Dish roof install - winter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I guess I'm part of the 4% too stupid to live...

Mine is mounted to my roof along with an additional tripod that supports my OTA Antenna and a 2m ground plane. No leaks in 10 years. and that includes after a re-roof 2 years ago.

The name of a product that can be used on ANY wet surface and ensure 100% watertight integrity?

Eternabond,

I've installed this stuff under ponded water on a low slope roof with no problems. Sticks to anything and will provide a leak free installation.

Never leave the shop without it. Available at roofing supply houses and many retail outlets.

quoted from the sternabond website.

http://www.eternabond.com/install/wet.htm

Installation on Wet Surfaces or underwater sealing...
EternaBond works best on a clean, dry surface but there are times when a repair needs to be made to something wet, or even under water. EternaBond will not adhere to all materials when wet, especially if that surface is porous, like wood or concrete, but our success on many materials that are not porous, like rubber, metal, sealed concrete as in an in-ground pool, have been very good. We do not warranty the EternaBond in these kind of repairs, but again, our success has been so good, it may be worth the try for you

not trying to be picky here but its stuff like this that is the difference between my liability insurance staying the same or going through the roof.

after many years in the electrical trade and seeing what happens to people when some installation causes a problem i make it a point to use only things that are spec'd for the application.

Well, I guess I'm part of the 4% too stupid to live...

Mine is mounted to my roof along with an additional tripod that supports my OTA Antenna and a 2m ground plane. No leaks in 10 years. and that includes after a re-roof 2 years ago.

The name of a product that can be used on ANY wet surface and ensure 100% watertight integrity?

Eternabond,

I've installed this stuff under ponded water on a low slope roof with no problems. Sticks to anything and will provide a leak free installation.

Never leave the shop without it. Available at roofing supply houses and many retail outlets.
Went to their website..There are several products..Which one do you use? .There so many..Pretty pricey stuff..But I guess you use it only when absolutely necessary....

I would recommend the Roof Seal Plus. It's 90 mil thick and is better for sealing on a granulated surface.

You MUST MUST MUST prime the area first before applying the stuff. Do not soak the area. It does not take much. Apply the tape and then roll it. Apply a good amount of pressure while rolling. It's actually the pressure that activates adhesive in the tape.

We use it all the time on all sorts of roofing materials. It saves alot of time especially when it's raining and we get a call for a leak over bus bars, servers and other sensitive areas.

It is a bit of overkill for the installation of dish's, but I used it on mine. A good quality roofing cement would work just fine in most cases. Roof cement is available in standard size caulk tubes so you don't have to buy a bucket.

Just don't use silicone caulk on the roof. Silicone and asphalt do not mix.

quoted from the sternabond website.

http://www.eternabond.com/install/wet.htm

not trying to be picky here but its stuff like this that is the difference between my liability insurance staying the same or going through the roof.

after many years in the electrical trade and seeing what happens to people when some installation causes a problem i make it a point to use only things that are spec'd for the application.
I read the same info on this product
I'll stick with my procedure..They can wait til it stops raining..I am not taking the risk of getting hammered by a roof leak claim..
If one wishes to take the chance that everything will be ok, that's fine..

I would recommend the Roof Seal Plus. It's 90 mil thick and is better for sealing on a granulated surface.

You MUST MUST MUST prime the area first before applying the stuff. Do not soak the area. It does not take much. Apply the tape and then roll it. Apply a good amount of pressure while rolling. It's actually the pressure that activates adhesive in the tape.

We use it all the time on all sorts of roofing materials. It saves alot of time especially when it's raining and we get a call for a leak over bus bars, servers and other sensitive areas.

It is a bit of overkill for the installation of dish's, but I used it on mine. A good quality roofing cement would work just fine in most cases. Roof cement is available in standard size caulk tubes so you don't have to buy a bucket.

Just don't use silicone caulk on the roof. Silicone and asphalt do not mix.
All I have ever used are silicone based sealants..9 years..nary a leak..
"Silicone and asphalt do not mix"....Question:..Why would you want them to mix?

Well, I don't pretend to be an expert on installing dishes.

I'm a roofer, Silicone sealants are meant for use on non reactive non pourus surfaces, Aluminum, Vinyl, Pre-finished galvanized, tile, etc.

Silicone when used on asphalt based materials will over time lose it's adhesion and begin to separate from the surface.

In the roofing industry urethane based products ( 1 part or 2 part) are highly recommended to provide a seal. Products such as NP1 and Vulkem are what we carry on our trucks for use on the roof. The Urethane caulk bonds at a molecular level with the surface. Silicone sits on top of the surface.

If you've ever tried to peel a urethane based caulk off a surface as opposed to a slicone caulk you know what I mean.

Just my $.02 worth.

Well, I don't pretend to be an expert on installing dishes.

I'm a roofer, Silicone sealants are meant for use on non reactive non pourus surfaces, Aluminum, Vinyl, Pre-finished galvanized, tile, etc.

Silicone when used on asphalt based materials will over time lose it's adhesion and begin to separate from the surface.

In the roofing industry urethane based products ( 1 part or 2 part) are highly recommended to provide a seal. Products such as NP1 and Vulkem are what we carry on our trucks for use on the roof. The Urethane caulk bonds at a molecular level with the surface. Silicone sits on top of the surface.

If you've ever tried to peel a urethane based caulk off a surface as opposed to a slicone caulk you know what I mean.

Just my $.02 worth.
Ya had me going until you got to the "peeling "part...

Typically if I needed to remove a dish mast from an asphalt shingle roof, it was very difficult to remove the mastfoot if a silicone sealant was used..The sealant will tear the shingle because the silicone bonded to the shingle...Perhaps there are other ingredients in the caulk we use beside silicone that allow the product to bond with the shingles?...

If you live up North, there are things called dish heaters and dish covers. heaters you would purchase from the home service provider also the covers. Aside from that pay extra for a pole mount in the yard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)