DISH Time Clock Off 20 sec

Tom Seim

Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
I have noticed that programs start their recording at a different time than the Dish DVR. The difference isn't much, about half a minute, but it is annoying. It is especially annoying with the Wally since there is only one tuner and you can't afford to have the program start early or stop late. I checked the precise amount of offset using the NIST UTC and it is 20 sec. Why does Dish have this time offset?

I have noticed that programs start their recording at a different time than the Dish DVR. The difference isn't much, about half a minute, but it is annoying. It is especially annoying with the Wally since there is only one tuner and you can't afford to have the program start early or stop late. I checked the precise amount of offset using the NIST UTC and it is 20 sec. Why does Dish have this time offset?
DISH gets the signal first from the stations and then it uplinks to the satellite and back to you in your house ,so there is a satellite delay. It is the way it has always been with satellite.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I get that: what I don't get is why the recorded programs are off by this amount of time (they are also being delayed by this uplink/downlink time as well).

Wallys actually have two tuners

I think we need some clarification as to exactly what DVR setup the OP is using. He mentions "recording" and also "Dish DVR" so I'm going to assume he has 2 timers until we know different. Is this an external harddrive connected to the Wally?

I can only assume that for live network programming, a station can only pass it along once it gets it from the originating net. So if they're getting it in the first place from satellite and then DiSH is picking it up offair and re-uplinking it, there's going to be a lag of some sort. The idea that stations hold off on program starts to insert extra ads breaks down in that the program would then run up against the top of the next hour or half hour- couldn't they come out equal by starting the show "on time" and then putting the "extra" ads at the tail end? Or maybe you're figuring that the station is counting on people tuning in and paying more attention at a program's anticipated start than at the end, where they may tune out to another channel or take a restroom break...and so they take advantage of that. A moviehouse likely couldn't command much of an ask to run all those commercials they now do after the end credits rather than before they run the movie.

I compared the time on my Joey 3.0 and the time on my Samsung S23+ and there was a delay of less than 2 seconds from time through AT&T's network and the display of the time on the Dish Network guide on my TV screen.

I think it is annoying too, but I don't worry about it with a Hopper 3. I have my default timers set to start one minute early and end time to ten minutes. No issue with the Hopper 3's sixteen turners.

Reactions: Bobby
I think it is annoying too, but I don't worry about it with a Hopper 3. I have my default timers set to start one minute early and end time to ten minutes. No issue with the Hopper 3's sixteen turners.
Of course he has a Wally which is a whole different thing. He mentions DVR so he has that 2nd tuner with an EHD.

The tuners are physically built into the wally. They have always had two tuners but the Second tuner is generally used for updates and is why your guide can update in the background without having to wait for it to watch TV.
But unless you have the DVR option added to the account you can only use one tuner. That’s what I’m saying.

This issue primarily involves the Wally which has only one tuner available for recording programs (the Hopper has 16 tuners so you can add time at the beginning and end of a program). There may be a 2nd tuner used for the guide and software updates, but this IS NOT available to record programs. As a consequence, you do not get the end of programs UNLESS you record the very next program on the same channel. There is no good reason for this anomaly.
It is apparent that most Dish customers, and the ones replying here, have never used a Wally before.

This issue primarily involves the Wally which has only one tuner available for recording programs (the Hopper has 16 tuners so you can add time at the beginning and end of a program). There may be a 2nd tuner used for the guide and software updates, but this IS NOT available to record programs. As a consequence, you do not get the end of programs UNLESS you record the very next program on the same channel. There is no good reason for this anomaly.
It is apparent that most Dish customers, and the ones replying here, have never used a Wally before.
So I did a little searching and found with the two tuners you can watch one thing and record a second thing at same time, however you are correct in that it will not record on both tuners at same time. So this would be a software thing, and why they designed it that way beats me.

While I dont personally have a Wally, my dad does and since he is electronic illiterate I am the one who has to show him how his system works so I've worked with one now for a couple years.