Dish Signal reliable in Anchorage?

configsys

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
I'm moving to Anchorage and was wondering if the signal there is reliable especially during the winter? I've read you need at least a 42" dish. I used to subscribe to the HD package and was hoping to have the same in Alaska. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm moving to Anchorage and was wondering if the signal there is reliable especially during the winter? I've read you need at least a 42" dish. I used to subscribe to the HD package and was hoping to have the same in Alaska. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My brother owns a cabin rental resort in Seward. He installed Dish to all 6 cabins connected to a 5 foot dish..He says it works great..

You need a 39" or larger dish for 119 and a 5-6 footer for 110. Good news is there is HD on 110 just for Alaska (its on a spotbeam)

My brother owns a cabin rental resort in Seward.

I saw an episode of "Lock down" last night about the prison located there in Seward, to imagin that in the middle of this valley surrounded by snow capped mountains is a high security prison makes you go wonder who thought of that idea. But the good part about it was knowing that of the one successful escape atempt they caught the guy shortly after he got out, but there is one guy there that they showed I would hope never escapes, he is one sick indivdual.

In the "old days", a large dish was necessary. Since the institution of the Alaska Spot Beams, a 30 incher should do nicely. HD, off the 110, requires a second D300. I just installed one yesterday and we are pulling in the Alaska Spots @ signal strength of 85+. I had Dish turn on the Alaska HD pack this morning and are watching the French Open as I write. We are also anxiously awaiting the Anchorage HD Locals, which should be available to customers next week, as I understand it. These will also be on the 110 satellite. Hope this helps.:)

thats some good info 6coho if all they want is the spotbeam stuff :)

I assume if you need other channels on 110 its back to a bigger dish??

thats some good info 6coho if all they want is the spotbeam stuff :)

I assume if you need other channels on 110 its back to a bigger dish??

Correct Iceberg. A 6' dish is the only sure way to get all of 110. With it the spotbeams come in at a 123 to 125 level and the rest of the tp's run in the 80's. I use a 30" dish for 119 and only lose signal if the rain or snow is extremely heavy, but even then the locals, on 119, come in fine. Looking forward to next week also and seeing some of the locals in HD.

Correct Iceberg. A 6' dish is the only sure way to get all of 110. With it the spotbeams come in at a 123 to 125 level and the rest of the tp's run in the 80's. I use a 30" dish for 119 and only lose signal if the rain or snow is extremely heavy, but even then the locals, on 119, come in fine. Looking forward to next week also and seeing some of the locals in HD.

I agree with you Red. I have little need for the programing on the rest of the 110, so I repointed the 30 incher, which I had been using at 148, for the distant CBS HD West. I have a six footer as well, pointed at the 119. Since I'm only feeding one HDTV with the 110 signal, it saved me a major rewiring job to use the small dish for 110. If I run into too many weather problems, I'll probably adopt your configuration.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)