device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)