DISH to Become National Facilities-based Wireless Carrier

Regardless, the only option in my area is Verizon. There's one tower in town and that's the only carrier on it. I've tried to move on from Verizon before but always come back. They just have the best network, especially for rural areas.
I have the distinct advantage of having both Verizon and TMo. I prefer TMo for various reasons, however my Verizon phone gets signal where TMo does not, and my TMo phone gets service where my Verizon does not. They compliment each other, and it’s about 50/50. I have to drive all over AZ to collect payments, so I get to test this out all over the place with YouTube especially.

I like a no contract Note10+ with Verizon. I am happy with the service. From what I read, Dish is going to offer cell service to t mobile and boost customers. How is that not a cellphone company? Is there internet service going to be cheaper than Cox cable?

“The United States is really the only country that I know of where the prepaid business actually is less expensive than the postpaid business"

Once I figured out how much cheaper the prepaid side is, I called Verizon Telesales and switched my 2 lines to the prepaid side. The only difference that I've seen is I can't finance phones on prepaid. That doesn't make much of a difference for me anymore- I can pay for phones outright or finance them through other vendors like Affirm.

I now pay $65/mo for 2 lines with 16gb. Postpaid can't come anywhere close to that.

I know some people at work whose Verizon bills are as big as a car payment. I've helped some of them switch to the prepaid side, but some of them are tied up with phone payments. One lady I work with has a monthly bill just over $500.

“The United States is really the only country that I know of where the prepaid business actually is less expensive than the postpaid business"

Once I figured out how much cheaper the prepaid side is, I called Verizon Telesales and switched my 2 lines to the prepaid side. The only difference that I've seen is I can't finance phones on prepaid. That doesn't make much of a difference for me anymore- I can pay for phones outright or finance them through other vendors like Affirm.

I now pay $65/mo for 2 lines with 16gb. Postpaid can't come anywhere close to that.

I know some people at work whose Verizon bills are as big as a car payment. I've helped some of them switch to the prepaid side, but some of them are tied up with phone payments. One lady I work with has a monthly bill just over $500.

Yeah, we have AT&T prepaid for a similar price. We buy our iPhones on our Barclay card for 0% for 18 months.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm not a technology guru by any means, but it would be cool if the Hopper 4 or 5 someday has the 5G service built in as an option you can activate. Only other problem would be is it possible to send the 5G signal down the satellite wire to the Dish so you never have a dead spot. (I know, not possible)

That's a good deal also.

I wonder why more people don't use Prepaid? Lack of marketing? Not understanding what the product is? Lack of ability to finance phones?
Most people I know have no idea how much data they use per month which makes it impossible for them to shop for a more affordable plan. So they just sign up for the $80 unlimited.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Most people I know have no idea how much data they use per month which makes it impossible for them to shop for a more affordable plan. So they just sign up for the $80 unlimited.

So what you're saying is prepaid is for more shrewd, price-conscious buyers ;)

I do keep track of my mobile data usage- there's a great app called MyDataManager that tracks it. Since I'm covered by wifi 90% of the time, I only ever use 5-6gb of my 16gb every month.

Reactions: pamajestic
I certainly don't fit the bill of a shrewd, price-conscious buyer. However, I have read on HoFo, don't know if it's accurate or not, that there is a pecking order of priority for broadband access. Postpaid is higher on that list than prepaid. The list includes those who haven't reached their various limits, those who have, proprietary prepaid, third party prepaid, etc.

If one were in an area of congestion and needed top priority, that may be one reason for opting for the more expensive postpaid. Just guessing.

Also, I've read where some features are available on postpaid which are not on prepaid. Probably most would be better off on prepaid, if they can afford to buy their phones some other way than postpaid.

There seems to be a lot of people who are happy with Visible, which is a Verizon unlimited prepaid plan for $40 per month. By joining a group, you can get it down to $25 per month. Visible | The Future Of Phone Service.

Reactions: tanman
There seems to be a lot of people who are happy with Visible

Visible isn't ready for prime time yet. I've tried them twice. While they are on Verizon's network, they're utilizing a different switching system. I encountered lots of dropped calls and "no service" notifications in areas where there are definitely Verizon towers. Also, there is absolutely no way to speak to a live person with Visible except through chat.

I maintain that Verizon's own in-house Prepaid division is the best if someone doesn't need to finance a phone or have 1000% certainty they won't be de-prioritized on a very busy tower. I've had a great experience with them, and I know I can talk to a live human being if I need to.

I use Visible for unlimited hotspot data only, and have been very satisfied with it at $25/mo. Even in congested areas our deprioritized speeds have been adequate for single device streaming with minimal buffering.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The second biggest of the CBRS auction winners, by money spent, was Wetterhorn Wireless which, according to Federated, is Dish. Dish will spend $912 .9 million and was also the biggest winner measured by number of licenses – winning a total of 5,492 licenses in 3,128 counties.

Reactions: TheKrell
I certainly don't fit the bill of a shrewd, price-conscious buyer. However, I have read on HoFo, don't know if it's accurate or not, that there is a pecking order of priority for broadband access. Postpaid is higher on that list than prepaid. The list includes those who haven't reached their various limits, those who have, proprietary prepaid, third party prepaid, etc.

If one were in an area of congestion and needed top priority, that may be one reason for opting for the more expensive postpaid. Just guessing.

Also, I've read where some features are available on postpaid which are not on prepaid. Probably most would be better off on prepaid, if they can afford to buy their phones some other way than postpaid.

There seems to be a lot of people who are happy with Visible, which is a Verizon unlimited prepaid plan for $40 per month. By joining a group, you can get it down to $25 per month. Visible | The Future Of Phone Service.

There is definitely a pecking order to network prioritization, but it varies. Pretty much anyone one a Verizon MVNO gets severely punished in my area. AT&T and T-Mobile MNVO users can barely tell most of the time. In other places, it is the the opposite. Feature-wise, you can generally find the features you are looking for these days. Other than 5G, there hasn't been much new feature wise from the industry in a few years anyway. My AT&T Prepaid service has every major feature available on to postpaid customers. I can even use AT&T Microcells with my phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts