Dish/Sky options in Mexico

gmcgown

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
Fort Worth
I have a friend who lives in Mexico who is interested in obtaining HD programming. Anyone out there know what his options are for obtaining English language broadcasts in HD?

Sky Latin America is not the answer. They have terrible quality control, lip sync issues, SAP issues, audio level and stereo-mono issues and scheduling issues. The onscreen schedule is wrong half the time and sometimes comes up in French instead of Spanish. You can't see it in English. The English language lineup is bad and the premium channel line ups (HBO, Showtime,etc.) don't match the domestic schedule, i.e. HBO Latin America does not broadcast the linup of HBO E, W or any other, and is a year behind in series content.

As for Dish, I can only answer for my geographic location, which is Cancun. 119 is available most of the day, with some limitations on certain transponders between 3 AM and 8:30 AM. I don't know why that is, but it's a fact. 110 used to be reliable, but lately is becoming increasingly difficult to access no matter which antenna you have. The 6 available transponders go in and out all day long.

HD options in English in Mexico

Thanks so much for the information, even though it's a little disheartening. I have forwarded your information to my pal down there. (and I hope he doesn't jump off the roof... he just bought a 40" plasma HD set) If you learn more from any of your friends in Mexico, please let me know.

gmcgown said:
Thanks so much for the information, even though it's a little disheartening. I have forwarded your information to my pal down there. (and I hope he doesn't jump off the roof... he just bought a 40" plasma HD set) If you learn more from any of your friends in Mexico, please let me know.

Tell him to buy an HD DVD player... Make sure he dosent confuse HD DVD with BluRay though:) Unless of course he wants to pay twice the price for total inferiority..

guffy1 said:
Tell him to buy an HD DVD player... Make sure he dosent confuse HD DVD with BluRay though:) Unless of course he wants to pay twice the price for total inferiority..

Just to be the Devil's Advocate :devil: :devil: tell him to fully research both HDDVD and BluRay so that he can get the big picture on these two new techs. Then once fully researched tell him to make a decision based on what he found out. There are both pros and cons to both HDDVD and BluRay

Star Choice would be the best solution for his situation in Mexico.
HD signals will work on a 30 to 36 inch antenna throughout the country,
from Anik F2/Ku-band.

Chop-Chop said:
Just to be the Devil's Advocate :devil: :devil: tell him to fully research both HDDVD and BluRay so that he can get the big picture on these two new techs. Then once fully researched tell him to make a decision based on what he found out. There are both pros and cons to both HDDVD and BluRay

If he does his research he will most definately end up at HD DVD... :)

Chop-Chop said:
No problem but let him make the decision for himself and not based on one post :p

I was mostly just goofing anyways :)

When I made my comments I forgot that he actually did have a vialble broadcast HD option in Star Choice..

HD DVD is awesome though..Honestly, I have never actualy witnessed BluRay first hand, but from what Ive read at AVS, its a train wreck..

As usual...Guffy stating absolutes without witnessing first hand. I did witness both and i have to tell you they both looked fantastic. The source material (DVD's) do make a big difference though, some are just fantastic and others don't look any better than the original DVD. My advice, try using at least the same title when you do your comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)