Dish Service-is this the best they have?

radog

Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
San Clemente,Ca
I'm on my third 612 in less than two months of new service and I'm about to cancel the contract based on Quality of Service. The sound cutouts, the DVR skipping and breaking up, the cutouts right in the middle of something you've made an effort to watch...it's very frustrating.

I've been told that the amazing saving grace is the 722k replacement for the 612. My real question is this really the all-being fix for the issue's? I've had the install guy back out and the signal strength and alignment is spot on according to him. I don't use any house wiring so it's all new from the dish into the receiver. The power is perfect. I just don't get it......plus the fact I have to call into these idiots again and let them know their latest shipped replacement works pretty much like the last 2. I left Cox cable based on quality of service. It amazes me that I'm seeing pretty much the same thing on Dish. The install guy also does Direct TV and says Dish is much better than Direct TV here on the west coast. Sometimes I'd like to dump the whole thing..... It really bugs me that while all this is going on, I just keep paying the bill.......

Roger

It's the 612. We had one bad one and luckily got a good replacement. Just go with the 722. Ours has been a lot better than our 612.

The 612 is the outlier of all the ViP receivers. The 722 and 722k are the best of the lot but like all electronics, things sometimes go bad. My 722 has been purring for a couple years with no hiccups (knock on wood).

I'm on the phone with Dish now...... My point is why should I have to pay for an upgrade to the 722k just to get service that works???? They are asking for a $200.00 upgrade fee.....amazing.......I can buy a 722k for that much...

Well, they upgraded it to the 722k for $100.00 and gave 3 months of movie channels. They're coming out this afternoon to take care of it.

Another question comes to mind....why don't they just charge $100.00 up front and eliminate the 612's if they are so much trouble.... That would seem to make better business sense than putting a new customer through the ringer trying to get decent service. Who knows...

Roger

It doesn't mean much to a lot on here, but my mother in law has had a 612 for nearly a year w/o any issues... (knocks on wood) Was it getting plenty of ventilation? If not, you're most likely going to have troubles w/ the 722 as well...

just a thought

It doesn't mean much to a lot on here, but my mother in law has had a 612 for nearly a year w/o any issues... (knocks on wood) Was it getting plenty of ventilation? If not, you're most likely going to have troubles w/ the 722 as well...

just a thought
Good point about the ventialtion. I lost two receivers due to heat. I know have a USB fan sucking the air through my 722, it generally keeps the receiver 10 degrees cooler than it would be without it.

Ross

Well, they upgraded it to the 722k for $100.00 and gave 3 months of movie channels. They're coming out this afternoon to take care of it.

Another question comes to mind....why don't they just charge $100.00 up front and eliminate the 612's if they are so much trouble.... That would seem to make better business sense than putting a new customer through the ringer trying to get decent service. Who knows...

Roger

Might be too late but you should have called executive customer service, I had similar problems with many replacements. They did a free upgrade plus included the ota module.

Might be too late but you should have called executive customer service, I had similar problems with many replacements. They did a free upgrade plus included the ota module.

Or could still call or email CEO and complain nicely. Maybe get a $100 credit.

I have had the same problems with the 612. When I asked why they said it was known problem but offered no options other than reboot.

There is no direct customer line.. call (800)333-3474, request to speak with ERT or the Executive Resolutions Team and they'll set you up.

Well, after viewing for just one evening I can say is was definitely the 612 units. We watched everything delayed on the DVR last night and there wasn't a glitch anywhere. The tech that came in didn't change anything on the setup so the only and I mean only conclusion one can come to is it was the 612. I don't know how I can say it more bluntly!

Now the real question is why does everyone have to go through this?? If they just supplied the 722k in the first place customer service ratings would be outta site! I believe if they standardized on the 722k the overall cost impact would be negligible. So....I'm going to try and get the $100.00 bucks credited based on the facts as they are. Probably won't work but I'll give it a go!

Thanks for all the input!

Roger

Glad you got it replaced. Hope you start enjoying the service you are paying for now!

+ 1
I almost left dish because of the 612, they gave me an out if the problems continued, but I tried one more time to get a 722 instead after the 6th 612 went down and they agreed so I am staying, its working great now.

Just for the record, I've had a 612 for ~18months with very little issues (knock HARD on wood). I'm sure if you look through the threads enough, you'll find problems with EVERY receiver type.

When the 612 first came out a couple years ago and we first started installing them i think the fail rate for them was like 50% or higher for our office! I haven't had any issues with them lately but still bring a backup with me on all installs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts