Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH President and CEO Summarizes Winning Formula: Give Consumers What They Want

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- On the occasion of being named a "Digital Patriot" by the Consumer Electronics Association, Joseph P. Clayton, president and CEO of DISH, today called on innovators to listen to consumers when designing new products and services.

"Over the years, I've adopted a radical business strategy that has often been challenged by many incumbent corporations: give the consumer what he or she wants. That's a winning formula for success that implies embracing change, embracing technology, and most importantly embracing the consumer," said Clayton, who is among the honorees at tonight's ninth annual Digital Patriots Dinner staged by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA).

Earlier this week DISH announced the proposed merger of DISH and Sprint, a combination that would bring together more than 200 MHz of valuable wireless spectrum and two iconic American brands.

"The advantages of combining the two great American brands of DISH and Sprint are clear: one national service that can offer in- and out-of-home wireless voice, video and data at one attractive retail price on one bill. We would have the ability to reach consumers wherever they go with services that are easy to understand, affordable, and available anywhere — from the biggest cities to the far reaches of rural America, where DISH was born," Clayton explained as he outlined the benefits of the proposed merger.

A 40-year veteran of the consumer electronics, telecommunications and satellite communications industries, Clayton is the president and chief executive officer of DISH and serves on the company's board of directors. Prior to joining DISH in 2011, Clayton was chief executive officer of Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. from 2001 through 2004, then Chairman until 2008. Throughout his career, he was instrumental in the discovery and implementation of numerous consumer electronics products including the VCR, DVDs, satellite TV, HDTV and satellite radio. Clayton was a four-year member of the EchoStar Board of Directors and a former Chairman of CEA.

Clayton notes that the American corporate graveyard is crowded with dead companies who failed to accept the basic tenet of giving the consumer what the consumer wants, recalling how the videocassette recorder was opposed by programmers, broadcasters and studios — only to later become a "cash cow" as consumer embraced home video technology.

"High-Definition TV is another example. It was debated and delayed by broadcasters, and then the computer industry, for over a decade. Yet again, those resistant corporations found HDTV to be a huge benefit and attraction for viewers and advertisers. Even satellite-delivered television was fought by broadcasters and cable companies, while today it delivers content to more than 30 million subscribers," Clayton said.

"So why would incumbent broadcasting, cable, and content companies oppose rather than embrace innovation? Why have they forsaken improvements to the consumer experience? Why have they given up on future profit opportunities? It's because innovation upsets the status quo and is very difficult. There is a tremendous amount of innovation, risk, and worry that comes from actually having to deliver better products. It's really hard work! It's much easier to call the other guy's stuff ‘illegal' and then knock off early."

After 40 years in the consumer electronics industry, Clayton says he has a good idea of what the American consumer wants with TV viewing -- video content that is easy to use, affordable, and available anywhere. DISH is providing all of those things with the ability to skip commercials on recorded content and giving the consumer the freedom to watch video content on his TV, mobile phone, tablet, or computer.

"Broadcasters would have you believe that it's illegal to skip TV commercials. But that's something we've all done since the introduction of the remote control. If it's illegal, then we're just a nation of outlaws," Clayton said. "Seriously, we think advertising can be better targeted to the viewer. So DISH isn't just about giving people the ability to hop over commercials. We're designing different ways to reach viewers with messages they might actually care about."

"It's a great honor to be part of this celebration of the free market American way of business. We are celebrating our freedom to innovate and our reason for business: pleasing the American consumer," Clayton concluded.

I wish they'd also fight for our right to have a la carte programming.

Or our right to have unencrypted digital recordings.

Billionaire John Paulson thinks so too. I want Dish on my smart device with just an App from Dish on it. All the Dish hardware under my tv will no longer be needed, as well as the wiring and Dish mounted to my home. This is exactly what Dish is going to offer the customer. Bring it on Charlie! Used to wonder why the other media companies rode Charlie so hard. Now I see, this disruptive technology and genius assembly of the pieces to do it has them all running scared. With all the Billions being loaned to Dish and the billionaires supporting this, its only a matter of time. see link below. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/major-sprint-investors-rally-around-dishs-bid/2013-04-17

How about stop charging extra for HD and lose the extra receiver fees.At least for those like me who own,and installed, all the equipment and pay full package price every month. ;)

If a Dish/Sprint deal will go as smooth as the Dish/Hughesnet Gen4 (aka DishNet), then it's obvious why a merger would be bad. Two tech visits that couldn't get it working right. Two techs who didn't know what the error codes meant. One tech who admitted the training they received on the new hardware was a, "joke." Two months of phone calls trying to explain I couldn't send back the hardware because the tech took the equipment upon uninstall. STILL receiving empty boxes to return equipment. 2 months of services charged after hardware was removed.. and was never able to get full amount refunded since cancellation.

...been a Dish customer for 15+ years and it was all smooth until this. This experience has been on par with something from AT&T, United Airlines, or Comcast.

tedb3rd, you just nailed it right there as to why the buy out of Sprint will be far far better than anyone can see thus far. With the new land based network, just as with the cellular companies, there will be no more questionable installers having to come and install hardware, because there will be no more hardware in your home. Your smart phone will replace all of the hardware,dish and wiring. Just go to Google/Apple store from your own device and download the Dish app, enter your data and bamm, you got service. Probably won't be a credit check any longer as you no longer will be renting Dish equipment. Think of the savings this will bring to Dish, No more installers to deal with, No more more hardware to design, manufacture and support. No more phone banks to to take orders, All of the needed hardware and software that is needed already resides on your smart phone/device. Miracast or for the Apple crew "airplay" will send the 1080p picture and 5.1 surround sound to your TV at home, hotel, freinds house etc etc. Say you want to save or order a movie, cloud based storage will handle all of that. A physical hard drive and all the trouble that comes with it will be a thing of the past. Simple as that. You guys have to start thinking cellular and how the cellular companies operate along with how new disruptive technology is right here, right now. There are some HUGE savings for the company mentioned above and unless Direct TV can purchase a cellular company or be bought out by one, they will no longer be a competitor for Dish, thus bringing in many more Billions for Dish. This is a Revolution in the industry and we have a front row seat. Enjoy!

I'm on board, but depending on your age, you may not be around to see that kind of service. Rather than do a re-write, I'll just say;

14 million subs, 300 plus channels in HD. Through in multiple independent viewers in most of those subs homes. Not doing that over cellular anytime soon. Those Dishes will remain for quite some time.

Say you want to save or order a movie, cloud based storage will handle all of that. A physical hard drive and all the trouble that comes with it will be a thing of the past. Simple as that.
Yep, and throw fair use right out the window.

They do if you don't use paperless, autopay for your bill.

Now I don't pay extra for HD, but I guess some still do.
Well, then that would technically be charging extra for not using paperless billing and autopay. :p