Dish/Sinclair Dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjm8047

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
syracuse,ny
I got a message on the bottom of the TV screen on WB 43 saying "Dish is taking away syracuse local WB on May 31 2005 if they don't get a new contract by then and if you want to keep this channel call your local cable company or call Direct TV".Do you think this channel be on my channel guide on June 1st? :confused:

I didnt know that could happen......I mean I knew about the Viacom issue taking away CBS...but that was because it was part of the other channels Viacom held.

no

what I was saying is I thought once a local was on, it was permanently on (no contarcts)

Last year, Viacom held CBS hostage for the O&O areas when Dish was negotiating stations like Nick, MTV, etc.

Sinclair dispute?

I saw the same message (same wording!!) this morning in our local Raleigh-Durham WB station.

Is your local WB owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group? This sounds more like a dispute between Sinclair and Dish...

If that's the case, and without knowing the details of the dispute, my initial sympathies are with Dish... After all, these (Sinclair) are the jerks that are preventing most digital cable companies in the country from carrying the HDTV signal of their owned local stations, trying to extort them for money...

A friend of mine here, who has DISH, says it happened this morning on our local Sinclair NBC affill.
I am SO glad I have 5 other ways to get network signals, so I DON'T have to depend on these scummy broadcasters like Sinclair. :D :D :D

Can't wait to see when this happens with our local CBS & UPN affills, since they are owned by another scummy broadcaster Nexstar, who has already said they have NO intention of offering either station in HD, since in our market, they use BOTH digital allocations to get BOTH stations on BOTH sides of our markets. (neither station can tranverse the entire market & this was there solution to get a UPN affiliate in our market - before this, one of the analog stations was just a CBS translator, abeit high-powered one)

Oh boy Sinclair. They're such fun to negotiate with (so I've heard)

Viacom all over again, they're even doing screen crawls huh?

I wonder if Echostar is quickly looking for a way to put those sinclair stations on a commerical intergration system so they can block out the crawls like they did with Viacom. I think currently most/all locals stations just get sent through

here's a website: http://www.sbgi.net/misc/dish.shtml

pjm8047 said:
I got a message on the bottom of the TV screen on WB 43 saying "Dish is taking away syracuse local WB on May 31 2005 if they don't get a new contract by then and if you want to keep this channel call your local cable company or call Direct TV".Do you think this channel be on my channel guide on June 1st? :confused:

I just saw the same thing on my UPN 24 and WB 18 stations about 1/2 hour ago. What is the deal with this? We are paying to have the locals and now they saying that if "negotiations" don't go well that they will be taking these channels away? This is BS! :confused: :confused: :confused:

dish would probably do what they did with the viacom channels. a Whopping $1 credit for each channel you lose, assuming the dont come to terms.

BFG said:
dish would probably do what they did with the viacom channels. a Whopping $1 credit for each channel you lose, assuming the dont come to terms.

Wasn't there also a PPV coupon involved? You don't need all of your local channels: you'll have a PPV coupon! All the fun you need.

They are threatening to take away our FOX and ABC stations here and yes its Sinclair. There's half our main network channels gone. Probably a lot of my customers gone with it just for seeing that scrolling. I hope Dish Network blocks it. I already have one customer calling me up about it wanting compensation if the channel goes away and another that wont answer the phone to get a SuperDish upgrade now that threatened to get DirecTv because of the credit card requirement they had to get a SuperDish upgrade (which was recently dropped).

I know the next Charlie Chat is after the expiration date, but I think there's a retailer chat coming up that they should address this

Its a shame that the owner of half our main network channels has to want so much for them. I remember there was an issue with two of the channels and they were not on when this market was launched.

I got the scroll on my local FOX station here in OKC during my post-work (DVRed) dose of Judge Judy(!) So who do I need to kill? You just do not mess with my Judge Judy.

Here is the list of all Sinclair properties nationwide. I suggest that anyone with locals in these cities call the local stations and COMPLAIN LOUDLY AT THEM. These are stations that got free airwaves to serve you and they are trying to extort money and carriage agreements from you (as a subscriber to Dish YOU PAY THE CARRIAGE FEE).

Baltimore WBFF 45 Fox
Baltimore WNUV 54* WB
Birmingham WTTO 21 WB
Birmingham WDBB 17* WB
Birmingham WABM 68 UPN
Buffalo WUTV 29 Fox
Buffalo WNYO 49 WB
Cedar Rapids KGAN 2 CBS
Champaign WICD 15 NBC
Champaign WICS 20 NBC
Charleston, SC WMMP 36 UPN
Charleston, SC WTAT 24* Fox
Charleston/Huntington WCHS 8 ABC
Charleston/Huntington WVAH 11* Fox
Cincinnati WSTR 64 WB
Columbus, OH WSYX 6 ABC
Columbus, OH WTTE 28* Fox
Dayton WKEF 22 ABC
Dayton WRGT 45* Fox
Des Moines KDSM 17 Fox
Flint WSMH 66 Fox
Greensboro/Winton-Salem WXLV 45 ABC
Greensboro/Winton-Salem WUPN 48 UPN
Greenville, SC WLOS 13 ABC
Greenville, SC WBSC 40* WB
Kansas City KSMO 31 WB
Las Vegas KVWB 21 WB
Las Vegas KFBT 33 Ind
Lexington WDKY 56 Fox
Madison WMSN 47 Fox
Milwaukee WCGV 24 UPN
Milwaukee WVTV 18 WB
Minneapolis KMWB 23 WB
Mobile/Pensacola WEAR 3 ACB
Mobile/Pensacola WFGX 35* Ind
Nashville WZTV 17 Fox
Nashville WUXP 30 UPN
Nashville WNAB 53* WB
Norfolk WTVZ 33 WB
Oklahoma City KOCB 34 WB
Oklahoma City KOKH 25 Fox
Paducah KBSI 23 Fox
Paducah WDKA 49* WB
Peoria WYZZ 43 Fox
Pittsburgh WPGH 53 Fox
Pittsburgh WCWB 22 WB
Portland, ME WGME 13 CBS
Raleigh WLFL 22 WB
Raleigh WRDC 28 UPN
Richmond WRLH 36 Fox
Rochester, NY WUHF 31 Fox
San Antonio KABB 29 Fox
San Antonio KRRT 35 WB
Springfield, MA WGGB 40 ABC
St. Louis KDNL 30 ABC
Syracuse WSYT 68 Fox
Syracuse WNYS* 43 WB
Tallahassee WTWC 40 NBC
Tallahassee WTXL 27* ABC
Tampa WTTA 38* WB
Tri-Cities WEMT 39 Fox

See ya
Tony

Start with the fact: E* is not taking away the channels.

E*'s permission to carry the channel is dependent on Sinclair allowing them to be carried. E* would carry them all, for free, if Sinclair elected - but they chose to hold their channels hostage and charge E* for the rights to carry them. When the contract ends E* loses permission to carry the channels - and they CANNOT carry them unless Sinclair allows them to continue.

So when you read that crawl that says E* is dropping the channel read it as "Sinclair is refusing to allow E* to carry the channel" past May 31st. It is a much more accurate statement.

JL

Bye Sinclair. After you blocked Nightline's tribute to our fallen troops, I haven't watched a minute of your broadcasts. I'll be perfectly happy to see you gone from Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)