Dish/TIVO combo?

not_ally

Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
Hi y'all,

I'm moving to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Because of SMA's location, Dish is the only viable satellite service for US TV programming. So here's my dilemma: I am a TIVO fanatic and a technical idiot, so am having a hard time accepting the loss of my (very user friendly) TIVO. Would it be possible get a Dish satellite and programming, a regular (ie; non-PVR) Dish receiver, and then attach it to my TIVO so that I can access the satellite output, record programming, etc. using the TIVO unit? I got my TIVO unit at an electronics retailer (not through DIRECTV) and the satellite cord went directly into the TIVO, was not connected to a separate DIRECTV receiver. Sorry to be so stupid - obviously any insight would be very greatfully received.

You're not stupid! I have my Tivo setup this way on a non-pvr unit. You just need to get used to not channelsurfing, as it takes forever!

I have my series 1 hooked up to a Dish 301 via S-Video, and use the Infared blaster to control the 301. Works pretty well!

Edit: Ohwait..just read the WHOLE message. You have a DirecTivo? If the satellite went -direct- into the Tivo..then...no, that won't work. If you have a standalone Tivo that works with Cable or a cable box, then you could.. But if you have a DirectTivo from DirecTV, then no, that won't work with Dish!

...and don't forget the biggest UPS you can afford. The power reliability and fluxuation down there was awful for the time (nine years) I lived in Aguascalientes. The UPS will protect your investment and keep your PVR/DVR, TV and other components alive during the outages. I would recommend the APS Smart 1400/1500 if you can afford the $$$.

Thanks for the reminder, Eric, I'll add it to the list. I like your graphic by the way - head beating against the computer is pretty much my approach, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)