dish screwed me

cobra55

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2005
ky
ok i sighed up with dish a couple of weeks ago while i was sitting on there home page saying NO CONTRACT, free install and all that,so i called today
to check on a realign for my dish and come to find out they put me on a 1 year contract.so i called billing to find out what was going on, couldn't
get anything out of the outsourser, i since i paid my first bill early.i'm
cancelling the credit card and will pay by money orders only,plus
i will never own my equipment, and i will have to pay the shipping to return
it whenever i drop this company, (NOT)they want it they can come and get it
how this company can claim #1 in customer support by j.d.powers has to be a lie.anyone think of switching to dish DON'T !!!!!!

Did Dish screw you or did you do it to yourself?

The installer presents a contract for you to read and sign at Install, what were the terms that you accepted?
did you signup direct with dish online or thru a retailer?
Many retailers do require a 1 year contract even if Dish doesn't.

If you signed up direct with dish online you should have been presented a screen giving you the option to select a 1 or 2 year committent and get your first 3 months of programming for $19.99 and also get the Dish Protection Plan free for the contract term you selected.
The same web screen has the option to decline these Promo offers and pay the reguler programming rate with no committent.

People, didn't you mommy ever teach you that you need to read what you are signing (or in his case sighing)?!? As I see it, you can't blame anyone but yourself for this one!

Also, Is it really true that the customer has to pay shipping to return equipment when they cancel ???? I have seen the boxes they send out, all prepaid UPS tags from what I've seen.

The look like....

JPointerWI said:
Also, Is it really true that the customer has to pay shipping to return equipment when they cancel ???? I have seen the boxes they send out, all prepaid UPS tags from what I've seen.

Yeah, I have seen the boxes. They look like little coffins. :tombstone

JPointerWI said:

Send them back USPS Media Mail.

ok i tried,know you can learn the hard way, i'm was telling you, what c.s.told me and no i didn't sign anything,

here is a good example from another post

Dish doesn't want to replace our broken receiver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a 508 that is less than a year old. We have the Dish extended warranty. We have begun having all kinds of problems with it locking up and other error messages. We called Dishnetwork to get a replacement receiver, like we have in the past, they insisted that a technician come out even though they were sure there was a problem with the receiver. The tech came out and said the receiver was bad. He said the only way to replace it was with a 510, but there would be a DVR fee that would be waived on all receivers if we kept everything pack. Is this true, that you get unlimited free DVRs if you have everything pack?

cobra55 said:
ok i tried,know you can learn the hard way, i'm was telling you, what c.s.told me and no i didn't sign anything,

The installer should have presented you with a contract with the terms and conditions to sign.
Did you do your own Install and activate service over the phone?
They should have a recording of the terms and conditions you accepted if so.

Did you get the first 3 months programming at a discounted rate?
That promo does require a 12 month commitment.
The terms and conditions are available online to view befor ordering and you said you did visit the website.

Whats your problem with the 12 month commitment?
It seems foolish to risk damaging your credit over this unless you know for sure you won't keep the service 12 months.

If you didn't sign a contract and the terms presented were verbally different
I suggest you contact the CEO office and work this out in a civil manner.

I joined DishNetwork back in May. Here's my experience regarding contracts:

1) The installers (3 showed up!) said I had gotten a great deal on not having a year contract/commitment. (I went with SunDish, which another thread on here makes it seem shady, but I had a good experience with them)
2) At the end of the install, the installers called to activate the receivers. At that time, they handed the phone to me to chat with the account manager/CSR, who reiterated what I was ordering, how much each would cost per month, and the fact that I had no annual commitment.
I was then presented with a couple of promotions which had an annual commitment. I politely declined. :D
3) After the chat, installer got back on the phone with the account manager/CSR, pulled out a bunch of stuff to sign, one of which said "no annual commitment" or words to that effect.

I presume, from my own experience with Dish Network, that the issue of a contract probably came up at least 2 if not 3 times during your install, or that you would have been told about a contract at least 2x.