Dish satellite dish removal

I wonder if lowering the elevation of the dish would help. Remember, the dish is designed to aim upward into outer space. People using the hack to get a dish to increase wi-fi signal, for example, have to aim the dish so that it looks like it is pointed toward the ground, in order to get it actually aimed outward toward the signal. Of course, that would probably also mean modifying the antenna mount to raise its elevation, so that the antenna itself would not be pointed toward the ground.

As an interesting side note, I always seem to get better OTA signal strength on Sundays, especially during the fall. I just thought of that this morning while I was re-scanning my OTA locals. I can't prove it, but I suspect that OTA stations are allowed to broadcast at a slightly higher strength on Sundays, in order to ensure that as many people as possible can watch NFL games OTA. Of course, the timing could also be just a coincidence with the weather patterns and atmospheric conditions in my area. I am just relaying my experience and pointing out my observations. :)
I thought about that, but I seen some of these attached to Dish Masts with the Dish still on them pointing in all kinds of crazy angles with good reception. I can give it a try, though. I wonder if any of the tower guides would have recommended elevations

Antenna must be pointed at the dish, away from the station in order to get benefit from the reflector otherwise you are asking the antenna to receive from behind which they are designed NOT to do.

Also, the dish must be pointed down more, remember these dishes use a small fraction of the porential round dish reflection unlike BUDs.

I have used my old dish 500 to focus wifi signal on a wireless usb receiver and was able to get a strong signal 75 ft from the house.

Just slipped the usb wifi receiver between the 2 lnb's.
But is WiFi the same as OTA? I got less channels pointing a the reflector, btw

The problem with trying to use a regular TV antenna with a Dish reflector is that the dish has a rather small focal area and the antenna's active elements may not all fall within that focus.

These reflectors are designed for use on high frequency RF signals (UHF and above) not VHF or even the lower UHF channels - moving the antenna slightly inside the focus for satellite reception might widen the focal area enough to show some advantage. Setting it further from the dish might result in lower signal due to the reflected wave being opposite from the incident wave thusly cancelling each other out.

If you recall a very successful (but also very large) UHF reflector Para-Scope antenna was made back in the 1990's by Channel Master but it was about six ft in diameter was one of the highest gain UHF antennas but was so large it was almost impractical to mount (high wind load and relatively heavy).

ParaScope.jpg

I can't prove it, but I suspect that OTA stations are allowed to broadcast at a slightly higher strength on Sundays, in order to ensure that as many people as possible can watch NFL games OTA.
Why would they be allowed higher strength during only one day? If it doesn't cause interference on Sunday, it wouldn't cause interference on other days. Go look at licenses and see if there's a "Sunday" power allotment (nope). If you were being sarcastic, let me know and I'll get my meter calibrated. :biggrin

Of course, the timing could also be just a coincidence with the weather patterns and atmospheric conditions in my area. I am just relaying my experience and pointing out my observations. :)
um, yea.

• Haha
Reactions: pattykay
The problem with trying to use a regular TV antenna with a Dish reflector is that the dish has a rather small focal area and the antenna's active elements may not all fall within that focus.

These reflectors are designed for use on high frequency RF signals (UHF and above) not VHF or even the lower UHF channels - moving the antenna slightly inside the focus for satellite reception might widen the focal area enough to show some advantage. Setting it further from the dish might result in lower signal due to the reflected wave being opposite from the incident wave thusly cancelling each other out.

If you recall a very successful (but also very large) UHF reflector Para-Scope antenna was made back in the 1990's by Channel Master but it was about six ft in diameter was one of the highest gain UHF antennas but was so large it was almost impractical to mount (high wind load and relatively heavy). :)

View attachment 147865
Those antennas go back further then that:):)
There is one still on a bar in my area on a super tall tower. They used it for Lions games that were blacked out back in the day.

Reactions: HipKat
Around here, many years ago, Dish began to rigorously install on eves of roofs or soffits whenever possible. There is even a crazy joint-mast that can allow attachment to the underside of the eve that is not too uncommon around here.

I have left one mast on the eve when we no longer needed a 2nd reflector because I don't want to damage the roof with water intrusion. That 2nd reflector has never and still does not leak. It is water tight just the way it is, and I am not taking the risk of removing it and trying to plug the holes. Further, it is installed in a very inconspicuous place, anyway, so it not an eyesore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts